Storage Solutions DVD R/W with SATA or IDE

raskolnikov

Disciple
Recently, I upgraded my PC from P3 to AMD 3600. The problem is that the MOBO (Asus M2N8) has only on IDE channel:( . I have three IDE drives (CD R/W and two HDDs). At the moment, I have connected the two HDDs leaving out the CD R/W
I am planning to buy a DVD writer to replace the CD R/W. So which one would come cheap for me:
1. DVD R/W with SATA
2. DVD R/W with IDE + PCI IDE card.

Also please recommend the brand and model which I should buy.

Thanks,
Sumeet

You can try the IDE to Sata convertor. I think it is available for 300-500 bucks. This way you need not buy another drive!!! :hap2:

I think Sata DVDWriter will be much better than IDE DVDWriter + PCI IDE Card. But if PCI IDE Card supports more than one drive then go for it. you can attach your CDWriter to it too...

Thanks for your replies. I will probably go with the DVD writer with SATA.
I don't think I will need the CD writer anymore.
Which brand/model of DVD writer(SATA) should I opt for?

One more question for Bangy guys, is there any computer shop in Bangalore accepting the Accor Compliment tickets?

Amm.. Im just wondering.. If one does get a IDE to SATA converter and use it on the Sata DvdRW, wont it be slow anyway? I mean cuz eventually your data is being transferred through IDE so there's no advantage of 'sata' right?

Ank1t said:
Amm.. Im just wondering.. If one does get a IDE to SATA converter and use it on the Sata DvdRW, wont it be slow anyway? I mean cuz eventually your data is being transferred through IDE so there's no advantage of 'sata' right?
IDE can support atleast 20X DVD Writing (as proved incase of Lite-On LH-20A1P 20X DVD Writer). So using IDE-Sata or Sata-IDE converted drive won't be faster or slower either!!!

Unless we get much faster writing speeds in DVD Writers, Sata is just another way of making drive installation easy & preventing cable clutter in the Cabby... :eek:hyeah:

Get the Sony DRU 170S, Sata DVDRW at 1900

@Ankit, IDE max burst speed is 133 at UDMA 5/6 SATA is 150Mbps and SATA2 300Mbps

Name me 1 non Raided/non 10k rpm device which can use up all of IDE's b/e let alone Sata's :bleh:

so i have been reading sata drives work well with intel mobo only. nvidia 650i is what im gettin so should i get pata or sata, anyone with 650 and sata dvd writer if yes which brand of writer people. thanks

Back