Linux Fedora 13 "Goddard" official thread

hellknight_mnd

Disciple
May 4, 2008
I'm currently downloading Fedora 13 64-bit Live CD (GNOME edition) which can be installed on a HDD. I will try to install this on the following config :-

AMD Phenom II 720 BE
4 GB DDR2 RAM (Dual channel) @ 800 MHz
1 TB Samsung SATA II HDD
XFX ATI Radeon 5870 1 GB GDDR5.

Earlier version gave me a lot of headache with the ATI cards. It worked satisfactorily with mesa-drivers but didn't worked with official Catalyst drivers.

I tried installing Catalyst 10.4 on Fedora 12, it worked. But now, as the X.Org has be upgraded to 1.8, I highly doubt that the card will work with Catalyst drivers.

Post your experiences, questions and solution about Fedora 13 here.

Dark Star

ex-Mod
May 7, 2006
I tried installing Catalyst 10.4 on Fedora 12, it worked. But now, as the X.Org has be upgraded to 1.8, I highly doubt that the card will work with Catalyst drivers.

Yep there is no support for X 1.8 :mad: I wish Fedora had used the 1.7 verison of X :(

Dark Star

ex-Mod
May 7, 2006

Yep there is no support for X 1.8 :mad: I wish Fedora had used the 1.7 verison of X :(

hellknight_mnd

Disciple
May 4, 2008
If you have a NVIDIA card or Intel onboard, go for it.. it rules.. if you've dedicated ATI card, then wait until the new drivers (10.5) show up..onboard users need not worry..

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Oct 7, 2009
Top Gear Test Track
hi!

i have been testing fedora 13 Goddard 32 bit version for 3 days now. all i can say is that its very stable, rock solid and way better than most of the recent linux distros - specially Ubuntu(which i hate!).

I have it installed in my laptop along with Open suse 11.2 and Windows 7.

For first time users, instead of adding and edtting a repo using terminal and gedit (which can be cumbersome and confusing) - try getting this BRILLIANT piece of software called Easylife. Easy life will install java and its updates , adobe flash player and its plugins, Nvidia drivers, audio and video codecs (mp3,ogg,flac,mp4,divx,xvid,etc) and loads of other important and useful changes and tweaks for you, some what like Ninite Easy PC Setup - Silent Unattended Install Multiple Programs At Once which is meant for Windows.

For people with Nvidia cards and Nvidia chipsets help is at hand !! Easy life will do all that is required to install the driver - download it and edit the grub.conf by blacklisting the default Nouveau drivers for you without you having to do nothing not even as much as pressing a key.

I got my Webcam working perfectly (its a bison cam in my laptop) and can use it with Cheese Webcam Booth software.

All in all Fedora 13 is a brilliant operating system !! Do Try It Out!

Will try and do a basic overview of Fedora 13 Linux soon.

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Oct 7, 2009
Top Gear Test Track
i have a very bad internet connection even a difference of 200-400mb between the 32 bit and 64 bit linux would be really painful to download 100 mb at times takes 2 hours. couldn't bear the torture of waiting that little bit longer so i decided to download 32 bit. will download 64 bit later in june - getting a much better broadband connection.