Graphic Cards GTX 480/470 reviews and discussion

Desecrator said:
I'd just posted something on the show-off thread - http://www.techenclave.com/1449650-post1710.html

I'll quote it -

Well the problem is that nVidia themselves claim the max temp of the GPU as 105 deg which probably means that they regard anything above that to be really unhealthy for the GPU. 97 deg (despite the insane cooling solution) is cutting it too close to that mark and that too remember those temps were logged in US and Europe where the ambient temps are relatively lesser than in a country like ours. Futher I noticed that with most of the high end GPU, when dust settles into the HSF/Fan, the temperatures can drastically rise by 10 to 15 deg. So unless you keep cleaning the HSF on the card every 2~3 weeks, the temps can go insanely high.

Did not wanna be a party pooper, so am replying here.
Desecrator said:
I don't quite think so! Did you post the very same comment elsewhere in some other thread?
On these boards or elsewhere? Either ways, no.
Desecrator said:
If the card is meant to run at high temperatures on loads, then nVidia must have designed the cooling solution that way. This card has a high TDP so it is quite obvious it runs at high temperatures on loads and idles at slightly higher temperatures compared to their previous versions. This is exactly what happens when you cramp more transistors into a limited space on the die!

The heatpipe based cooler mimics the ones found in their previous flagship high-end cards starting 7900GTX. Why would it BSOD otherwise!
Sure, agreed entirely. But like Lord Nemises said, its too close to its threshold. There are also the Indian summers. My prior experiences with dust aided temp rising was as much as 10degrees. Since it is a heatpipe based cooling system as compared to my dual slot generic SKU, it may be a little lower though.

But wouldn't there be damage over time to the adjacent PCI peripherals with THAT much of active heat dissipating? Sure hot air is blown out of the back but the SKU still gets pretty hot and could potentially kill the capacitors of the sound cards or the TV tuners

damn said:
But wouldn't there be damage over time to the adjacent PCI peripherals with THAT much of active heat dissipating? Sure hot air is blown out of the back but the SKU still gets pretty hot and could potentially kill the capacitors of the sound cards or the TV tuners

Exactly. My X-Fi sound card sits pretty close to my graphics card surface which is partly made of plastic on my 4850's and I am worried when ever my GPU temps go near 85+. As mentioned previously, with the GTX480, the surface is metal and an extension of the HSF. The GPU itself may have a max safe temp of 105 deg, but I don't think a lot of computer hardware have IC's/components that can withstand massive temps.

So Fermi is getting more highlighted by its high temp and power consumption than its performance but guys as per gpu temps are consulted from my own experience i never had this much high temp in my gpu weather its Nvidia or Ati. the max i touched was 72-78*C not more than that(without AC room and with continuous benchmarking and 3dvantages ) may be i keep my rig very clean:rofl: ya but i noticed Nvidia runs hotter than Ati but utilities like rivatiner where user can manually set the fan speed also helps in reducing temp.

What i say that user should wait little more (as they waited 6 month) for the release of never drivers for fermi as Nvidia is still showing only till 300 series driver on there site, and as Zloyd said that as usual there will be some OCed edition of Fermi with different cooler, which will make the difference.

Lord Nemesis said:
Exactly. My X-Fi sound card sits pretty close to my graphics card surface which is partly made of plastic on my 4850's and I am worried when ever my GPU temps go near 85+. As mentioned previously, with the GTX480, the surface is metal and an extension of the HSF. The GPU itself may have a max safe temp of 105 deg, but I don't think a lot of computer hardware have IC's/components that can withstand massive temps.

yup ... most of compents are not exposed to such high temperatures during QC

But let's see what are temperatures on GTX480 from EVGA which is water-cooled ... we can't ignore water-cooling if someone can afford GTX480 :eek:hyeah:

Shripad said:
You have incorrect links for many reviews (parts of link missing )

Thanks for spotting..:ashamed:
stalker said:
The perils of copy pasting gibberish
fixed.. :bleh:

Shripad said:
Check this review : Google 翻译

Its translated. But its currently without doubt the best review on net. Fantastic pics, detailed testing, detailed real time FPS graphs. Perfect!
Yes, have you checked This one..:p detailed synthetic tests with RightMark..

Back