Graphic Cards Graphics cards AMD 7950/ gtx 670/ gtx 660Ti ???

I am surely not trying to Do That :(

Arya, I am sorry I lost my cool back there but lets face facts, if you have something against AMD drivers please prove it. Sure we don't get game-by-game break-down in the driver with AMD but this does not mean the support is poor.

Here is the Anandtech common bench --> AnandTech - Bench - GPU12. The GTX680 proves its mettle in games like BattleField 3 and Portal 2 games which run better on nVidia cards per-se. Both cards can pump enough frames to play most current generation games in their full glory, compute performance traditionally a nVidia dominated section is now over-run by AMD HD7*** series cards thanks to nVidia castrating their cards performance via the new drivers released so that people buy the Quadro series cards.

Current multi-GPU performance is dominated by HD7970 in CrossFire.

Alpha17 surely doesn't show in the max payne 3 bench i have posted above.also people have been getting 1300mhz on the asus 670 over at ocn.

Just one game is not the whole field and also the same holds for over-clocking. The HD79** series and HD7870 are very easy to over-clock, for the first 100MHz -->150MHz clock-boost you do not even need to tweak the voltages [proven fact -- AMD Radeon HD 7850 & HD 7870 2 GB Review | techPowerUp / AnandTech - Capsule Review: Sapphire's Radeon HD 7870 Overclock Edition / AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB - Performance Analysis | bit-tech.net / HARDOCP - Overclocking - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 DirectCU II TOP Review], so it is a bit hollow to say that the GTX670 is a better performer and over-clocker out and out on the basis of a single Max Payne3 benchmark-run.

if you have something against AMD drivers please prove it.

okay but with recent Driver Updates 7970 got past 680 in "Some" Games But What i think is 7970 was released way back in 4-5 Months Ago?Got the "GOOD Enough" Driver few weeks back :p I am not against AMD any kind of,just Saying as per Anandtech and Tomshardware Reviews and Updates. Just for 10-20$(newegg) more it beats 670 :p

As From Source --> AnandTech - AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review: Battling For The Performance Crown

My Logic is Little Messed up :| Contradicting Reviews etc lol :|

PS:- ideal Theme is Damn Cool :D(offtopic)

okay but with recent Driver Updates 7970 got past 680 in "Some" Games But What i think is 7970 was released way back in 4-5 Months Ago?Got the "GOOD Enough" Driver few weeks back

It is as if the GTX680 is already past its prime, that further driver updates will not yield in more improvements; then I say damn good that the HD7970 peaked so late. The Forceware drivers are useless and wasting close ~500MB of bandwidth on the same in a month is criminal stick to the release drivers and be happy.

The HD7970 GHz edition is another testimony that AMD could ramp up its clocks so easily and sell two HD7970 cards in parallel, whilst nVidia struggles to get its yield issues in order.

P.S. -- Yeah the Ideal theme is much easier on my eyes.

It is as if the GTX680 is already past its prime, that further driver updates will not yield in more improvements; then I say damn good that the HD7970 peaked so late. The Forceware drivers are useless and wasting close ~500MB of bandwidth on the same in a month is criminal stick to the release drivers and be happy.

The HD7970 GHz edition is another testimony that AMD could ramp up its clocks so easily and sell two HD7970 cards in parallel, whilst nVidia struggles to get its yield issues in order.

P.S. -- Yeah the Ideal theme is much easier on my eyes.

i never thought From this point of View:sign32:

MSAA>FXAA>MLAA, you probably got confused.

Wrong, as an overall solution FXAA looks more promising and is more efficient and less biased that MSAA [which is a nVidia proprietary hack]

Read here -- Coding Horror: Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing (FXAA) / Timothy Lottes: NVIDIA FXAA.

Pretty much all "modern" anti-aliasing is some variant of the MSAA hack, and even that costs a quarter of your framerate. That's prohibitively expensive, unless you have so much performance you don't even care, which will rarely be true for any recent game. While the crawling lines of aliasing do bother me, I don't feel anti-aliasing alone is worth giving up a quarter of my framerate and/or turning down other details to pay for it.

FXAA has two major advantages:

1) FXAA smooths edges in all pixels on the screen, including those inside alpha-blended textures and those resulting from pixel shader effects, which were previously immune to the effects of MSAA without oddball workarounds.

2) It's fast. Very, very fast. Version 3 of the FXAA algorithm takes about 1.3 milliseconds per frame on a $100 video card. Earlier versions were found to be double the speed of 4x MSAA, so you're looking at a modest 12 or 13 percent cost in framerate to enable FXAA -- and in return you get a considerable reduction in aliasing.

The only downside, and it is minor, is that you may see a bit of unwanted edge "reduction" inside textures or in other places. I'm not sure if it's fair to call this a downside, but FXAA can't directly be applied to older games; games have to be specifically coded to call the FXAA pixel shader before they draw the game's user interface, otherwise it will happily smooth the edges of on-screen HUD elements, too.

I would personally fire up FXAA whenever I could.

The 670 is more expensive as well. But there is no doubt it is a better card at stock when compared with a 7950.

Recommendations from tech sites don't apply here to the fullest as our pricing dynamics are so strange. Price drops are rare and gouging at product introduction is frequent.

Is GTX 660 Ti available in Nehru place or Lamington road ?

It should be available by the end of the next week, if shipments have started to places like India [thanks to crazy demand in the West]. If not the case then we will have to wait till the start of September to get our hands on these [and they will be grossly over-priced].

Now I am confused about the nvida gtx 660 ti and it vs. amd 7870 or 7950

the reviews says it is better in games but really poor in computational capacity :/

Now so it's clear that only gamers buy it and not people who want to also use it for conversion and other animation software like after effects and cinema 4d ????

Is it true ?????

Now I am confused about the nvida gtx 660 ti and it vs. amd 7870 or 7950

the reviews says it is better in games but really poor in computational capacity

It is true, I and @Chaos Sire have had this discussion in which he clearly spelled out that nVidia castrates these cards compute performance [deliberately] so that people go in for the more expensive [and poorer in gaming] Quadro series cards for professional usage and work in the Linux environment.

If you want to enjoy productivity and snappy performance go for the HD7950, if the budget plays spoil-sport then it will be best if you go for the HD7870 and start over-clocking it [the card can match the gaming performance of a HD7950] but this cannot compensate for a lower stream processor count and the card will have slightly reduced GPGPU performance vis-á-vis the senior model; though still more capable than the GTX660Ti, even the GTX680.

Few benchmark runs courtesy Anandtech --> AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 -- HD7950 vs. GTX660Ti [pretty even though the HD7950 is quiet an over-clocker in its own right and can reach the HD7970 / GTX680 after extensive prods, whilst the nVidia cards cannot reach such high clocks]
AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 -- HD7870 vs. GTX660Ti [here the nVidia offering takes the gaming lead but in the majority of compute benches the HD78** series card crushes the latter].

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be available by the end of the next week, if shipments have started to places like India [thanks to crazy demand in the West]. If not the case then we will have to wait till the start of September to get our hands on these [and they will be grossly over-priced].

We dont know yet. What would be a good price?

We dont know yet. What would be a good price?

If we do the direct $ conversion of the ~300$ MSRP in the US we reach a magical figure of ~16500/- --> 18000/- INR [directly factoring Rupee $ ratio at 55 / 60INR = $1]. Now we step in customs and all that and we can expect our pockets to lighten to the tune of ~21500/- -->23000/- [priced directly against the HD7870 2GB cards] but following the logic of Indian firms bringing in the goods expect this to be priced close too ~24000/- and above. Right in the jaws of the HD7950 which is a much better card and soon as you factor in long-term issues like V-RAM [3GB vs. 2GB in case of the nVidia card] and 1080p and above performance the former falls out of favour.

If you are a gamer, the GTX670 will be a better buy OR the HD7870 / HD7950 depending on your budget as well as if you are going to work in a Linux-environment OR want to use GPGPU softwares where the AMD cards savage the GTX6** series cards through an through.

Back to the question of sane pricing, I will say not more than ~23500/- and not less than ~20000/- only time will tell the actual retail prices of these cards but till now almost all the Kepler cards in India are over-priced and have not come down in pricing so why assume that the GTX660Ti will herald a grave change?

woah this thread is hot as a burnt card.
I have settled for a HD 7950 Sapphire OC. Told my friend to get it from US, I do know the issues with RMA.But i am ready for the gamble.

If we do the direct $ conversion of the ~300$ MSRP in the US we reach a magical figure of ~16500/- --> 18000/- INR [directly factoring Rupee $ ratio at 55 / 60INR = $1]. Now we step in customs and all that and we can expect our pockets to lighten to the tune of ~21500/- -->23000/- [priced directly against the HD7870 2GB cards] but following the logic of Indian firms bringing in the goods expect this to be priced close too ~24000/- and above. Right in the jaws of the HD7950 which is a much better card and soon as you factor in long-term issues like V-RAM [3GB vs. 2GB in case of the nVidia card] and 1080p and above performance the former falls out of favour.

If you are a gamer, the GTX670 will be a better buy OR the HD7870 / HD7950 depending on your budget as well as if you are going to work in a Linux-environment OR want to use GPGPU softwares where the AMD cards savage the GTX6** series cards through an through.

Back to the question of sane pricing, I will say not more than ~23500/- and not less than ~20000/- only time will tell the actual retail prices of these cards but till now almost all the Kepler cards in India are over-priced and have not come down in pricing so why assume that the GTX660Ti will herald a grave change?

I agree with you on the method that you have used to calculate the price. But to add a bit here, I am sure the customs in US are higher/same as what we have in India. I am sure the GPU's/components dont go to US and then get sipped to India from there. Most of the stuff comes from the HO or RO directly to India. SO could be Taiwan/China.

Anyway, basically what I am trying to say is, we have to remove the customs component as this will be equal in most places. Adding cstoms is therefore not required to get an India of USD Vs. INR prices.

Back