Storage Solutions Hard Drive Problem

Adept
Its been 4-5 times I am submitting my hard drive for replacement. Also when I connect any external device to my front USB in the cabinet then it gives problem. Whereas when I connect to the USB port at the back of the cabinet, it works well. So I think there is something wrong with my Mobo. Plz help me out where the problem lies exactly...
Thnx in advance...

dude, tell me what cabinet brand u use ?. It also depends upon the cabinet. FYI in some cabinets, if u use a USB stick u wont have any issues, but on the other hand an external hdd wud require more power and if the cable which goes from ur caby to the mobo is not a good cable (qualitywise) u cant access the hdd, though u may get light on the hdd. But i am not sure what other problems u have with ur mobo cabby

my frnd is having a p5pevm 865 chipset asus mobo and some caby (dont know the brand). the front panel usb ports dont work for a external usb hdd. my cousin has the same mobo with xtech caby and they work fine for external usb hdds too..

If m not wrong this mite be a caby problem, except if the issue is only when using external hdds which require more power than usb sticks ...

hope this helps....

188007 said:
Its been 4-5 times I am submitting my hard drive for replacement. Also when I connect any external device to my front USB in the cabinet then it gives problem. Whereas when I connect to the USB port at the back of the cabinet, it works well. So I think there is something wrong with my Mobo. Plz help me out where the problem lies exactly...
Thnx in advance...

Going from the config mentioned in your signature, I am assuming its a power supply issue. What power supply (PSU) are you using?

STOP, its NOT a Mobo OR PSU issue.

If you search around, you will find a couple of threads with the same issue.

The issue is because the USB headers carrying current from the mobo to the front cabinet connectors are not able to supply sufficient power (basically lower quality wires) to most devices (especially ones powered directly from USB) that require high power. So pen drives/dongles, connecting cameras/mobiles etc will work fine, but other stuff like external hard drives wont be able to draw sufficient current.

The solution is to use the back USB ports for such high power devices. Alternately, you can try using a separate powered USB hub connected to the front USB connectors. Since the hub is powered, it should be able to supply the devce with sufficient power.

Of course, just connecting to the back connectors is much simpler ;)

XTerminator said:
Going from the config mentioned in your signature, I am assuming its a power supply issue. What power supply (PSU) are you using?

Local 400 Watts PSU which came with the Cabinet...:bleh:

techie_007 said:
STOP, its NOT a Mobo OR PSU issue.
If you search around, you will find a couple of threads with the same issue.

The issue is because the USB headers carrying current from the mobo to the front cabinet connectors are not able to supply sufficient power (basically lower quality wires) to most devices (especially ones powered directly from USB) that require high power. So pen drives/dongles, connecting cameras/mobiles etc will work fine, but other stuff like external hard drives wont be able to draw sufficient current.

The solution is to use the back USB ports for such high power devices. Alternately, you can try using a separate powered USB hub connected to the front USB connectors. Since the hub is powered, it should be able to supply the devce with sufficient power.

Of course, just connecting to the back connectors is much simpler ;)

okay thankyou..:) ...i agree with u..tht works... but thr is 1 more problm tht i am facing. my internal hard-drive(SATA) is not working but IDE hard-drive is working fine.. this is happening for the 4th time. What might be the cause? plz help..

188007 said:
okay thankyou..:) ...i agree with u..tht works... but thr is 1 more problm tht i am facing. my internal hard-drive(SATA) is not working but IDE hard-drive is working fine.. this is happening for the 4th time. What might be the cause? plz help..

You must change your SMPS on priority for trouble free system.This will help supplying sufficient clean power to components including your front USB headers by neglecting resistance in low quality wires.

Make choice of quality branded SMPS according to your budget.Go for brands Corsair/Antec/VIP/Coolermaster real power etc

virus32win said:
You must change your SMPS on priority for trouble free system.This will help supplying sufficient clean power to components including your front USB headers by neglecting resistance in low quality wires.
Make choice of quality branded SMPS according to your budget.Go for brands Corsair/Antec/VIP/Coolermaster real power etc

According to you, which one should I go for the least?

i guess Vip is the cheapest from the options......get a 450 or 500 watts one also see powersafe if u on limited budget ard 2-3k

If your external HDD is not powered externally, then this is normal. You need short USB wire. So u hv to connect to the m/b USB inputs. If your ext HDD has its own power supply, then ideally u can connect anywhere.

Back