Laptops Heads up: XPS M1330 issues with discrete graphics

RiO

Skilled
There is a widespread issue where M1330's with 8400M discrete graphics could be overheating as a result of the M1330's cooling design/solution that results in system freezes, blank screens and crazy artifacts on your screen.

I'm one of it's recent victims, and wanted to share this as I have recommended the M1330 on many occasions and I know there are several owners here. The issue starts to show it's ugly head within 3-6 months, and there are multiple waves.

Wave 1: An nvlddmkm error: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has successfully recovered". This is not so serious because your display will flash for a second and continue to work normally. Chances are your XPS will be dead in a week or two from the time you see this error.

Wave 2: System freeze time. You'd be working and then bam, everything is stuck. No reboots though. You'd have to turn it off manually. When you reboot, you'll see colored vertical lines slowly appearing on your screen. If audio was not muted before the crash, you'll even hear Vista booting but you can't see schit. During this time, I was able to hook the XPS up via HDMI to my TV and start backing up data.

Wave 3: No friggin' display or boot. While backing up my data, I ran into some trouble again and Vista wouldn't boot normally. The lines had gone away and all I'd get was a blank/black screen. HDMI was still working but I could only boot into Safe Mode, and there were major artifacts/missing textures on screen. I was able to complete data backup this time however.

At first, I thought the display was acting up but this issue is happening to people with CCFL and WLED screens, and besides, running LCD BIST will tell you whether your screen is farked or not. Dell has been replacing the board + gpu and this has solved most of the issues reported by others.

If you experience any of these issues, don't wait, call Dell immediately and they will probably replace your board + GPU. Until Dell acknowledges this problem and confirms they will fix it in future XPS notebooks, I wouldn't recommend an XPS M1330 with nVIDIA graphics.

I should add that hundreds of people worldwide are facing this problem, check out notebookreview dot com. Good news is that a board/gpu replacement has solved 99% of the reported issues, but then again, this problem seems to crop up only after a few months. Everyone should request for an extended 3 year full cover warranty since it is a Dell issue :p

My bro has the same notebook and he just had a blank screen - it's been working fine for a month now, after replacement.

Hmmm.. Good info..

Thanx for the heads-up.. :)

That should alert a lot of ppl who were/are going to invest in the M1330; :)

Guys,

Is this problem affecting only M1330 systems, or it exists in M1530 too?

M1530 has a 8600GT card though.

I've ordered a M1530, and now i'm thinking whether i've made a mistake? :?

RiO said:
You're in the clear, I haven't read about M1530's crapping out (yet).

I just read this, after PMing Karan for his 1330M. Damn...Anyways you said a board + GPU replace resolves it right? And its done 100% free of cost and cartage?

Yup, replacement has helped in most cases (and it's free) but don't hold me to it - replacements I'm aware of have hardly been 2-3 months and the original issue crops up only after a few months.

RiO said:
Yup, replacement has helped in most cases (and it's free) but don't hold me to it - replacements I'm aware of have hardly been 2-3 months and the original issue crops up only after a few months.

I'm holding on to you with both paws...Try to pull free and ya'll tear something off :p

Hmm, thanks for bringing it up RiO.

I am in the clear I guess as I have 3 year complete cover. Also, data backup isn't a big issue because the XPS support people (from Singapore) are cool with me taking out the HDD myself (they even said- it saves us cost) and sending the lappy for repair and upon receiving the new one, just put the HDD in.

Since its the exact same config, your data and OS (probably) are safe.

I will definitely try to read up on notebookreview about this.

But damn, my lappy boots up in flat 14 seconds (from pressing the power button, to INSIDE windows and usable.) Thats fast :p (owing to the Toshiba 320giger and 2.5Ghz C2D Penryn)

@ Rio:

Buddy you are very correct as far as XPS M1330 is concerned. I checked it up with some insiders and they say the M1330 has the highest complaints regarding the graphics system.

@KiD0, I'm not referring to HDD crashes or replacing an HDD or how fast a notebook can get. Speed is irrelevant once a notebook becomes unusable. This is about video/display issues with XPS notebooks equipped with 8400M graphics, which tends to crop up in 3-6 months.

RiO said:
@KiD0, I'm not referring to HDD crashes or replacing an HDD or how fast a notebook can get. Speed is irrelevant once a notebook becomes unusable. This is about video/display issues with XPS notebooks equipped with 8400M graphics, which tends to crop up in 3-6 months.

Okies... was just saying that if it does indeed go kaput, once can afford not to loose data by retaining the HDD when the board+GPU is replaced by Dell.

On that note though, a friend of mine got the 1330 when it first came out in Dell INDIA and he got the 8400M GS and the WLED screen combo, and it has been stable and fine the last 8 months or so.

Karan

RiO said:
Lucky him, he's not part of the 90% M1330 population who's notebooks have crapped out :)

90% ? Where are you getting that figure from (being a XPS M1330 owner.)

Since mine is 7 days old, I could just return it...

Ballpark figure of M1330's failure rate in one country between launch and end of 2007. I think you should return it but that's just me pissed at Dell for not acknowledging this inherent problem.

As soon as mine's fixed it's going on the bay and I will get that Macbook Pro I was originally planning on buying.

RiO said:
Ballpark figure of M1330's failure rate in one country between launch and end of 2007. I think you should return it but that's just me pissed at Dell for not acknowledging this inherent problem.

As soon as mine's fixed it's going on the bay and I will get that Macbook Pro I was originally planning on buying.

Can't deny the quality or image that apple has, but is a mac book pro the best solution for any other platform than MAC OS? Windows works I've seen it in action, but the intuitivity of shortcut keys etc...it just wasn't laid out for windows...

I was considering a Macbook because most of my work is related to music creation and web/graphics design. Bought the XPS because I got a sweet deal.

Back