Help needed in importing routers!!!

mib2_007

Disciple
OK, after a long head banging with local dealers of Cisco equipments here abut prices, I finally thought of buying Cisco routers from US for my CCNA/CCNP exams.

Now I would be importing 4-5 set of equipments which will easily weight about 20 KG or more and so packaging will be huge.

Now one of my friends is coming from US and I want him to get them along with him.

But here I am confused, how will he bring them on board? If he brings them as cargo, will their be additional charges??
What about customs over here, will they charge customs for that too?? coz lot of people bring US items without any hassle but since this will be a large package.. I am confused about the procedure.

Please help me people.

Do you have a lot of money to spend?

You definitely do not need to buy routers to practice for CCNA & CCNP!!!!!!

Use the simulators commonly available nowadays. In case you are anti piracy, just buy their licenses online via paypal/ cc.

In case you still import you need to pay:

X Rs - Cost of Router in the US

PLUS

25.5% of X Rs as Customs Tax

in Mumbai/ Thane/ some other locations:

5.5% of X Rs as Octroi Tax

If you still feel you need to practice on routers, then just enquire at NIIT/ Karrox or such classes for 1-2 months of practice only sessions, where they will let you work with the hardware for 3 Hrs a day for 5 days a week. That should be more than enough to cover CCNA CCNP with a CCSP.

Cheers!

Use GNS3 for routing practise. Buy couple of physical 35xx series L3 switches. You can connect simulated routers to physical devices as well. Infact, I followed blindhog.net videos and used PIX as firewall for my ADSL connection.

So, my suggestion would be to buy only switches, since they can't be simulated.

I used simulators... GNS3 is good but I would need these for my further certifications too.. so investing in them slowly...

Secondly, most troubleshooting in real world environment is coz of cable connections.. so hands on practice i vital if you want to very best...

and I will obviously sell them later, so cost will be nullified.

Rooman institute offers CCNP course for 55000 when I asked 1 yr earlier.... so setting up my own lab would be much cheaper.

thirdly, if I wanted to import myself.. I could always go for KMD route.

But I am asking what will be the options when my friend brings them here.

I think 4-5 router/switches will come in a TV box or something like that, I am wondering, what hassles he would have to go through.

Since routers are used, would it still attract customs, specially when my friend can tell them it his own stuff.

And what are the options if he ships them all marking package as 'GIFT' item.

and where did you got those customs charges?? have you imported routers earlier?? Wonder why routers come so costly in India.

On items like switches, routers , servers, laptops, the same rates apply. there is an exemption for laptops, if you carry upto 2 personally i think.

no way are you escaping the duty on switches and routers. even rma replacements attract same duty, relief is that the valuation reduces.

so how do people get laptops and all along with them without paying a penny?? :S

also since I am buying and importing used routers/switches, will their be some relief in duty?? how much can it cost me for a 50 lbs shipment approx??

You really dont understand do you?

CLEARANCE OF INCOMING PASSENGERS <- what can be brought in "without paying a penny"

Even if you get your routers and switches for "FREE", the customs agents will see the model numbers, find out the current prices, calculate depreciation as per the estimated age of the old units, and arrive at a current market value of the units. The customs will apply at this rate.

By the time this process is done and the money is paid, your hardware remains in their custody at the customs warehouses.

To avoid this hassle clearly declare a fair value of the goods in an import invoice and pay up. Use the services of Fedex/ DHL. They will pay the duties and get the clearances, without you having to run around. They wil submit all the receipts to you which you need to clear, and then you get delivery of your goods.

If you mis-declare you get caught, as routers, switches etc are regularly imported and they are more than aware of the original prices. the penalty for customs evasion is at discretion of the assessing officer, so if you reach that stage you are screwed royally.

We have suffered many instances of assessment clash, resulting in returning - reexporting without paying customs duty -back the devices in question (electronic/ hi tech) at our cost as a acceptable valuation could not be arrived at.

thank you for telling my friend.. I am new to this international buying stuff...

OK, so now I will declare the price of item at which I purchased it from eBay.

Now one more question that intrigues me is eBay has deals and prices which are way lower than the other international shops and so I will get them cheap.

But these items are really costly in India. (WHY SO???)

So now how will its value will be calculated?? from eBay invoice price or its cost in India or some random calculations??

Suppose I get one for $80 used 3640 router which I declare fairly along with copy of invoices, which is a real good deal and much cheaper than others... so now will 30% tax (i.e. $30) be calculated or it will be something different??

And by declaring a the value at which I purchased it, will now customs believe them??

And what is this 'gift' import? if something new is bought and someone from there sends it to me as 'gift', then what?

Please enlighten me, I am confused by these customs calculation of used products.

If you have paid for something, the best thing to do in such cases is attach a attested copy of the original bill/ invoices.

These would get marked at port of origin/ export also by their authorities.

In some cases however (auctions!) a 500$ value goods may have been bought at 50$. The officer is actually allowed to make you pay as per 25.5% approx on 500$ which is the ACTUAL VALUE irrespective of what you paid.

There are no random calculations. Prices of goods are very well known, as that is what the customs dept does and the only thing that they do.

If your ebay invoice is very low, expect a revaluation and taxes as per the same.

Assume router was orig for 1000$ new.

Lets say you bought at ebay for 80$

Lets say it is 4 years old.

So actual value is taken as an approx:

20% depreciation per year for 4 years on 1000$

i.e.: approx 460$

you may end up paying a tax as per this value IF the value declared is not accepted.

if your purchase price of 80 is accepted as fair value, you pay tax on that.

Note: values/ figures/ % above are just for example. If something is at 460$ depreciated, then you would not get it for less than 200$ without some very good luck.

self declaration is not really accepted, they would still valuate it on their own.

gifts are most dangerous, as you leave it open to them for valuation. You would remember the case of the kingfisher guy who wanted to bring back heritage indian items, and was asked to pay humonguous customs on that, even though he was gifting it for museum type purposes.

wow.. now I understand...

just one last thing... sites like cablesnadkits.com or routermall.com are not auction sites...

so if I buy 3640 from there like on this link Cisco 3640 Multifunction Platform Router Bundle - 64D/16F - Includes NM-1E2W ($79)

or Cisco 3640 router ($100)

then what?? now value is low, but it is not an auction, will be getting bills and is like amazon.
now I think site have calculated price considering all depreciation and all

now what?? price on this site or in international market with depreciation calculated by custom??

that.. so now wondering.. then I think direct purchase from site will be nice thing.
And eBay will be good then for KMD :)

Site prices should be fine. As for ebay/ KMD/ direct you need to work it out.

If its ebay global buying, i think they include all charges and ship.

KMD also would be including all charges, but u need to ask him.

Direct buy - the courier/ india post will pay and clear the goods, and they will come with the box and a bill to you to be paid in cash.

eBay Global buy even works?? coz whatever item I see... its availability is none.. no pricing.. nothing...

and do you know the import taxes for body building supplements also??

thanks for all you help.. really appreciate that :)

by the way what have you imported?? how much is the benefit in all this hassle (indian to final import prices)??

Oops. Didnt notice this thread.

mib. My routers and switches were brought by my relatives. I dont know the current scenario with custom. but back in 06-07 Custom officer didnt have Router/Switch in his custom book.

You can tell your friend to put the router in luggage. and if officer ask just tell him that its for my personal use. thats wat was worked out with my all relatives.

I think you can get customs exemption if u say that these items are professional equipment
" IMPORT OF PROFESSIONAL EQUIPMENT AS BAGGAGE
Professional Equipment is permitted to be imported to the following persons to the extent indicated below:

a. Indian Passengers returning after a stay abroad of atleast 3 months : upto a value of Rs. 20000

b. Indian Passengers returning after a stay of atleast 6 months : upto a value of Rs. 40000

For the purposes of baggage rules Professional Equipment means:

Such portable equipment, instruments, apparatus and appliances as are ordinarily required in the profession in which the returning passenger was engaged. This expression includes items used by carpenters, plumbers, welders, masons and the like; This concession is not available for items of common use such as Cameras, Cassette Recorders, Dictaphones, Typewriters, Personal Computers and similar items."
Check out this link
CLEARANCE OF INCOMING PASSENGERS

Back