First Android device.

Rico

Rico Unchained
Adept
hi,

I have decided to get an Android mobile and get some of action happening in Android scene. Kindly help me in deciding one .
1. Q: Budget?

A: 10 - 15k (can extend to 20k )
2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?

A: TFT (AMOLED is possible in that budget)

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Do not prefer HTC,LG.
5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Front and back camera required.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: 3G,WiFi and EDGE.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?

A: mails, occasional gaming , android applications and internet. Like to try hand at modding ,installing custom ROM etc.
10. Q: Any other requirements?

A: Looking for Crip and clear display. The phone should have good Dev support and custom ROM support (Cyanogen etc).
11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

A: Dell XCD35 / ZTE Blade , Motorola Defy/Defy + .
I have been using Nokia E71 for 2.5 years now like to give myself an upgrade

( because my sis got Galaxy Note, damm that thing is huge
<
).

Almost ended-up with buying iPhone 4S. But didn't.
What i want / I do

> crisp , clear and bigger screen.

> The phone is for using apps and Internet.

> Phone should have excellent Dev community support / love.
What i don't do

> Won't be watching videos. (have a iPad for that)

> Not as a primary device for Music (have Sansa Clip +)

Get the Defy+ . It's miles ahead of anything else in that price range. Don't got for the Blade if you can afford the Defy. Blade/XCD 35 tends to lag a bit. I've rarely seen any lag on the Defy.

Get the Defy+ . It's miles ahead of anything else in that price range. Don't got for the Blade if you can afford the Defy. Blade/XCD 35 tends to lag a bit. I've rarely seen any lag on the Defy.

I beleive the big difference between Defy and Defy+ is the battery.most of the spec remains same.

In the above recommended phones does all of it has custom ROM and dev support.

Almost ended-up with buying iPhone 4S. But didn't.

What i want / I do

> crisp , clear and bigger screen.

> The phone is for using apps and Internet.

> Phone should have excellent Dev community support / love.

You almost ended up buying iPhone 4S and then reduced your budget by one third?
<

If you are after crisp, clear and bigger screen, I would suggest Samsung Galaxy S Plus. It is available for 21k in Ebay. Only Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note have better displays (and iPhone 4 and 4$ in iOS). Its performance is great too. You wont be disappointed by internet performance. But Dev Support is not that great.

Galaxy R is a good choice for 23k. It too doesn't have Dev support.

If you want good dev support try original Defy. It has wide user base and good dev support. Decent internet performance. Although it is stuck at FroYo by motorola, you can enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich on it via Cyanogen Mod and others. But its screen is just decent. Available in flipkart at 14.5k.

Defy+ has nothing more than defy apart from overclocked CPU (1GHz overclocked from 800 MHz) and slightly larger battery for keeping the same performance under overclock. So Defy would be a better buy.

If you want all the three, i.e., Great screen, Great Internet performance and Great Dev support, see if you can find original Galaxy S somewhere.

Upto 20K means Galaxy R!!

Hmm.. Forget those days.
<
. It is not available anywhere under 23k now..

Thank goodness!!

I was on lookout for O2x, But It was out of stock..

Then bought SGR.. Now my friends are on lookout of this phone!

I am damn lucky! One got it. Others are still trying!

Good Screen, Battery Backup, and lag free Performance won it all!! Really a Great phone!!

BTW, CM7 and 9 are gonna come for SGR soon.. Even AOSP.. Though both are at the starting phase still!

FOR OP, go for SGR,if you can!! Else.. Wait for Advance

Well just a suggestion, even after the Defy having all that dev support and superb performance (believe me, a custom rom and the defy is pimped), the screen is very disappointing. My blade's screen looks much much better, when compared to Defy.

Do get a Galaxy R if you can, as dev support is increasing. And also has an official ICS confirmation.

Yeah,exactly this is the type of info/insight I want to know . Ive been seeing some YouTube videos on Motorola defy,ZTE blade,SGS 2 etc. the Motorola defy screen does look dull...

If you can extend your budget, I'd also recommend go for a dual core device. It will future proof your investment, plus you will get to enjoy the best experience of android !

Samsung Galaxy R is a very good choice in this budget. LG O2x can also be considered.

AFAIK Samsung galaxy R is avalaible only in Univercell for 23K, also not sure they are in stock. Enquired in few others shops they were out of stock.

#akj_1989 reason I'm looking for relatively cheap Andriod phone is, before i laid my hands on Andriod, i got used to iOS (iPad 2 ).. the navigation and scrolling is a breeze , i wonder whether the lag of Andriod might put me off also not used to touchscreen phones (since they are relatively smaller than Ipad). Finally Instead of using it I should not end up putting the device on sale. Pretty long , but that's about it.

You won't experience any lag per-se in a dual core device.

I myself use Moto Atrix. Stock FW may be considered laggy but when you put CM7/any other decent ROM on it, it just flies !!

That said, screen size really is a personal choice, but I think 4" and above is sufficient enough. But you won't have any problem using a touchscreen phone for your basic purposes, just try once, and you'll never wanna go back
<

AFAIK Samsung galaxy R is avalaible only in Univercell for 23K, also not sure they are in stock. Enquired in few others shops they were out of stock.

#akj_1989 reason I'm looking for relatively cheap Andriod phone is, before i laid my hands on Andriod, i got used to iOS (iPad 2 ).. the navigation and scrolling is a breeze , i wonder whether the lag of Andriod might put me off also not used to touchscreen phones (since they are relatively smaller than Ipad). Finally Instead of using it I should not end up putting the device on sale. Pretty long , but that's about it.

Dude if you want a lag free android then close your eyes and go for Galaxy R.

Atleast as a user I can tell you I have never experienced any lag what so ever.
<

With a confirmed ICS from Sammy, increasing dev support is the icing on the cake.

As for the price when will you put your bargaining skills to the test ?
<

Do keep us updated on which cell you finally buy !
<

Motorola Defy or Defy plus. ??

Does Motorola Defy + has Cyanogen mod or any custom rom support? (let me rephrase)

Will Cyanogen mod work on Defy + (like known battery charging issue).

Just browsed thru XDA and Cyanogen forum , there is no concrete answer to this question.

Most them say no and some say yes (works with Motorola Milestone mod).

seeking help from TE guys running Androids custom ROM's.

#cooleagle

#akj_1989

#pratzgh1

#RS4

#rtkomar

#nanoneo

Defy/Defy+ dont have secondary cam, which is listed as one of your requirement...

If you want to stick to ~15k budget, SE Neo V should be considered... If u can wait, wait for Galaxy S Advance which is replacing Galaxy R, should land here for ~ 20k ...

Back