Car & Bike Good car speakers

HI, my speakers in my maruti swift are dead and so i am looking for new ones in the range of Rs5000-7000

I already have a good panasonic reciever so only need speakers .

Speakers should be the one mounted at the back and not in the doors . Also i wont be using a woofer so advise accordingly .

Re: Goood car speakers

Front mounted component speakers would be a better option with regards to audio quality. Any particular reason you are not looking for them ?

@rohan mahatre: please do get a sub :D music always sounds way better with one, trust me, you won't regret it :D

vishalrao said:
@rohan mahatre: please do get a sub :D music always sounds way better with one, trust me, you won't regret it :D
For that i would have to buy an amplifier which i dont want to.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

bottle said:
Front mounted component speakers would be a better option with regards to audio quality. Any particular reason you are not looking for them ?
You mean the front mounted door speakers ?

I think the rear speakers will have a better audio response .

rohan_mhtr said:
You mean the front mounted door speakers ?

I think the rear speakers will have a better audio response .

Rear speakers mounted on the parcel tray will have over emphasized bass - not better audio.

As to why its preferable to have front mounted speakers :

- when you go to a music concert, does the band play in front or behind you?

- when you listen to music on your home audio system, are the speakers in front or behind you?

If u like one wonderful set, I recommend infiniti kappa, using for last 2 years and my old car had gto937, kappa is way better, its awesome.

Front mounted, yes the essential 5.25in a component set wold make wonderful voice, but the huge bass should come from rear.

Crazy_Eddy said:
Rear speakers mounted on the parcel tray will have over emphasized bass - not better audio.

As to why its preferable to have front mounted speakers :

- when you go to a music concert, does the band play in front or behind you?

- when you listen to music on your home audio system, are the speakers in front or behind you?
Dude these are car speakers we are talking about . Have you ever seen speakers mounted on a car dashboard other then tweeters . My swift has no option to mount speakers facing front . Only available options are inside the four doors or behind . The door speakers will have very little space to get amazing sound quality . Do you like to place your speaker in a cupboard . At the rear because of the good boot space enclosure , it is better for a good sound reproduction .

net said:
If u like one wonderful set, I recommend infiniti kappa, using for last 2 years and my old car had gto937, kappa is way better, its awesome.
Availability , price ??

rohan_mhtr said:
Dude these are car speakers we are talking about . Have you ever seen speakers mounted on a car dashboard other then tweeters . My swift has no option to mount speakers facing front . Only available options are inside the four doors or behind . The door speakers will have very little space to get amazing sound quality . Do you like to place your speaker in a cupboard . At the rear because of the good boot space enclosure , it is better for a good sound reproduction

No offense but you seem to have some misconceptions. What you say would probably hold true if all you are looking for is nothing but artificial bass. There should be some relation to the speakers (drivers) used and the size of the enclosure. Using regular speakers in the boot is only going to give loose bass and boom. A proper sub would be better positioned to perform better in this area.

Conversely for your budget you can get some really good component speakers and mount it in the door, properly damped the entire door shell becomes an enclosure and its somewhat relevant to the speaker and will give you proper bass as well as great mids and highs as well depending on what you choose.

Mounting it in the door doesn't mean its inside the door, its mounted on top of the panel with the speaker grill covering it similar to what you would have mounted in rear as well. So you are not going to be losing out on anything.

Again all depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. If its only bass on a budget then ovals mounted on the rear parcel tray would be the way to go :D

When you listen to music with only rear speakers in a car, you're basically listening to reflected sound. the human ear is much more sensitive to sound from the front than the back. And we have fixed lobes unlike dogs (for example) who can orient their ears to the direction of sound. This is why humans physically turn to face sound.

The rear shelf can have larger speakers. That's about the only advantage, so the norm is to use a pair of components up front, and a subwoofer in the back. This is the usual way to get the best possible sound quality.

Dude these are car speakers we are talking about . Have you ever seen speakers mounted on a car dashboard other then tweeters . My swift has no option to mount speakers facing front . Only available options are inside the four doors or behind . The door speakers will have very little space to get amazing sound quality . Do you like to place your speaker in a cupboard . At the rear because of the good boot space enclosure , it is better for a good sound reproduction .

First off, all enclosures in a car are leaky.

Second, oval speakers cannot correctly reproduce low frequencies without some compromise on higher ones. This is why all component/hi fidelity speakers are round. The basics do not change whether it's a home or a car.

Third, low frequency is not the only sound in a piece of music.

Fourth, you should look around for recommendations on good sound in a car. The best systems have pods built into the floor pointed directly at the driver, with a sub in the back.

Fifth, study a bit about psychoacoustics. The ear is not accustomed to hearing sound from behind us. The sound produced is unnatural.

Sixth, most good setups only use rear speakers as a 'fill' unless you're sitting in the back most of the time. And then too, the speakers should be ahead of you.

Seventh, each speaker is optimised for a specific range of enclosure volume. A 500 liter boot may not be best thing for sound reproduction.

Good Luck :)

rohan_mhtr said:

You seem to be confusing over-emphasized bass with good sound reproduction. More Bass needs volume. If that is your goal (depends on the type of music you listen to), then perhaps rear speakers will suit you better.

I know we're talking about car speakers. My point was soundstage. Sound is intended to propagate from the front, not from behind. There's a reason all high quality audio installs spend most of their money on good front components.

Lower frequencies are largely non-directional, while higher frequencies do have direction.

So in a component speaker setup, the woofer/mid-bass driver is kept on the side door panel, while the tweeter is mounted on/near the dash. Unfortunately I did not realise the Swift doesn't have a stock tweeter pod mount, so that makes things a wee bit complex.

if the tweeters are there in front, its usually enough. the directivity of the ear is better at higher frequencies. A 6.5" mounted properly (with wooden spacers etc) on a swift door will produce sufficient bass with another pair of 6.5"ers at the back.

but if you are looking at bang for buck in a literal sense, then yup, ovals in the rear tray are the best way to go

The rear and front will be badly out of phase as the sound from the tweeter will reach the ear first.

The ideal speaker is a point source, so it's best to mount multiple drivers as close to each other as possible.

Of course, road noise and the leakiness of the vehicle make getting good sound almost impossible in a car. So people put in things that make a lot of noise or bass or treble and think it sounds good.

cranky, for most people (including myself before i got a proper sub), bass is the first requirement, so everything else - phase, frequency response etc are all secondary :p

Man , i wanted advise on rear speakers nothing else . I have mentioned my budget and if any door mounted speakers can outperform rear speakers in this budget then i have no problem whatsoever .

@crazy_sddy , there is no way a woofer can be mounted in a Swifts door . forget swift can you name any indian sedan who has woofer space in the door !!

bottle said:
N A proper sub would be better positioned to perform better in this area.

Conversely for your budget you can get some really good component speakers and mount it in the door, properly damped the entire door shell becomes an enclosure and its somewhat relevant to the speaker and will give you proper bass as well as great mids and highs as well depending on what you choose.

Mounting it in the door doesn't mean its inside the door, its mounted on top of the panel with the speaker grill covering it similar to what you would have mounted in rear as well. So you are not going to be losing out on anything.

Again all depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. If its only bass on a budget then ovals mounted on the rear parcel tray would be the way to go :D

Then whats the best position for a subwoofer in a car !!

And i do know that door mounted speakers are not totally inside , that was not my point .

Whenever i cam across a descent car music system in around 10k range most of the times it had rear speakers , Telling this by experience and not internet knowledge .

And finally i had already mentioned that i dont have a sub woofer and so Bass was important , i dont know whats the fuss about .

^He meant the midbass woofer, not sub-woofer.

Without knowing your preference its hard to give recommendations, we aren't shop keepers to push our wares. Are you looking for ovals, round speakers, what kind of sound ? This will make it easier to get recommendations instead of random answers like Sony Xplod with 10000watts pmpo.

for around 8k there are lots of options so if you could be a bit more specific with your answers, people would be able to give answers.

For front components you could look at Infinity,Bull Audio, Hertz, Polk, JBL. For rear I think Pioneer,JBL, Hertz are the usual suspects.

Here are some prices online to browse - http://www.hermitaudio.com/ground_zero.htm

Where are you from as well?

Edit: Some swift installs you can look at to get ideas. These are a complete setup though but you can see how the speakers are mounted to the front doors

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-off-show-off/96875-iced-my-swift-zxi.html#post2252686
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound...ce-morel-kenwood-blaupunkt-2.html#post2271836
Then whats the best position for a subwoofer in a car !!
And i do know that door mounted speakers are not totally inside , that was not my point .
Whenever i cam across a descent car music system in around 10k range most of the times it had rear speakers , Telling this by experience and not internet knowledge .
And finally i had already mentioned that i dont have a sub woofer and so Bass was important , i dont know whats the fuss about .

Most of us here are talking from our experience as well, I have both oval speakers as well as door mounted components and the front components overpower the rear ovals in every dept including bass and I end up using fader and reducing the output from the rears so I dont have to hear them. I rather not see another person make that mistake.

Anyway looking at your requirement something like the JBL GTO 938 would suit you. It will be priced around 4kish.

Edit: Actually for 8k you could actually be able to get both a set of front component speakers and a set of rear ovals :p

I have installed new ICE in my i10

HU = Sony WX-GT77UI

Amplifier = Sony XM-GTX6022

Front speakers = JBL GT5 - S265

Rear speakers = JBL GTO948

I am missing front speakers sound, all i can hear is rear speakers seems like they have overshadowed front speakers. Can guru's figure out the problem and help me with it.

Here are my 2 cents,

When building an ICE, start from pioneer at the least. Sony is crap, have never heard a dealer say anything good for it, ever. They do sell it, but mostly for the naive who know Ssony is a big brand (not in car entertainment)

JBL is a standard now a days though. But then JBL also has expensive models like the Kappa, 17.5k, and insanely expensive infinity model which goes to 1L per pair. So you will need to audition you options according to your budget.

A good ICE has components in the front door, components/coaxials/ovals in the rear, connected a 4 channel amp. A sub can be added, but it needs a monoblock amp to perform at its best.

10" sub gives sharper bass, and is for the driver. 12" sub, is to tell the world what you are listening to (I hate those people who actually end up doing that)

So like I said before, audition the options in your budget, preferably in the car. Once the speakers are installed you can think about amps and subs if there is a requirement and your budget allows.

net said:

Front mounted, yes the essential 5.25in a component set wold make wonderful voice, but the huge bass should come from rear.

Kappa are very expensive. 17.5k last I checked.

xxjayxx said:
I have installed new ICE in my i10

HU = Sony WX-GT77UI
Amplifier = Sony XM-GTX6022
Front speakers = JBL GT5 - S265
Rear speakers = JBL GTO948

I am missing front speakers sound, all i can hear is rear speakers seems like they have overshadowed front speakers. Can guru's figure out the problem and help me with it.
Sounds like lousy tuning. Talk to a competent person and ask him to adjust the settings. Probably the gain was set high at the amp for rear speakers. You can reduce that and also check the HU to reduce the volume a bit to the rear speakers

Back