Storage Solutions HELP me buy an Ext HDD!!! Suggestions please.

Prabs1

Recruit
Friends,

I need to buy an external HDD, minimum 1 TB, preferably 2 or 3 TB if price is good.

The HDD will only be used for backing up my fast growing data once in a month and never for any other reason. Therefore, a very fast access speed is also not required.

I have seen Flipkart for reference but currently don't have any budget in mind. VFM is certainly desired.

Thanks in advance.

I would say go for WD 3tb. Also, if you need one, I have one only of 3 months old and still have 2 yrs+9months warranty left. I will be selling it soon in couple of days here.

I would say go for an internal drive, preferably, from Seagate (2TB or less) and then buy any enclosure. Since speed is not an issue for you, you can settle for USB2.0 enclosures, they are cheaper than USB3.0 enclosures. That would certainly take care of VFM aspect of your requirement.
More importantly, believe me, as amounts of data transfers increases (which it definitely would), you would regret for not giving due weightage to the speed aspect. PS: Don't buy 5400rpm HDDs either(these are the HDDs that come inside of cheaper models from the manufacturers.) Also, don't buy Seagate 3TB(it has 1yr warranty instead of standard 2yrs) because this model(ST3000DM001) is really prone to failures.

Thanks Sobirvs.

Though I would like to have a few more answers, still I have a few questions for you.
1. Why WD 3TB only. Any specific reasons?
2. Why are you selling yours if you are recommending one to me?
3. What is the price you are expecting for your Ex HDD?​
Would appreciate another reply from you.

Any of Seagate or WD are good. Toshiba/Hitachi- check out service centers at your place. Other than 2 1TB WD's all my storage is Seagate - no issues.

Even after adding import deposit/fee, Amazon has better rates than Indian sites.

Thanks Sobirvs.

Though I would like to have a few more answers, still I have a few questions for you.
1. Why WD 3TB only. Any specific reasons?
2. Why are you selling yours if you are recommending one to me?
3. What is the price you are expecting for your Ex HDD?​
Would appreciate another reply from you.

I wasn't pointing to 3tb specifically , I was pointing to WD. I have experience with seagate HDD and service of their sucks. But just check WD service reviews and you will know what I was talking about. WD <3

I'm selling mine just to collect money, I don't have need for one now. That was just when I had the addiction for collecting data. I'm over that. 750gb of my laptop's HDD is nuf :p

Well if you check ebay/fk/snapdeal all of them are selling mine for around 10,000 So I'm expecting 9k or more. As mine has warranty left and comes with all the invoice and stuff.

Also, next time please mention me like " @Sobirvs " < @ because I will get the notification and will be able to reply you fastly. If not, just quote my reply so that I get the notification :)

Thank you all for your inputs.

I will certainly need some time to comprehend and contemplate what should be the right decision under the present circumstances.

I do wait for some more suggestions though.

Cheers[DOUBLEPOST=1381227935][/DOUBLEPOST]How would knowledgeable people on techenclave rate "WD Elements 3.5 inch 2 TB Ext HDD"?

The FlipKart link is http://www.flipkart.com/wd-elements...HZVC&ref=b4e8f762-00fc-47eb-a84c-16ffdc526e83

Should I make up my mind for it? Please suggest.

Thanks

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Gentlemen! i waited for some more inputs but not getting anymore and since my Seagate GoFlex was going bad by the day, I went ahead an purchased a WD 2TB (My Book) from Cost to Cost yesterday for 6700/-

By the way, I managed to check the Seagate website and also found that my GoFlex is still under warranty, and that works as a soothing balm for my nerves. I have already written to Seagate's local office here along with screen shot of the Warranty Validation and just await their reply, keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks to all of you again.

Back