PC Peripherals Hand Carry electronics from the US ?

+1 for you Techie :)

paying some amount is nothing but the next business day service by dell which is supposed to be great!.... right ? ... also its Dell 1525 with 4 gigs of ram and vista ultimate with the metallic red finish etc etc.. its bound to go over the measly $620 limit :| ... hopefully no duty !!!

backtoexistence said:
+1 for you Techie :)

paying some amount is nothing but the next business day service by dell which is supposed to be great!.... right ? ... also its Dell 1525 with 4 gigs of ram and vista ultimate with the metallic red finish etc etc.. its bound to go over the measly $620 limit :| ... hopefully no duty !!!

1. definitely NO DUTY :) (only 1 laptop tho. i think 1 more is allowed in baggage too. but with 1 ur 100% safe :D

2. Next day business service is something else, 'complete cover' is best, covers accidents/drops too :eek:hyeah:

cosx said:
Any one hand carried MB / Graphic Cards or Rams from the US .. ?? Did customs or the officals cause any problem at US or on the Indian shores ?? Let me know .. pls ..

Its actually depends on your luck. You are allowed Rs 25K worth of stuff duty free.
The first time I came back from the US, I had almost 1 lakh worth of electronics (2 hard disks, 2 graphics cards, 3 mobiles, 1 external DVD writer, 2 cameras, 1 PDA, 1 laptop and what not). The customs guy caught me and I got away by paying him $40 - its expected :eek:hyeah: (this was about 2.5 years back)

The second and third times from abroad, no customs officer even looked at me, even with a Sony PRS500 and other stuff in the bag.

backtoexistence said:
:rofl: :rofl: $40 ! for a lakh worth of goods, you made a real fool out of the customs there :hap2:

:eek:hyeah:
It went into his own pocket - and that too he had a constable take me aside and pay him, not the customs guy :)

Neat , I too managed such stuff once .. but i am not sure about MB ! will the customs in the US question ? electronics on board a plane. that is the concern .

any guys .. share some info on that

Managing guys in India is ok ..

cosx said:
Neat , I too managed such stuff once .. but i am not sure about MB ! will the customs in the US question ? electronics on board a plane. that is the concern .

any guys .. share some info on that

Managing guys in India is ok ..

so? ppl carry camcorders etc all the time. Max they ll inspect it, but electronics are electronics, so long as there arent too many explosives/batteries attached :rofl:

Of course in the check-in baggage. In carry-on baggage they may not allow it but hey, why would you want to lug a mobo on the flight :p

I just got back from the US less than 24hrs ago (hence the jet lag). I bought a logitech g15, a logitech mx620 cordless mouse, and 2 sets of 2x1gb Geil EvoOne RAM. All in original packaging, with the mouse and RAM being taken in my hand baggage. Got thru without so much as a second look. The only reason I couldn't get my new gfx card was that I had no cash left, nor did I have any space :(.

Bought a mobo + samsung 206bw monitor from Malaysia in september 2007 - alongwith TONS of other shopping. Once again, no questions asked. Technically I have kept my electronic purchases under/around 25k, but they still never botheres to check.

Maybe I should carry a few k's of coke next time around.........hmmmm??

Jokes apart tho - the customs guys will NOT bother you a majority of the time. They are extremeley smart and know who to look for. Their primary aim is people who are looking to resell or are not carrying stuff for personal use. Of course, if you look/walk in scared or nervous, they'll pick up on this from a mile away and then all bets are off. Why would they turn down a chance to make a few extra bucks if they see a potential 'bakra' coming their way, eh?

As far as carrying a laptop goes, just make sure that whoever is carrying it for you is familiar with the inner workings of a laptop, and with that particular machine if possible. About three years ago somebody in front of me got stopped because when he claimed that his laptop was for personal use and that he had in fact taken it from India before his trip, the customs guy took his laptop, started it up, and asked him to name which programs he had in there, as well name one file/document that he had personally saved. And since he wasn't prepared, they put the squeeze on him.

Other than that I personally have never experienced any sort of problem with these guys. There is always the chance that you can get one guy on and off day who's having a bad mood and is just out to get you, but there's nothing you can do about that anyway. Given that 9 outta ten times you're likely to get thru, it's a chance I'm willing to take.

Now to sleep for the next two days!!

*SNORE*

The baggage rules say that u are allowed to carry one laptop in addition to the Rs. 25k limit.

So pl make sure you carry the bills along and even if you have stuff worth more than 25k...u can remove the packaging for one or two small items(if they are available locally in india) and say that you carried them outside the country and now bringing it back.

Have recently carried a creative zen, kinda heavy speaker stands & a motherboard from the US.

They didn't stop me even after seeing the board on their x-ray. (it was <25k anyways)

cosx said:
u mean the US security officals did not bother about it ??

Neither the US folks at SFO nor the ones here in B'lore. (in b'lore just after the immigration, there's a x-ray for hand carried items before you reach the belt to pick ur checked-in luggage.

Ok , I was worried about the folks at US Airport ! Bangalore i have passed a few times i know these guys they are all half asleep every time i have come from abroad. I once walked with my backpack on and no on bothered !

I think it depends on the person who is bringing things along with him.

My friend brought my mobo and psu from UK. hes a doctor and had no clue about what he was carrying. Had a hell of a time with the customs guys in Bangalore. He had to pay 3k for that.

My other friends have brought 2 notebooks (a single person), billing machines and what not without paying a paisa.

I myself have brought mobo, hdd, display card and other things from US without any problem.

Guys , I did my purchasing in the US and Hot Dam , It was cheap ,
Look at my rig today its only waiting to be overclocked !

Bought the
Ram - 4 GB Corsair - DDR2 1066 Overclocked with Coolers
Intel Wolfdale - E 8400
Graphic Card - 9600 GT
Cooler - Zalman CNPS9500
ASUS mother Board - P5K-E

Bought it online at Zipzoomfly.com

Customs duty = 00.00 Rs !!!! yeah Not a penny !

cosx said:
Guys , I did my purchasing in the US and Hot Dam , It was cheap ,
Look at my rig today its only waiting to be overclocked !

Bought the
Ram - 4 GB Corsair - DDR2 1066 Overclocked with Coolers
Intel Wolfdale - E 8400
Graphic Card - 9600 GT
Cooler - Zalman CNPS9500
ASUS mother Board - P5K-E

Bought it online at Zipzoomfly.com

Customs duty = 00.00 Rs !!!! yeah Not a penny !

Finally :D

I had forgotten this thread :p

Njoi mate :eek:hyeah:

Back