CPU/Mobo Facing BIOS problem and UPS problem. Please Help!

channabasanna

Disciple
Hi All,

I am facing these 2 issues since few days. Suggest what has to be done.

1. Now a days i am facing a lot of BIOS issue in my Maximus Formula mobo. Sometimes the BIOS settings gets changed and the Boot Hard disk priorities gets changed. Yesterday i faced the BIOS issue and when i changed the BIOS settings and started it showed the year as 2099.
I am using 320GB HDD SATA, 160GB SATA Laptop HDD (Windows XP SP3 is in 320GB HDD and Windows 7 Ultimate in Laptop HDD)
  1. What may be the reasons for this, is it the BIOS battery is gone or weak?
  2. How much would a new battery cost, which brand to go for?
  3. Should i update the BIOS to latest version?
  4. Any other issues, which might be causing the issue?

2. I am having Sukam home UPS (1400), the problem is when the power goes out and by the time the UPS changes to inverter mode the PC gets restarted, so to avoid this. I even connected my WIPRO UPS (donno exactly whether it is 600 or 500, it is almost 8 years old) to the mains, to which the CPU is connected. Still this issue is happening. (PSU is Corsair TX650 v2 and Television is LG CRT 25" Golden Eye Pride, PC Config is in my signature, all lights are CFL of around 18~20W each (around 18~20 CFL's are there in total))
  1. What might be the reason for this?
  2. Is it due to the TV being on while the PC is runnning?
  3. Is it because of the time taken to get the UPS running? (Hardly takes less time to switch to Inverter mode)
  4. What should be done for this problem?

MODS: If this thread is in a wrong section, please move it to a correct one.

Regards,
Channabasanna S

1. What may be the reasons for this, is it the BIOS battery is gone or weak? Yes, you should change the battery
  2. How much would a new battery cost, which brand to go for? Will cost you around 30 to 40 bucks, any brand would be fine. Mostly the Maxell one is available in stores.
  3. Should i update the BIOS to latest version? Not needed
  4. Any other issues, which might be causing the issue? NIL

1. What might be the reason for this?
  2. Is it due to the TV being on while the PC is runnning? Is PC and TV working on same UPS , I mean the Wipro one?
  3. Is it because of the time taken to get the UPS running? (Hardly takes less time to switch to Inverter mode)
  4. What should be done for this problem?

Answers to problem 1

1. What may be the reasons for this, is it the BIOS battery is gone or weak? - you can try changing the CMOS battery, or measuring the voltage of the current a using a voltmeter or multimeter

2. How much would a new battery cost, which brand to go for? - Get one locally, its cost some 20-25 bucks, no idea about brand

3. Should i update the BIOS to latest version? - if the problem exist even after changing the CMOS battery, then a BIOS update is advisable, if the problem persist even then, they the issue may be with your motherboard

4. Any other issues, which might be causing the issue? as said before, the problem might be because of the motherboard too

@CA50, will get a CMOS battery today or tomorrow and check it out. Will update if the issue persists.

chiragsthakur said:
Is it due to the TV being on while the PC is runnning? Is PC and TV working on same UPS , I mean the Wipro one?

No, only the PC (including the Router, Modem, Printer (mostly unused)) is connected to the Wipro UPS.

Try switching the Inverter to UPS mode and connect the PC directly to the Inverter

(Wont work if voltage is back in your area since the inverter will keep running on battery till it runs out)

As you will be changing battery tomorrow.

For now try to Clear Cmos.
And after that get ino bios and load default settings that might solve the issue of Mobo if the Battery is K.

mehrotra.akash said:
Try switching the Inverter to UPS mode and connect the PC directly to the Inverter

(Wont work if voltage is back in your area since the inverter will keep running on battery till it runs out)
Will try this out. But need to know, if i use it as UPS does the TV and other applications work fine. Also, need to know will be there be any sine wave variation from Inverter.
asingh said:
Change battery and UPS.

:)
The UPS Battery is hardly 2 months old. Will see if the problem persists.
Nishu said:
As you will be changing battery tomorrow.

For now try to Clear Cmos.
And after that get ino bios and load default settings that might solve the issue of Mobo if the Battery is K.

Got a new CMOS Battery (Cost Rs50.00 from local computer shop, brand was Maxell). The old battery was showing 1.9V, while the new one is 2.9+V

channabasanna said:
Will try this out. But need to know, if i use it as UPS does the TV and other applications work fine. Also, need to know will be there be any sine wave variation from Inverter.

Yes, TV and other applications will work fine

Only difference will be

i) No flicker when switching to/from battery

ii)It will switch over to battery at 260v instead of 280v in case of high voltage, and 200v instead of 180v in case of low voltage (figures not exact but I guess u get the idea)

mehrotra.akash said:
Yes, TV and other applications will work fine

Only difference will be

i) No flicker when switching to/from battery

ii)It will switch over to battery at 260v instead of 280v in case of high voltage, and 200v instead of 180v in case of low voltage (figures not exact but I guess u get the idea)

Will try this today.

CA50 said:
@channabasanna, so the CMOS battery is the culprit :), replacing it will solve the problem
Yeah already have changed the CMOS battery yesterday itself, thanks :)

Back