Audio Help with the Stereo Set up

thenvk

Adept
Hello,

I am planning to get a new stereo system. Help me build the same.

Background:
I already have a Z5500 which I hooked up to my computer and is been used by all the family members. Now I need the new system in my bedroom. This would either be coupled with my HP touchpad/Cowon D2/Sansa clip plus/ Laptop.. I have a DIY sub that I made earlier which I can use. ( this is a simple passive sub, do not have a crossover or an amp)

Budget:
20k can extend up to 25k max.

Specific requirement:
Looking at towers and stereo/2.1 amp .

Models:
I first thought of DIY towers with peerless drivers and dropped from that as it is costing me 14k at the least and I can not be sure it sounds good. Spoke with mark from Craftel and he advised me for two models of towers . A 3way(12k) and a 4way(18.5k). Should I go with that?

Amp I thought of the below earlier as I can hook the towers and sub with that. Is this any good? If yes, I can complete this in 5k.
YJ 2.1 LM3886+TDA7294 68W+68W+160W Amplifier board+speaker protection | eBay

For the amp for temporary use,I have norge 100w amp that a friend is giving me. I can use it for some time.

Sound quality requirement:
I will listen to Indian film music and few English songs. rarely use it for movies. I listened to one of my frnds Sennheiser headphone which he was absolutely admired about the mids. I went for an audition and did not like them at all. So I am not much bothered about the mids. Need Deep, Smooth and strong base with excellent treble as a UE TF10.

Hope I gave all the required info. Please suggest me guys.

Thanks.

You could build an amp like the one you have linked to. There are many such on eBay. Sound quality from something like that will be far, far better than the Z5500 (say, 10x improvement). Note that a bridged 7294 like this will not be able to drive anything below 8 ohms unless you run it at 22VDC or or so.

For the 21-22k left over, suggest you look at a DIY setup. Craftel is an Indian company and I doubt the quality of their stuff far more than making something yourself.

You could import a passive speaker kit like this one: Speaker Building Supplies from Madisound

I would actually recommend you go fully biamped with imported drivers and PCBs (most common electronic parts are quite easily available in India now). My guess is that you could wrap up the electronics in about $150 or so, leaving a decent amount for the PSU and speaker drivers.

I don't understand though why you would need floorstanders when you already have a sub. It's not a reasonable requirement.

thank you guy for the replies.
@cranky: I am doubtful at importing the goods as they might get damaged on the way and they should get through the INDIAN custom officers .Peerless drivers are available in INDIA but the DIY 3 way would cost 12k only for drivers. No crossover,MDF and making charges included. I have to invest at least 8k more for components and to get it completed.Even if I do that If I do something wrong, sound quality will not be achieved. So thought going for craftel would be decent bet. Inclined towards towards towers as I can use them in future upgrades as well.

Do you thing the above amp can fulfil my bass requirement?
Here are Sub specs:
JBL - GT5-10 - 10" Subwoofer with single 4-ohm voice coil

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why you are thinking of a 3-way system if you already have a subwoofer. If you keep skewing the project goals I'm afraid no one can help you. A simple two-way with a sub is a far easier concept to make and integrate into a system.

Also, the subwoofer amplifier will not be able to handle a 4 ohm load. I've already said that in my earlier post.

I've never heard a well-designed speaker by an Indian company yet. Maybe things have changed, but I dunno. I suspect it will sound like shit. I'm not usually wrong about these things.

Good Luck with your project.

Back