Budget 41-50k [Flexible Budget] Upgradation of PC for my Mother

BladeBoy

Bleh.
Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • I can spend upto 50K, but anything lower would also be benefical (as I am not aware of the current pricing/ procurement trends and just need a beater PC for my mum's streaming needs)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • The spec below is what I used to use during my study days (2011-16) - and since 2017 been predominantly used by my mum for Social Networks and YouTube
    • CPU - AMD FX-8350
    • Motherboard - Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX 2.0
    • GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1060 6 GB
    • RAM - DDR3 - 16GB
    • PSU - Seasonic Platinum PSU - think 1000W+ Fully modular
    • Monitor - Old BenQ GW255
    • Corsair Cooler Dual Radiator Old
    • Very old full tower case
    • SSD 860 EVO 250GB
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Old BenQ
    • PSU - Seasonic Platinum PSU - think 1000W+ Fully modular - Wish to old on to this till it dies (please recommend one for me to keep in backup list, to change when this dies)
    • GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1060 6 GB
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • I am having zero idea where to start and would need some support here. Following is the plan - To use the PSU and GPU till the time they last.
    • However, would like to have a CPU that graphics something like that AMD Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics (so that when Nvidia ultimately fails, I still have a CPU with GPU) - is this a right approach?
    • Need a case (not a full tower which can still accomodate my Seasonic Platinum Full Modular PSU 1000W+ and Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB GPU
    • Please be the best judge to recommend a good CPU + Board + Cooling Unit (if thats essential) + RAM + 500 GB SSD or equivalent
    • Please also recommend a better monitor that would be good for my mother? BenQ GW255 has been kind to her and light on her eyes
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • This will be my final config for next 5 years, so buying the reliable unit is the idea
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Chennai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching HD streaming videos
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • I dont intend to play games, if worst case some RPG games once or twice an year so can live with low quality or whatever GTX 1060 can handle
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - Do not have an preference
    2. Desktop - Do not have an preferance
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 11 64 bit

Bit of a different approach but I got a "AIO" PC (Dell OptiPlex 7770) a couple of years ago for my mom, it's like an iMac form-factor (AIO aka all-in-one) which my mom initially used regularly when she had a basic Nokia 3 android phone.

You could consider buying a branded AIO from the big-3 aka Dell, HP or Lenovo depending on your budget and preferences of the models/configs they offer currently?

Just a caveat, after I upgraded my mom's phone to a Mi 11x which was a major improvement over the entry-level Nokia3 she has pretty much never used the AIO since then LOL. She does all her "stuff" on her phone now - WhatsApp, emails, some browsing, FB/IG etc, shopping apps like BigBasket, Amazon etc everything!

Now the AIO is gathering dust, I use it now as dual boot with Win11 and linux whenever I can.

Just to edit - not necessarily from the big-3 you can also check others like ASUS, Acer I think also have some AIO models. Reason why I like the AIO form-factor is the compact/stylish with just 1 power cord everything else wireless (wifi, kb/mouse).

Last edited:
I thought of the AIOs - sadly they start north of 50K plus and good specs ones go beyond.

She got a smartphone and strictly uses it for WhatsApp and such. Social and all the OTTs in her desktop though - sitting and chilling in the AC room with the big screen :)

So any help with right recommendation would be awesome, in the interim, let me dive again into AIOs, if it's void of all the hassle, will buy and plug. Sell the old rig

and?

edit: nevermind :)
So any help with right recommendation would be awesome

It's probably quicker if you browse all the major brands' websites based on your preferences like screen size, CPU power, RAM/SSD capacity etc...

For your usage I would think 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD with a basic 4-core or 6-core CPU (please choose AMD Ryzen if you can hehe) and a 24 inch screen should be good?

Also, to save on dough, you can look for models without OS and buy an OEM Win11 key from wherever it's available.

I like these 2 ->

and

Acer/HP/Lenovo dont seem to have options,

They both default 8GB RAM only but I think they both have additional slot to add more RAM yourself of with help of a local technician if you really need more...

Last edited:
I'm using a ryzen based tiny similar to these
Uses next to no space and meets all your needs

just need a beater PC for my mum's streaming needs
I'm assuming this means that she doesn't keep a hundred chrome tabs open and doesn't work on CPU heavy spreadsheets etc.

Just get a 5600G for ~12k, B450 board for ~5.5k, new RAM for ~4k for 16GB, you're done. Drop 5600G to 3200G if you want to save 5-6k more.
Use what you didn't spend for maybe a new monitor.

I'm using a ryzen based tiny similar to these
Uses next to no space and meets all your needs
Only issue is that I don't get to use my 1060 till it dies, when I move to AIO or mini PC.
I'm assuming this means that she doesn't keep a hundred chrome tabs open and doesn't work on CPU heavy spreadsheets etc.

Just get a 5600G for ~12k, B450 board for ~5.5k, new RAM for ~4k for 16GB, you're done. Drop 5600G to 3200G if you want to save 5-6k more.
Any tower recommendation that can fit the Seasonic modular and 1060 GTX?

agree with vishalrao. I bought my mom a 7 inch tab for video calls and a 11 inch for movies, she doesnt even use the 11 inch. She's happy watching on the 7 inch. doesnt even use our tv or pc

I sort of settled with this, AIO looks good (just worried about its self serviceability), but for 50K I am definitely able to build something superior.

For SSD - Can I get this? Western Digital WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB, Upto 5150MB/s, 5Y Warranty, PCIe Gen 4 NVMe M.2 (2280), Gaming Storage, Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (WDS100T3X0E)

Or is there some other 1TB thingy M.2 I am supposed to buy?

You can get that, but you can get something cheaper too. Up to you, won't make much of a difference for your use case. Just make sure your board has an m.2 slot.

You can get that, but you can get something cheaper too. Up to you, won't make much of a difference for your use case. Just make sure your board has an m.2 slot.
CPU - amd Ryzen 5 5600GT INR 13,699
Motherboard - Asus Prime B450M-A II INR 5,910
Case - Ant Esports 411 Air ARGB (E-ATX) Mid Tower Gaming Cabinet INR 4,770
Thermal - Cooler Master CryoFuze Thermal Paste INR 519
Cooler - Deepcool Ak620 120Mm Cpu Air Cooler INR 5,530
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) INR 5,755
Storage - Western Digital WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB INR 6,739

Ended up buying these - looks I went a little overboard with spec + the air cooler. I will be happy if this lasts another 6 years or so - hopefully the my current Seasonic Platinum PSU from the old PC doesn't fail before that (but I highly doubt that - just in case, for the above + 1060 GTX, what PSU should I buy in the event Seasonic fails?)

CPU - amd Ryzen 5 5600GT INR 13,699
Motherboard - Asus Prime B450M-A II INR 5,910
Case - Ant Esports 411 Air ARGB (E-ATX) Mid Tower Gaming Cabinet INR 4,770
Thermal - Cooler Master CryoFuze Thermal Paste INR 519
Cooler - Deepcool Ak620 120Mm Cpu Air Cooler INR 5,530
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) INR 5,755
Storage - Western Digital WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB INR 6,739

Ended up buying these - looks I went a little overboard with spec + the air cooler. I will be happy if this lasts another 6 years or so - hopefully the my current Seasonic Platinum PSU from the old PC doesn't fail before that (but I highly doubt that - just in case, for the above + 1060 GTX, what PSU should I buy in the event Seasonic fails?)
This build is more than enough for general browsing YouTube and SNS even some light gaming. And yeah you went a little overboard with cooler and the cabinet.the stock cooler would have suffice

Looks sweet. Thank you - all you guys have been very helpful!
This build is more than enough for general browsing YouTube and SNS even some light gaming. And yeah you went a little overboard with cooler and the cabinet.the stock cooler would have suffice
I have had enough harrasment calls from my mum that CPU temps have gone up beyond 65C with this existing 8350 AMD and age old Corsair 240mm AIO.

Never again! So overboard it is.

Last edited:
Looks sweet. Thank you - all you guys have been very helpful!

I have had enough harrasment calls from my mum that CPU temps have gone up beyond 65C with this existing 8350 AMD and age old Corsair 240mm AIO.

Never again! So overboard it is.
Temps of 70-80C are normal while doing intensive tasks. Anyways if you can afford than its all good also AIO looks cool enough as compared to air coolers

Back