Galaxy 3 secretly connecting to internet via gprs.

amohit

Disciple
Hi guys,

I have got a mysterious problem. Today morning, I noticed that on my phone the gprs "E" icon is enabled! Initially I thought, may be by mistake, I have clicked on apndroid. But that was not the case. APNDroid icon was still red! Then I checked the APN settings. In my mobile office settings, APN had apndroid appended to it. Proxy was 100.1.200.99. I changed the proxy to some junk IP address. But still that "E" icon was there. Then I thought may be my phone has gone nuts. Restarted it! and the icon came back. Tried to connect to internet, and it connects!

Any clue, why is it happening. How is it connecting to internet without a proper APN?

Note: Only thing i did on my phone yesterday was to install waze.

Edit: I deleted all the APNs and now finally, gprs connection is off.

Regards,

Mohit

^ Alternative option -

Search for APNDroid in market. It helps you to turn off EDGE, GPRS and other data connections with just one click :)

No need to remove all the GPRS settings.

I have Apndroid installed. Even then it was connecting to internet (even when the apn connection name was spelled as airtelgprs.comapndroid).

Regards,

Mohit

In my sony g502 it shows E as well. For me it just means I'm on an EDGE network, and not that I'm actively transmitting data.
Check your useage/data logs and see if it's the same for you.

How do i check that? Any app?

and by the way, I tried to access facebook..and it worked. So, it was actually connecting via gprs.

what worries me is that how can it connect and transmit.receive data even with wrong APN configurations.

By the way, I deleted all APN configurations, restarted the phone and created the Mobile Office APN again. Now it is not transmitting the data.

My hunch is that some application, processed the APN name, figured out the correct APN name (ie extract airtelgprs.com from airtelgprs.comapndroid) and was transmitting/receiving data.

Now the question is..which application..what data?

Regards,

Mohit

it was happening to me on my windows phone, it is not the E icon on the top but was connected, and all i used to disconnect it via red disconnect button, it used to show the rates charged, and balance left( pre paid mobile internet). i hard reset the phone , it stopped for a while, then i started again, on the day i starting to receive mms from airtel like usual greetings happy bhai dooj and all , delete all the mms , you have received from the airtel. it stopped for me after that

Was happening for me too on galaxy i7500. 30ps were getting deducted at times often. Then changed my APN and since then no deductions.

^ you changed your APN to what?

Even, I had the APN name spelled wrong..but it was still connecting. I am guessing either some application is caching the info elsewhere or somehow some smart application is able to deduce the correct APN string from the one that apndroid creates.

by the way, I deleted all the APNs from my list and recreated the Mobile Office APN. Since then, it is not connecting.

Regards,

Mohit

Disable EDGE

Open dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* to open “Testing” screen. Tap on Phone Information. Press the Menu key or button. Tap on More. Tap on Disable data connection to disconnect and make inactive any data connection immediately. Tap on Disable data on boot to disable data connection on next boot up

Faced this problem as well when APNdroid and similar apps suddenly stopped working and i was able to browse via gprs even with prefixed apns. Happened after froyo. Now I just disable 'use packet data' under network settings

hatydu said:
did you delete all the mms ?

Yes. There were no MMSes.
ariendj said:
Disable EDGE
Open dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* to open “Testing†screen. Tap on Phone Information. Press the Menu key or button. Tap on More. Tap on Disable data connection to disconnect and make inactive any data connection immediately. Tap on Disable data on boot to disable data connection on next boot up

"Disable Data connection" was already active ie Option showed "Enable data connection".
And now disabled the boot time connection as well.
abhifusion said:
did you de-select background data option ??

settings -> Accounts & Sync -> Background data ...

This was enabled!!
I remember I had disabled it the day I bought the phone. Either by mistake or some application enabled it. This could be the reason why gprs connection was getting activated on my phone.

But one question still remains....how can apps connect (and successfully get/send gprs packets) even with wrong APN string?

Have been using Call Meter Ng to check the data packet usage. So far after that incident a few days ago, gprs has not been used.

Regards,
Mohit

Back