Google Nexus 7 Now Official . Will Launch In July For $199

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
Google Nexus 7 Now Official . Will Launch In July For $199

Google has finally unveiled its long anticipated Nexus 7 tablet at Google I/O conference . The tablet will be manufactured by Asus and will be available starting July .

nexus7.jpg

The specifications are same as rumors suggested previously , its has a 7 inch IPS display with 1280x800 resolution . Its packs Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core processor with 12 core GeForce GPU.

Thee Google Nexus 7 comes with Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Bluetooth and NFC connectivity and Google Wallet preinstalled. Sadly, there isn’t a 3G model available, but obviously keeping the price as low as possible was key here. That's also the reason there isn't a camera at the back, and only a 1.2MP front-facing snapper.

Measuring 198.5 x 120 x 10.5 mm, the 7-incher weighs in at 340 grams which is respectful for its size

The internal memory is non expandable though , and the tablet will launch in two storage versions , the 8GB version will be priced at $199 , while the 16GB variant will cost $249 .

Promo Video -

[video]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9007/nexus7.jpg[/video]

Source

The device looks brilliant on paper and especially for the price it's selling at. BUT the only thing I feel that the tablet lacks is 3G support. Considering how the device is dependent on the internet to pull up content, etc. I wonder if Google has any provisions of storing content offline on the device itself, if so, the 8GB model which retails at $199 would prove to be meagre to store enough content on the go.

The device looks brilliant on paper and especially for the price it's selling at. BUT the only thing I feel that the tablet lacks is 3G support. Considering how the device is dependent on the internet to pull up content, etc. I wonder if Google has any provisions of storing content offline on the device itself, if so, the 8GB model which retails at $199 would prove to be meagre to store enough content on the go.
The new youtube app lets you store content for offline viewing. The new maps also allows you for offline maps of the areas you want but navigation won't work.

the tablet is as good as a brick if it doesn't have internet.
i am sure they would provide a 3g dongle or something for some additional cash.

And storage? Forget 8 gb, even 16 GB does nothing. Not including an sd slot should be a crime on a multimedia device.

to be honest,this is incredibly overrated.
common masses are more than happy with a 8 gig storage and that is ultimately their target audience given the tablet price.

Would content be available offline? Say if I were to write a document on the tablet, would I be able to do so without internet access or have access to the ones I had created before? Or even music.

Plus, would there be any provision to connect say an iPhone's 3G via bluetooth to the Nexus 7 tablet in order to access web on the go? I'm planning on pre-ordering this baby!

Indeed the Device is giving incredible value for money as it gives
1280x800 IPS Screen
Tegra 3 QuadCore
JellyBean
1GB RAM
for $199 retail price.

No one is giving these specifications in this price.
But for indian scenario if you don't have GPRS+EDGE+3G(HSDPA) acess via SIM slot. It just become redundant.

Why?
Because unlike USA we don't have free Wi-Fi hotspots here in India, Forget free we don't even have enough paid Wi-Fi hotspots. And most of the Indians are heavily dependent on GPRS+EDGE+(3G coverage is still patchy) data service via their mobile SIM service providers.

No Manufacturer understand this and churn out ONLY WI-FI models for Indian market. And whenever they do incorporate SIM slot then they keep the price unreasonable high. (WTF, SAMSUNG I'm pointing at you)

And our story goes on.....

Okay so I placed a preorder for the 16GB version ($249) and a cover ($19.99), the total came to be $309 inclusive of all taxes ($24). Should be delivered by mid-July.

I was confused between the iPad and the Nexus 7, but the price factor swung the decision in favour of the Nexus 7. I will be using my iPhone as a personal WiFi hotspot so I can make use of 3G on the Nexus 7 while on the move.

Plus the USB OTG would allow me to connect 3G dongles with the aid of custom ROMs and also to share data via pen-drives, etc.

Yes, but someone in US placed the order for me.

Here is the cover that they are offering with the device for extra $19.99 -
nexus_7_cover_banner_001.jpg

@sibot then pal, you have to add US to india Shipping also. Roughly @$10 per lbs. gross weight would be around 3lbs. that's around $30 via any branded shipping co. + around 16% custom duty on original product bill say around $40

That will make it a $380 preposition, not cheap by my standards and the value for money composition disappeared somewhere in-between US and India :)

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

*around 16 percent custom duty applies on tablets

Last edited by a moderator:
axeteve - No, I'll be traveling to US by the mid of July. I'll be getting it back with me sans the box, so I'll declare it under the duty-free laptop exemption. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. But you've made a very valid point that should be highlighted for others who plan to order it and get it shipped to India.

Cool, Then it's fine. Still I think the best smart move could have been is that you could have picked the device offshelf. As google is going to retail it via best buy stores in july.

And in mid july Asus is droping all transformers price by $100. So its like $279 for TF300, $379 for prime and $479 for infinity.

Anyways Good luck for your buy.

axeteve - Thanks for pointing that out. I'll be getting the device by mid-July and would be in US till mid-August. So within that time I'll test out other devices too and see how I like them. If I like some other one better, then I'll return the Nexus 7 to Google, get a refund and buy something else. I'll keep the model names you mentioned handy, I'm very new to tablets.

16GB???? Are you kidding? I think thats too much of a pittance on such a device. Thats a deal breaker if ever there was one...

16GB???? Are you kidding? I think thats too much of a pittance on such a device. Thats a deal breaker if ever there was one...

Not a deal breaker if you have an internet connection with cloud access at 50Mbps :p.
I guess this device is aimed at cloud.

useless for us though.

Back