HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

I am getting Samsung C550 for 48700, it seems prices shooted post Diwali. Is it a good buy, or should I wait a couple of months for 2011 lineup... could I end up with LED/3D in same price range?
In addition can someone ellaborate if DNLA is useful. Sales guy was pushing LG Ld460 stating its lower response time of 4 ms and bigger screen and S-IPS. M I making the right choice with C550? I am not considering C530 as there is no point saving 2k for a lower model.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys I have done some reading on C550 and it seems that its a dissapointing model based on international reviews. DLNA is aspirational at most, and viewing angles are terrible.
Does that mean LG LD460 42inches at 45.5k make more sense than 40C550 at 48.7k? Also how does Sony make for a PC monitor? I heard its got problem displaying text... if not I am open to buying a sony from gray if you guys recommend...

Re: HDTV buying advice thread

I am using LG 42LD460 from past one months , i am satisfied with it and it also has 300w sound. only issue is it has only 2 HDMI ports, and only optical out(NO ANALOG). because of this optical out i cant connect it to my current PHILIPS 5.1 HTS it has no optical in.

Ok guys.... change of plans and change of heart. I was in two minds with 2011 models around the corner, price increae of Samsung LCD models post Diwali, and my FUP based plans limiting my 1080 experience as it is 720p files are too taxing. In addition I already have WDTV and HTPC which I plan to connect via DVI to HDMI. Airtel DTH quality already sucks and looked really horrible on 1080p 42 inches LCD sets..

Did a quick math, 49k for LCD which anyway looked expensive, I decided I could just buy a temp 32" and than move on to 42 inchers in later half of the year... Minimum requirement was 2 HDMI ports (preferable 3) for Airtel HD, HTPC and PS3.... Toshiba was ruled out as AV700E looks didnt go down well with decision maker...Went to Panasonic showroom and found that the model with 3 HDMI ports 32" X22 (I am not sure if the number is correct) was being qouted at 26k. Just as an afterthought asked him for 42X20D... He stated 34k... struck a deal at 33.5 plus shipping (needed to cartage as its 40km) so I ended up with a 720p Plasma with 3 HDMI ports.... Of course I still plan on buying an LCD at a later date.... perhaps when I switch to Sun of Tata Sky HD as Airtel sucks.... but this is what it is.

Got the Plasma delivered... ensured that usage hours just reflected 10 minutes so all was good and no spots or logos on the Plasma. Now begins the painful burn in period...Anyways the Plasma looks average in showroom (looks wise) but in the house in isolation it looks awesome. Just hope that its better than the Jazz LG plasma for 35k.... Anyways heard that Panas make the best Plasma's and the lowest price ppl have managed is 32.5k from an institutional dealer. So all in all not a bad deal with 3 years of warranty. Hope the room just doesnt get too hot and that SD content looks better on Plasma than an LCD. Went to buy X came home with Y. Hope its a happy ending :) Bye.

Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

techcheat said:
I am getting Samsung C550 for 48700, it seems prices shooted post Diwali. Is it a good buy, or should I wait a couple of months for 2011 lineup... could I end up with LED/3D in same price range?
In addition can someone ellaborate if DNLA is useful. Sales guy was pushing LG Ld460 stating its lower response time of 4 ms and bigger screen and S-IPS. M I making the right choice with C550? I am not considering C530 as there is no point saving 2k for a lower model.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys I have done some reading on C550 and it seems that its a dissapointing model based on international reviews. DLNA is aspirational at most, and viewing angles are terrible.
Does that mean LG LD460 42inches at 45.5k make more sense than 40C550 at 48.7k? Also how does Sony make for a PC monitor? I heard its got problem displaying text... if not I am open to buying a sony from gray if you guys recommend...
Well don't fall for the 4ms response time which are obtained by overdrive,you want be able to tell the difference.
C550 is a excellent choice.

About the sony lcds with BE3 ,it doesn't have a text mode in PC HDMI ,it however has a text mode in VGA. It applies video timings so text wont be as sharp as its supposed to be in HDMI.

2011 models have already been announced you may have to wait a month or two for the Sony lcds and 3 to 4 months for the samsung models.These two companies have hardly any regular CCFL-lit lcds most of the range in 2011 will be LED-lit lcds.

Edit: congrats on the plasma.

guys i need help.........i have a 40 inch lcd (with usb support) and i need to know that if i can connect my dvd player which has a built in amplifier with 5.1 speakers and aux out in such a way that i have 5.1 support when i play movies through my usb stick ? (i know it sounds confusing :p)

^The TV can pass through few digital signals. In my case, it does Dolby D without issues when connected using a toslink cable to the dvd player.

Check your manual/back of the TV. If it has RCA out, connect it to the aux. input of the player and it will support stereo 5 channel.

^What is the model of your 5.1 system? If the receiver has a toslink in, then yes. Costs around 250-300 INR.

my dvd player is a 2006 model (one of those first generation divx players :p) and only has an aux input.

^Then your best bet is a pair of RCA cables to connect the aux. in from the back of the TV. It will be a pseduo 5.1 output though.

Finally bought myself a brand new TV. After a lot of brainstorming between LCD's and Plasmas finally decided to go in for a LCD. The two choices were Samsung LA40C530 and LG 42ld460. Decided on samsung and went to the showroom only to find out stocks are out. The LA40C550 was also unavailable. Finally decided to get myself a Series 6 Samsung LA40C650.

As the dealer is a close cousin he gave me a decent price. Got it for 57K flat.

Actually No, i didn't really bother him with the panel and everything. Heck i still haven't checked which one is it... Its just a Big upgrade from a 26"...

Can someone help me with my problem please. I have shortlisted Samsung LA32C650.

Please reply on my post.

how is samsung LA32C650?? are there any issues, key features missing? is it a value buy for 43K??

sapy said:
I am looking for a 32 inch LCD / LCD-LED TV, not keen on having it internet ready, will not use console, I may use it for viewing HD movies mostly used as a TV

1. Budget.
35 to 40 K
2. Viewing distance.
5-11 feet
3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
HD DTH/stand-alone media players

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
LCD or LED-LCD

5. Preference for brands.
pls suggest all good buys, how is samsung LA32C650

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.
Windows opposite to the tv but can be covered
8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.
PIP(picture in picture - viewing preview of another channel) and auto volume adjust between channels. Not required but prefer if provided.
The C650 has a glossy panel termed as Ultra Clear Panel by Samsung. Although this could possibly be a marketing gimmick, there is not a great deal of difference between this and the usual C530/C550 series in terms of the PQ. The contrast is slightly higher.

I'd advise you to grab a Sony 32EX600 since you have the budget. The equivalent Samsung model could be the 7 series LED. UA32C5000QM.

switch you sure its C650 at 57k then its a steal.

to look for panel is not techie thing just look at the sticker on the left size bezel of TV there will be 3 nos. the bottom one named Version is the panel type. put it here and we can decipher it for you.

iirc C650 have all been SPVA panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back