Dual boot issue...

I have successfully installed vista home premium (Legit) on My primary 80gb hdd which also has windows xp on it. I have installled it on another partition created using the Gparted utility. Now my pc straight away boots XP without even giving me a OS selection screen. :huh:
How can i get that OS selection screen back while retaining XP as my default OS. ?

Hmm.. dont know much about it.. but i used to use PQ Boot for this.... during boot itslef it asks you which os to load... had lots of feature like.. pass protection etc....

I'm not totally clear here...

So you had XP on the hdd as default OS....then added another partition and installed Vista after XP.

This doesn't truly make a lot of sense to me, usually if you install Vista after xp, you will be able to choose which OS to boot to via boot menu as Vista will install the boot files to the XP partition and overwrite the XP boot files. Worst case scenario it would seem that Vista would completely overwrite the boot files and XP wouldn't boot at all... I am not sure why XP would be booting instead of Vista. Perhaps you have a faulty Vista installation.. you will always want to install XP first, then Vista.

^Thats what i did , Had XP installed from before and then installed Vista on another Partition on the same 80gb HDD , now i can only get to the boot manager if i insert the Vista Dvd and boot into Vista. I'm clueless here and my Boot.ini fle on xp only shows this -

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I there any way i can add the Vista entry to this...?

Excellent, FYI there is another option when you install Vista from Disk to fix the boot menu... as opposed to re-installing. Next time ;)

ReNaGAde said:
I have successfully installed vista home premium (Legit) on My primary 80gb hdd which also has windows xp on it. I have installled it on another partition ?

Your message is not clear, now tell me where both OS installed, is it on seperate drives?. If seperate drives, then download vista boot loader and add the vista OS to that, it will solve your problem,
if it is on the same drive, you have to try the same method or you have to reinstall OS of Vista in seperate drive.

I guess the issue is resolved..
anyhow.. what might have happened is that the vista's bootloader (XP's boot.ini) might have not been loaded successfully during the first install.
It does happen when you try to install 2 operating system on 1 harddrive that has 1 primary partition and the rest are logical.. the 2nd OS you installed, tends to read the primary partition boot files which is XP for that matter.

Just a possibility. :)

Back