Storage Solutions Guys suggest me some good backup solution to backup my data.

priyasukumaram

Disciple
Guys suggest me some good backup solution to backup my data.
With so many options around i m not sure which one to go for. Primary need is to backup Laptop and Office work ... Few movies and songs ... 1TB is preferred

This is my 1st post in the forum .Hope i get good replies :)

Guys suggest me some good backup solution to backup my data.
With so many options around i m not sure which one to go for. Primary need is to backup Laptop and Office work ... Few movies and songs ... 1TB is preferred

This is my 1st post in the forum .Hope i get good replies :)

Welcome to TE,

Lets separate it into essential back up Laptop and Office work - how much is needed for this.
Movies and Songs - Even if lost life goes on. I am guessing this is what requires 1 TB

^^^
Welcome to TE,

Lets separate it into essential back up Laptop and Office work - how much is needed for this.
Movies and Songs - Even if lost life goes on. I am guessing this is what requires 1 TB
Yes but which brand to go for ... I m from mumbai so local service center is preferred.

^^^

Yes but which brand to go for ... I m from mumbai so local service center is preferred.
I have a simple Logic, the more the warranty, the more attention and tests have been done in testing and the less likely it is to fail. For your Songs and movies a high warranty HDD
You have not mentioned space requirement for your Critical Data, but since SSDs are less likely to fail than a HDD, maybe an external SSD would be a good idea

Ok I will go for external Hard disks > 1 TB ...There are lot of companies but i m confused which one to choose.
Seagate or WD
I am partial to WD

And nothing to service, there is only RMA - I would also suggest grind the HDD to the max in the first couple of weeks, any failure before 30 days, Direct replacement by vendor and majority of all failures in electroni components happen in the first month of use

I would say, upload your office stuff and important documents to cloud storage (dropbox, skydrive, box.net etc). They are pretty safe over there. I use Google Drive, Dropbox and Box.net. Keep all the important stuff synced. For other stuff we always have External hard drives. :)

I have a very good experience with WD. I am satisfied with their after sale service (got one HDD replaced within 4-5 days).

I suggest against WD Passport USB 3.0 series, albeit owning it (1 TB) myself. Recently a friend who also has this portable hard drive fell victim to the 'bad PCB USB device' error on the drive and is not being able to access any of the data on it. This happened out of the blue, the HDD was not dropped or anything. The HDD simply does not get recognized by any PC, tried so far with Win XP and 7, yet to try on Linux.

Some search on the Internet shows that there is fair number of owners facing this issue on their WO Passport drives and there isn't a way to recover data from the drive which has this issue. From what I read, it seems the absence of a solution is more to do with the encryption mechanism followed in this drive, and to the fact that the PCB is hard soldered to the drive itself (no SATA port inside). However, I'm still trying to figure out if there any darn way to recover the data.

Bottom line, esp. for back-up usage, I would strongly suggest not to consider WD Passport drives, for the well. I'm soon making a back-up copy of all the essential data I have on my WD Passport.

I would say, upload your office stuff and important documents to cloud storage (dropbox, skydrive, box.net etc). They are pretty safe over there. I use Google Drive, Dropbox and Box.net. Keep all the important stuff synced. For other stuff we always have External hard drives. :)

I have a very good experience with WD. I am satisfied with their after sale service (got one HDD replaced within 4-5 days).
Yes.. I'll add to this solution .

I have a 30 GB Google Drive account which costs me Rs.~120/month. I have all my pics & documents (from past 8 years) uploaded there and a local copy synced to Laptop. All my mobile phone pics get auto-uploaded to my Google+ account everyday. Additionally I have some data scattered over 3 Dropbox accounts.

For my Movies, TV Shows etc I have a 1 TB Elements 3.0 which is I use as a mirror copy of all my downloads.

Lastly 2 x Sandisk 16GB pendrives for Music on the go :D

@dexBG Any reason for not opting for Skydrive storage, which is cheaper than Google's at 50GB for approx. 110 per month?

Last edited by a moderator:
@dexBG Any reason for not opting for Skydrive storage, which is cheaper than Google's at 50GB for approx. 110 per month?

I rely on Google services more .. Search, Mail, Photos etc. All of these will have better integration with Android over any provider.

Google+ Auto Upload is a big advantage.
All my Picasa albums are integrated into the Stock Gallery app.

Most of music library is uploaded on Google Music as well.

While the current Google Drive app for Android is sucky.. I have high hopes Google will fix it.

Skydrive is an good option too. I too prefer Google Drive because ease of use, features and better integration with my phone. SkyDrive UI is confusing (at least for me)

How is seagate backup + ???
one of the best looking drives out there with similar 3 years guaranty
Advantages
  • can purchase seperate firewire or thunderbolt connector if need arise
  • works on Windows and mac (mac drivers of NTFS included)
  • Can be used as bare USM/SATA drive as well.
  • compatible with Go Flex adapter/pogoplug if u own one ...
  • speeds are very good on USB 3.0 80-100 MB/s
just purchased one on 8th anniversary ebay deals for 4.7 K

I don't trust google/others with my stuff. especially after I started seeing targeted ads when I read my emails. I usually zip them and encrypt the zip with a password if I have to store it on cloud. but again, if your account is compromised then your data too.

I don't trust google/others with my stuff. especially after I started seeing targeted ads when I read my emails. I usually zip them and encrypt the zip with a password if I have to store it on cloud. but again, if your account is compromised then your data too.
Little bit knowledge of Internet and Hacking keeps you secure from hackers and account compromisation :) Well, the data is pretty much secured in SkyDrive (azure) and Google Drive (GAE). One has to trust that :)

I don't agree..:), IMO Social engineering is more dangerous than hacking using other means. and that "little bit knowledge" is never enough
http://www.emptyage.com/post/28679875595/yes-i-was-hacked-hard
Twitter is hot spot for hackers.. Hackers always preferred hacking Twitter accounts. I still believe Twitter has a big loophole in their security. So does Facebook. In terms of cloud storage, there is a different story. Data centers are secured with multiple security layers. Data Vulneration is very slight (one in a million I would say). Same goes with SkyDrive and Dropbox. They use encryption algorithm with very secure key (1024 - 2048 bit). They never hold the decryption key. It's you holding the key. Even if someone breaches your account he will not have a key to decrypt the data.

I agree one should not fully trust the free cloud providers but if they are big players like Google, Microsoft. They can be an exception. :)

Back