Evian Babies!!

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007
An interesting way to merge 3d and live action was again incorporated into another baby commercial. No doubt we are all a little sick of seeing babies that can talk and mimic adults, but I have to say they did a very decent job here and it's quite cute to boot.

This was directed by Michael Gracey for Evian and uses the Sugar Hill Gang's "Rappers Delight" to boogie to, and incorporates live footage of 134 babies to help integrate 2D and 3D.

[youtube]
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQcVllWpwGs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQcVllWpwGs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
[/youtube]
Full Article here "Evian Live Young"

Reactions: 1 person

Speedz

Adept
Sep 22, 2007
Its nice, the concept and direction and stuff.

But doesn't it appear so obvious that they are digitally created ??(obvious as in without considering the insane skating, just by the look of it)

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007
^^ well yes.....apart from the obvious fact ;) that it is impossible for babies to do that ... I think they did a pretty good job of integrating the 2D and 3D elements. While, of course, it is fairly obvious in parts, I think this is about as good as I have seen and the realism is getting pretty good.

I think that the skin textures are amazing, I think they use subsurface scattering for a more realistic skin effect.

Speedz

Adept
Sep 22, 2007
Yea it is a very well done effort for sure.But i think the guys with the lighting and texturing effects messed up a little.For 2 things i noticed one was the unreal smoothness of the skin and second the strange, a bit over done reflection of the sunlight from the babies. What say?

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Is there a link to that ..orginal commercial ?

For those not in the know i thought this was quite a cool ad. Defnitely an attention grabber :)

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
It was played in Cannes 2004 (or 5) so you could hunt it down. I have a copy of it on my personal archives, but it's part of a larger video. Not savvy enough to upload it myself though...

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
cranky said:
I prefer the original Evian waterbabies commercial to this one. That was an all-time classic, and about three minutes long, and done very simply.

If what gmano posted is what you're comparing to the roller babies then all i got to say is

Nah :)

Then again how old is this ad ?

..might not be a fair comparison given the tech around at the time.

You can get someone to cover sugarhill gang but freddie mercury is irreplaceable.

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007
^^ Freddie Rules !! :bleh: one of the true rock legends of our time.. so sad to see him go like that, but how inspirational too.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
I only noticed it at his requiem and as hard as they tried Axl Rose & George Michael were nowhere close, nobody was :(