Storage Solutions HDD mbr is corrupt. How to recover?

zhopudey

Skilled
Stupid partition magic has foosked up my hdd :( Can't access my data partition. Now, acronis disk director can see the partiotn, and even lets me browse the files on it. But it cannot assign a drive letter, cannot clean it or split it. I tried a program called Stellar Pheonix data recovery, but that was of no help. I also tried "bootsect/nt60 all /mbr" through the win 8 setup disk, but that didn't do anything.
I'm now downloading ubuntu to see if i can access my files through that. Anything else I should try? I don't mind losing all data and reformatting the hdd, but I'm unable to do even that atm.

Attachments

• hdd.jpg
    hdd.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 108
I have done this with WinXP but not sure about Win8...
Using your win setup disk, enter recovery console(R), and type:
Code:
FIXMBR

This always worked with win-xp for me.... :p

No fixmbr command in win 8 disk. It has a boots ectopic command which I tried but didn't help. Will try super grub disk as well.
I copied important data thru Ubuntu live disk. But it has no option for formatting or deleting partitions.

bootrec / fixmbr
bootrec / ?
Second command to see help options . First put win 7 bootable usb or dvd in pc . then boot into command prompt . Do not select install os . Select repair os when it asks .

I re partitioned the hdd thru gparted, and installed win8. But I still have a problem. If I try to boot into the win8 usb in uefi mode, I get a bcd error. How do I get rid of this?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363949068216.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363949068216.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 92
use xp or win7 boot os disc and after that choose custom install and go to advance drive options and from there you can do whatever u want

Back