Car & Bike Grand i10 v Xcent - Which one to choose?

Which one to pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been looking to replace my Alto and set my max budget as 7L(If less, it is good). Not a penny more. And i have chose Xcent petrol S version. But then comes Grand i10 Diesel sportz version with the difference of 65k.

OTR Prices :

XCent S - 6.1L
Grand i10 - 6.75L

My daily travel is around 50-70kms(depending on various factors) but 50km is minimum. So i am really concerned whether to go with petrol xcent or diesel Grand i10. I am a lot confused right now and thought getting help from other people might help me.

Note : Please don't suggest Maruthi,Honda,Nissan.

Now that modi sarkar is here and formed, soon expect petrol prices to go up up up. For 50km a day travelling, you will probably do 15000-25000 a year. go with a Diesel car.

Y no honda?

Amaze is nothing compare to Xcent if we talk about overall build quality and interior quality of Xcent...
Amaze has only upper hand when it comes to engine refinement so go with Xcent, seating inside Xcent will give you piece of mind.

And also don't fall for the hyundai is cheap to maintain. its not. And soon it will be plagued with rattles and creaks. And also, other than verna all the gear shift in hyundai cars are shitty. I always felt it was stick in mud.

between these xcent. why not i20?

@All
Thanks for your suggestions. The 50-70kms daily commute will be decreased to 20-30kms after 5 months. So just want to clear some things, if i am going to use my car hardly 500-600kms, a diesel car is an good option.

I have heard that people telling me diesel car maintenance is too high. But what i have in mind is, if i am not going to use my car more than 1000kms a month why the maintenance will be high? If i keep my car idle for a couple of months, will diesel car starts without an issue?[DOUBLEPOST=1401169228][/DOUBLEPOST]
And also don't fall for the hyundai is cheap to maintain. its not. And soon it will be plagued with rattles and creaks. And also, other than verna all the gear shift in hyundai cars are shitty. I always felt it was stick in mud.

between these xcent. why not i20?
Even mid variant with decent features will cost me around 7.5L :( (Talking about diesel) and petrol mid comes around 6.8L OTR, which is again 70k costlier than XCent which is giving me same mileage, better interiors and bigger boot space.

The Xcent which i choose have everything except ABS+Airbag and costs me good 6.1L. So no i20[DOUBLEPOST=1401169392][/DOUBLEPOST]
My amaze diesel gives me constantly 21+ kmpl 80% highway 20% city ac always on .
How about service cost? What will be general service cost? And spare prices and availability?

Last edited:
Petrol Vs Diesel:

The diesel engine in these cars are less performing compared to the petrol ones. The petrol ones are more fun to drive. It wont matter if it's just for city driving. And for 20-30 kms/day, you can definitely go for petrol.

Xcent vs Grand i10:

Depends on whether you want a boot or not. Don't get the xcent thinking it will give a sedan feel. My uncle owns one and it doesn't, especially on highways.

Petrol Vs Diesel:

The diesel engine in these cars are less performing compared to the petrol ones. The petrol ones are more fun to drive. It wont matter if it's just for city driving. And for 20-30 kms/day, you can definitely go for petrol.

Xcent vs Grand i10:

Depends on whether you want a boot or not. Don't get the xcent thinking it will give a sedan feel. My uncle owns one and it doesn't, especially on highways.

It is not about sedan feel. I need more boot space, that's it. Looks are subjective and interiors and good features also matters so chose Hyundai.

Service wise, my honda city i-vtec costs me around 12-14k a year.
Family car Laura diesel costs us 15k. Ofcourse this is not counting costs of spares (laura spares are quiet expensive).
Point being the service cost of diesel cars is not that high these days or maybe petrol cars service costs more.

you are probably looking at wrong criterias here.
Test drive a swift, i10, Honda, polo. All 4 feel very different. Honda and polo have a stiff suspension whilst the Hyundai has a very soft suspension. Polo has a typical German cabin, cramp and everything is around you whilst Honda cars are really spacious. Hyundai's will have all the bells and whistles but in terms of build quality and quality, it lags behind a polo.
For me a polo or punto seat is really uncomfortable whilst i love honda cars cause the cabins really spacious.

Just a few views from me cause a car is a big investment and i am sure most people cannot afford to go wrong on it.

The new xcent is not so promising car i see, not even grand i10... Go for another option like maruti swift always no. 1 choice for Indian roads. Or the fiat punto the most underrated car, superb power, handling and aerodynamically designed... Its only because fiat brand is not that famous in India, this car is lagging behind its competitors...

Problem with Fiat, cars their A.S.S is PITA.

Service wise, my honda city i-vtec costs me around 12-14k a year.
Family car Laura diesel costs us 15k. Ofcourse this is not counting costs of spares (laura spares are quiet expensive).
Point being the service cost of diesel cars is not that high these days or maybe petrol cars service costs more.

you are probably looking at wrong criterias here.
Test drive a swift, i10, Honda, polo. All 4 feel very different. Honda and polo have a stiff suspension whilst the Hyundai has a very soft suspension. Polo has a typical German cabin, cramp and everything is around you whilst Honda cars are really spacious. Hyundai's will have all the bells and whistles but in terms of build quality and quality, it lags behind a polo.
For me a polo or punto seat is really uncomfortable whilst i love honda cars cause the cabins really spacious.

Just a few views from me cause a car is a big investment and i am sure most people cannot afford to go wrong on it.

Honda Amaze petrol is good but interiors are blunt and not feature rich. Also, we already have Xylo & SX4 for long travel, so i am getting this car purely for city driving. I did test drive polo and felt that suspension is not good as many have commented and ride quality in city was OK. Skoda - No idea about their service.

The reason i went for Hyundai because we had Santro and it served well and service was excellent.

Then how about Swift desire??

^^ As mentioned in post #15, we already have SX4 and so prefer something different. The thing with Hyundai is their interior is awesome and fit and finish is excellent, unless Maruthi whose premium sedan SX4 interior looks like made by some school kid and not giving that premium feel. Everyday i am going to drive it in city, mostly, and i need good, light MF Steering, light clutch and with loads of features to keep me occupied. Otherwise, it is going to be just like Alto.

^^ As mentioned in post #15, we already have SX4 and so prefer something different. The thing with Hyundai is their interior is awesome and fit and finish is excellent, unless Maruthi whose premium sedan SX4 interior looks like made by some school kid and not giving that premium feel. Everyday i am going to drive it in city, mostly, and i need good, light MF Steering, light clutch and with loads of features to keep me occupied. Otherwise, it is going to be just like Alto.
Just a suggestion, wait for the new Jazz. Its got gr8 reviews abroad and will be soon hitting our shores. Else i do like the i10 grand myself. But i hope you do realize that that these aint exactly small cars. I mean if u r moving from an alto, you wont get the ease of parking that a small car gives.

Any links for the new Jazz ?
Also I have never owned a car so consider me dumb in automobile department. But why is swift such highly rated, as in word of mouth and general opinion of people ?
What is the reason ?

Back