Storage Solutions Flying with a hard disk

Hi..

I'm going for mumbai on sunday, and if possible i want to take my hard disk with me. but i am worried about the x-rays doing damage to it.

Has any of ever flown with a hard disk and can you tell me if it's safe?

Thanx..

Keep it in the carry bag

IMO the XRAY shouldn't damage the HDD, but I'll wait for some one with actual experience reply :p, kinda need this info too :D

OMG, X-Rays damage the HDD. I thought the Anti-Static shielding would be enough for the magnetic media inside it.

Anyways, I've flown thrice with a HDD, all working till today *touch wood* !! :D

TIP:Take a black paper (thick card paper type) wrap it up on ur hdd, it may reflect X-rays off ur HDD and yeah wrap antistatic materials too :)

carry the hdd in your handbag...

the x-ray machine won't do it any harm..laptops including their hdd pass thru the x ray machine without any risk of data damage....just keep it away from the metal detector

How does one keep it away from the metal detector, doesn't one have to pass thru them 3 or 4 times to get to the plane?

no, you don't have to....

Your hand baggage will pass thru the x ray machine and only you need to pass thru a metal detector once at the security check before boarding

ive used aluminium foil paper to cover a lot of things while going by airways. it appears as a black object in the x-ray machine's screen. :D

And the stupid Security peoples would Gun you down immediately by seeing that Black object in your bag :bleh:

But yeah Laptop remains safe through Xray machine which they use. never carried a seperate open HDD though

GUYS !!!! I dont think XRays can harm magnetic stuff - it requires powerful magnets to erase the HDD ... XRays can only harm "unprocessed" CAMERA FILMS which will get exposed by STRONG doses of XRays. Even the airport XRay machines are marked as "FILM SAFE".

XRays are actually a particular wavelength of light. I cannot see how light waves from an XRay machine could harm the magnetic data on a HDD.

Nothing happens... this is routine stuff and I've done this many a times. I carry a 60gig Iomega portable drive with my laptop all the time. No need to take any special care. Just dump the hdd in ur hand baggage and you are good to go.

last time i have travelled i had 4 HDD/GPU/MOBO/Speaker...... when it went under XRAY the person was like WTF !!!!! ..... he called me to chk ...... when i look at it it looked like perfect bomb lol ...... i can see inside the HDD, plater and head was visible :-O ....... anyways nothing happens to the HDD ..... done this many times hehe ......

X-Rays are not going to kill the drive. Nor will it help wrapping the drive in "black" card board paper. Its not going to make a difference as to what the color of the paper is.
The things pass through you when your in front of the TV, when you turn on a regular light bulb.......:p

thanx guys..:)
so i'll just take the hdd in my hand luggage..

i just hope they wont hold me up at security if something similar to rahul happens with me:p

its safe nothing happens. No protection needed , no paper wrap nothing. However if u have the plastic hdd box which used to come with old seagate hdd's nothing like it. put it inside it and wrap it in newspapers and band it with rubber bands jus for covering it up. Pal has travelled n no. of times to and fro nothing happens. so all u gotta go is dump it somewhere in between the clothes for better cushioning ......and ur set....or jus carry it in ur handbag as someone mentioned....

Rahul said:
last time i have travelled i had 4 HDD/GPU/MOBO/Speaker...... when it went under XRAY the person was like WTF !!!!! ..... he called me to chk ...... when i look at it it looked like perfect bomb lol ...... i can see inside the HDD, plater and head was visible :-O ....... anyways nothing happens to the HDD ..... done this many times hehe ......

LOL :rofl:

yeah as far as i know, it doesnt affect the hdd. but you would need good cushioning. as hanzy suggested just wrap it up between clothes.

Back