dos and windows laptops

brightness

Disciple
There are two laptop configurations:

->laptop coming with window7 and
->laptop coming with dos.

1)What is difference between these?

I am planning to purchase laptop and decided to go for Dell Inspiration 15R series.

2)I may need to uninstall windows later for linux or i may switch back to windows xp.

3) can i run both linux and win on laptop?

According to above points which one i should go for?

Any other pros and cons regarding this?

Thanks....

1) You get a licensed Microsoft Windows 7 pre installed on the laptop. You do not need to install the laptop.

2) I am not sure if Dell gives you a DVD of Windows7 o that you can reinstall. but you can download a copy over the net and install it using the serial key you receive with the laptop. (wait for confirmation of this point from someone else)

3) You can install as many OSes alognside each other without worries. (I am Running a triple boot of Linux Windows 7 and Windows XP)

3) You can install as many OSes alognside each other without worries. (I am Running a triple boot of Linux Windows 7 and Windows XP)

Actually i hear some of my friend saying that if i have to install linux then is should go dos only laptop.

Also can i change size of partitions of hard disk later in laptop?

Actually i hear some of my friend saying that if i have to install linux then is should go dos only laptop.

Also can i change size of partitions of hard disk later in laptop?

I run dual boot Linux and Win 7 on my laptop. no issues.
You can change size of partitions etc using gparted.
But it is not recommended! Foresee your requirements and make necessary partitions before you install OSes.
First time i changed the size of a partition and all was well. but another time i did it windows failed to boot. Had to reinstall the OS (both times was boot partition). I started to create 2 more partitions than i need because of this.

Going with Dell means you will get the DVD media with Operating System so you can format the disk and reload the clean OS using the disk and Key.

as far as running linux and windows both on same machine you can either make 2 primary partitions and install windows then linux so that the linux bootloader can detect both the OS else you can install any virtual machine and use 'n' number of OS.

Back