Graphic Cards Heating problem with my Visiontek 4870

kingkaran

Disciple
Hi felas,

Problem is with my visiontek 4870......tommorow ... i just opened my cpu chase to add n extra internal hdd n observed tht area above the fan in gpu was heating like hell u can barely touch mainboard in that area thn i started to monitor temp in gpuz 3.9 highest

(played dirt 2 for 15 mins) don,t even think about touching motherboard coz its burning like burning coal...:p

Idle no no no not even now :hap5:

@ 55% fan speed

load

(played dirt 2 for like 10 mins) ya bit of relief bt still very hot :mad:

idle still hot bt can touch

Is ma baby ok :huh: ?????

You idle temperatures are fine, though slightly on the higher side. Probably due to the TIM hardening and dust accumulating inside the GPU shroud. Am assuming the card is almost 9-10 months old..?

If you are comfortable open the covering and clean it out. Wipe clean the HSF/GPU Core contact surfaces with Isopropyl Alcohol and dust out the PCB. Else just game at 100% fan speed.

do consider cleaning the case and components once in a while.

heatsinks require servicing on regular intervals due to dusty environment like ours.

thnx for replying guys i had cleaned it about a month ago(used a airblower) n card is now more thn a year old(yh is in very gud condition) .... the thing i m more worried abt that "gpu temp(memio)" which is memory chip i guess .. n even with the fan speed of 84% it is idle at 68 degrees ...?

Then it is dirt stuck to the memory chips/and the pads which cool them. Same thing had happened to mine. I had to dismantle the whole GPU.

You can see it here.
1000961h.jpg

There is nothing wrong with those temperatures. I have a powercolor 1 GB 4870. I get teh same temps as you do. Its one year old now, but the temps have always been like yours. Dont worry about it..... Dont mess up with the TIM yet, or you rink it getting even warmer. Unless your room is air conditioned. Mine is not. And am talkin Mumbai summer man...

mine room is also not air conditioned so i guess temps r fine ... n as i m afraid of voiding warrenty of gpu by opening it ..(also googled that emps r just ok) also looking to sell it or trade it as i need more powerful gpu.... how much should i sell it for ?(no idea of present price of gpu) n its 512mb

If you are fine to game with memories running so hot, then there is nothing much you can do. Game with the fan running at 100% just to keep it save.

Back