Graphic Cards HD movies without dedicated graphic card

warrior007

Disciple
did we need to have dedicated graphic card for playing 720p hd movies in hd monitor ?

i have ASUS P5QPL-AM Motherboard , i want to use this PC for just watching HD movies and for Downloading HD movies

will this mother board supports 720p hd movies in 23 inch fullHD monitor with out graphic card ? ( i have now 4:3 crt monitor want to upgrade it with 23 inch full hd monitor )

if not can any one suggest cheap graphic card for watching HD content

NOpe... 720p movies run fine in most pc even with older single core processors. Choice of monitor has nothing to do with 720p HD decoding except for connectivity options only...

@hailstone ,

thanks for reply

so no need to buy graphic card ?

also to get widescreen resolution 16:9 - it just depends on monitor or depends on mother board too ?

HD playback is definitely dependant on graphics processor. Otherwise, one can/will face a lot of hick ups. But nowadays, onboard gfx is decent enuff to run even 1080p movies. Get a second hand 8400GS and you are good to go if you want any cheap gfx card.

@simfogotten

how much second hand 8400GS will cost ? any one selling here in techenclave ?

also can any one give link to techenclave market thread

no you dont need a card but you might not be able to multi task while the movie is on

having a card will get rid of that problem

if watching movies is all that you are planning to do then i suggest you go for a cheap card like gt220 or even 8400gs

Well, I used to face little bit of problems while playing HD Movies, like forwarding or backwarding the slider use to make the video diff. effects, and much of the times 1080p ones didn't used to run smoothly.

I think getting a Graphics Card is necessary for HD Movies as HD itself is decoded by graphics processor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, as I'm not a gamer, I got 9500GT, a simple card which fulfills my HD needs and little bit of gaming needs too on low / medium settings.

simforgotten said:
HD playback is definitely dependant on graphics processor.

only if the software you are using for playback has hardware acceleration, and if the hardware is capable of decoding on the fly(drivers)..

afaik

You dont need a graphics card to play a high definition movie. VLC added hardware accelerated decoding only since 1.1.0 onwards.

The avc decoding happens on cpu only. so you need a powerful cpu to play smooth videos.

^

I had a core 2 duo E6400 and still faced issues. Dunno why.

@OP

8400GS second hand you will be able to get from 1.2k to 1.5k, dont go more than 1.5k.

though its not a de-facto of having an additonal gpu, yet it is better to have one.
Without a good gpu you might face hiccups while playing hd video, and you can't limit yourself to 720p as 1080p are getting pace and you might be interested in playing 1080p rather then 720p in your new 23" monitor.

So i would suggest you to get a 8400 or an ati similer. Check the market section, i think i saw someone selling a low end card
:)

My Suggestion for Intel G41 chipset based boards (Blu-Ray or any video 1080p, 720p)

Intel® G41 Express Chipset supports Blu-Disk Playback if following conditions are fulfilled:

• Minimum Intel ® G41 Chisets or above

• Only Windows Vista or Windows 7 for Hardware acceleration of Blu-Ray contents.

• Latest version Video playback Software such as PowerDVD8, Corel DVD9, etc.

• Latest version of Graphics Driver, DirectX, Bios.

• Enable PAVP (Protected Audio Video Path). PAVP ensures that computers supporting hardware-based decode acceleration are properly utilized in order to deliver smooth playback. In addition, PAVP reduces processor utilization by off-loading the video decode onto the chipset to free up the processor to perform other tasks. If your chipset supports PAVP, your computer or motherboard manufacturer has not exposed the PAVP setting in the System BIOS, but has typically enabled PAVP-Lite mode by default. G4 series chips are the first Intel chipsets to support PAVP.

• Download other players such as Media Player Classic, K-Lite codec pack, CoreAVC Professional Codec.

• AVC video stream consumes CPU power, now some latest ATI Graphic cards use Hardware acceleration for AVC also, Nvidia supports hardware acceleration for AVC.

• If you are going for Dedicated graphic card go for latest version of Multimedia (cheapest and low power) graphic card ATI 6 series or so.

• Your chipset supports Full HD playback if you Install Windows7

I think the problem OP is concerned about is his apprehension that, "Can he use a Full HD monitor for 720p movies or not with his current mobo", which is running on onboard...

Clearly decoding is not related to monitor in anyway, he just have to make sure that he has proper connectors to connect the monitor to the mobo... Also hardware acceleration works with gpu/onboard if the chip supports it, otherwise there is only software based acceleration using cpu where cpu is stressed too much & this cannot be called hardware acceleration..

A lot depend upon the bitrate as well, to know if the 720p rip will be playable or not... But in most cases bitrates are within cpu capacity to decode fluidly even without a dedicated gpu...

@OP.. which cpu are you using....

thanks for replies friends

@hailstone my CPU config is

Processor : Intel® Pentium® Processor E2180 (1M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) Intel® Pentium® Processor E2180 (1M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)with SPEC Code(s)SLA8Y

Mother Board : Asus P5QPL-AM

4gb ram , 1tb hard disk

now using Xp , but after reading your valuable suggestions now i will install windows 7 for smooth hd movies playback

actually now planning to buy full hd monitor BenQ E2200HD ( finalized e2200hd over g2200hd for hdmi connectivity )

also one more question - i have 512mb ATI graphic card in my Laptop sony vpceb14en , i use this laptop for just browsing internet, watching movies and youtube - no gaming

can i remove that graphic card and use in my PC ?

Back