Linux Fedora 12 (Constantine) Discussion Thread

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
logo_fedora.png

The usual thread for Fedora 12 (Constantine) discussion.

Currently Fedora 12 Alpha is due August 25th.

Release schedule: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/12/Schedule

If you want it now install Fedora 11 and follow the steps in this blog: Unable to update to rawhide – rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) Rawhide Watch

I currently have quad boot with Win7, Arch, Kubuntu 9.10 alpha and Fedora 12 alpha. Got a scare while repartitioning because Fedora 11 installer was causing "no boot image found" errors so precreating partitions with Kubuntu live image worked.

Mainly installed F12 to test the "presto" delta rpm feature whenever it gets enabled: Features/Presto - FedoraProject

Too bad delta deb feature will not make it in time for Karmic: Delta debs and using zsync for package updates - Ubuntu Forums

Installed F12 alpha snapshot 3. Will try presto (delta) updates since its finally enabled I believe...

Original Alpha release would not install even after some fiddling. Other problems (anaconda crashing) with snapshot 3 but managed to work around them:

In the file /usr/lib/anaconda/storage/__init__.py you comment out lines 79 and 175 where there are references to "nss" and then it worked.

The thing installed in 7 minutes flat on my tablet PC from a Corsair Voyager GT pen drive not counting the reboot required in between. Will install Ubuntu 9.10 alpha6 shortly to compare the install times.

f12 alpha installed fine, problems with the ubuntu live usb, so had to make a real CD for once! still installing... im thinking it will be ubuntu for its fast and saxy boot :D

will play around with them a little bit later today...

edit: presto (delta updates) seems good. it claimed to download only 12 mb for actual 45 mb of updates - thats a lot of time and bandwidth quota savings...

My question is a little out of topic, but I have fedora 11, Gnome environment. I want to make it KDE environment instead, if possible. Also eagerly awaiting Fedora 12. So what steps do you recommend? should i wait for 12 and then get KDE, or get KDE now and then upgrade later? and is it even possible to switch from gnome to the kde environment?? or should i be happy with gnome and continue (no problems with gnome, of course.. kde just looks a lot cooler and more managed :p)

ext4 was default even for F11 i think (just /boot partition needed to be ext3 for old grub) and for sure its default for F12.

^^Thats why I hate ATI Open Source driver stack :mad: I still remember they delayed the 7.4 support quite a long. Heck I don't want KMS, nvidia has it all except KMS. They not only deliver support next day but has all the bell and whistle loaded just like in Windows. Full blown OC GUI with VDPAU and what not ? Darn only if they had 40nm card up and running :lol:

Back