PC Peripherals Help me configure a HTPC - 25K

I have got a 32" 720p Samsung LCD TV. I am planning to connect a HTPC via HDMI cable for watching Movies & playing Games on the TV.
Requirements -

* Smooth full HD playback

* Latest games compatibility for the next 2 years
Please suggest the specs for the HTPC.

Which MoBo + CPU combination should I go for, considering there will be a powerfull GPU in the box.
The dealers on TE, if you could help me with quotations + specs, it would be greatly appreciated.

assuming the 25K includes everything except audio and display you could probably consider the following:

1. Intel C2D e5200 3300

2. Gigabyte G31 E S2L 2700

3. Transcend 800MHz 2x2 GB 2300

4. WD 500GB 2800

5. Corsair VX 450 3500

6. ATI Radeon HD4770 8000

7. antec 300 3500

8. Aftermarket cpu cooler 2000

=============================

As usual sums above your budget @ 28100

A typical TE suggestion :p

If you want to have a gaming HTPC then u'll probably hae to OC a budget processor and live with some noise. Else a separation of concerns (if possible) is highly recommended.

sorry for hijacking the thread but i too am planning to make a HTPC.

But the problem is that everything is khayali pulao na

As currently i am in Shanghai and will be returning by october end i plan to buy a 46" LCD and build a HTPC (sort of) which will allow me play my media etc on that giant monitor (LCD screen) and also play occasional games and surf internet...whoa

I dont have anything in mind now...will pester you guys after few months :eek:hyeah:

till then will follow this thread

sarang said:
assuming the 25K includes everything except audio and display you could probably consider the following:
1. Intel C2D e5200 3300
4. WD 500GB 2800
5. Corsair VX 450 3500
7. antec 300 3500

If you want to have a gaming HTPC then u'll probably hae to OC a budget processor and live with some noise. Else a separation of concerns (if possible) is highly recommended.

Me too would recommend same. Dont underplay the cpu cooler, you are going to need it. The stock sucks big time.

~LT

Am sorry, but for this setup, won't you need an AV Receiver ??
Where is the DD and DTS decoding support ?

sarang said:
1. Intel C2D e5200 3300
4. WD 500GB 2800
5. Corsair VX 450 3500
7. antec 300 3500

linuxtechie said:
Me too would recommend same. Dont underplay the cpu cooler, you are going to need it. The stock sucks big time.

~LT

Not really I'd say. The stock CPU cooler is not noisy if it's not going to be clogged with dust. Have the Intel EIST on at all times. When the CPU is not loaded, the fan wont spin at the max speed and in turn wont be noisier. When the audio plays while watching a movie, you wouldn't notice it either.

I'd still go for a good aftermarket cooler, when I assemble an HTPC. Consider a Thermalright XP90 or the Ultima 90i which could be run passively if you've sufficient ventilation inside the enclosure. At least one good 80mm intake fan and another 80mm exhaust and you're set.

A couple of editions to Sarang's config - For the enclosure buy the Antec NSK2480. For 6k (ex Prime ABGB price!), you get a very good enclosure + an ANtec Earthwatts 380W PSU which could easily drive the system without any hiccups. I suggest you get this one instead of the tower-type enclosures. Take a look at the enclosure here from Prime - http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?...ategory_id=52&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53. You're saving close to 1k here. :p

@akshay: You'll need a dedicated AV receiver with a good sound card on the HTPC if you intend to use DD/DTS decoding. OP probably intends to use onboard audio considering the budget he's put up.

^Even Prime says it's OOS but once you place and order and pay some advance they could source it for you. :p

I would suggest the following for an HTPC >>

Antec NSK2480. For 6k

AMD X2 7850 - 4k

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP - 4.5k

2x 2GB Kingston 800Mhz RAM - 2.3k

WD 500GB - 3k

DVD Writer - 1.2k

Wireless Keyboard + Mouse - 1.5k

A Grand Total of 22k :p

THe Gigabyte board comes with 128MB Onboard ATI 3300 as well as an HDMI out and plays full HD files butter smooth :)

This is the same HTPC that i am planning to make for myself ;)

@Icefusion: he wants some gaming on it as well. :(

@gannu: :X get me and naga a nsk2408 please. :p, i guess LT would also like to pick one.

@xtr.pwnzor: hehe its DC had earlier typed a e7400 looking at his gaming needs and then had to cut back due to the 25K constraint.

@akshay: the suggesion is devoid of sound n display.

Thanks for your inputs guys. I was going over the posts today, & after some deliberation, though of this proposition.

DirectX 11 is supposed to be out with Windows 7, & DirectX 11 cards should be out later this year or the next year too. The current gen games are not entirely optimized for DX10 ( I am not a gamer, but thats the general perception i got from the gaming websites). So considering that the resolution of the LCD TV is just 13xx X 768, i was thinking that even a mediocre onboard GFX card should be able to pump the game at quality settings on such a small resolution. Am i correct or it doesn't work this way?

What I have in mind now is to spend about 5K, or 6K if the MoBo has WiFi too, and go for a MoBo with a descent onboard GFX card, which can power the games at Medium to High settings for the next few months, till DX11 cards enter the market.

Also, I don't really care about the CPU noise much. Spending 2-3K on CPU coolers would be difficult for me to explain to the "uninterested yet meddling in the affairs" people [read relatives].

If I can keep the budget within range for now, I can silently keep upgrading the machine without problems ;)

So suggest a MoBo + CPU combo with powerful onboard GFX & if possible, WiFi too.

Thanks for the help guys.

I too agree, for HTPC AMD+Gigabyte is the way to go.

Besides some Gigabyte either have DTS or DD support!!

But i had this question.

Can't use use software decoders and send out the DD/DTS sound to 5.1 logitech x540 speakers connected to Mobo 5.1 output ?

The PowerDVD software site says its got native decoders or something..! What's its all about ?

Also AMD HD3300 is probably the most powerful on board as of now.

Well, I have tested and confirming!

No need for AVR or hardware support for DD and DTS.

You can connect 5.1 speakers to the Mobo out and still enjoy Dolby Digital And DTS.

Thanks to AC3 filters.

So software can decode and send the sound to 5.1 Logitech X540.

I tested on VLC, Media Player Classic.

Should work with other players like Power DVD, WinDVD.

hv fun!!

Back