DIY Floorstanders with peerless drivers - 3 way

thenvk

Adept
DIY Floorstanders with peerless drivers - 3 way- Updated pics

Hello,

I have started my new project about a month back. My requirement was pure bass.Contacted couple of forum members, and others and finally started with the below 3 way.

Items I am still waiting for are cross overs ordered from ebay.com
HiFi Audio Frequency Divider 160W 3 Way Crossover Filters for Multi Speakers | eBay

Current status: Both towers are done with silicon sealing and Luppam. One today and the other a week back. I am using one tower for now with drivers in it.

let the pics do talking.

Todays work:

Tomorrow, I will do the sand paper work on these and then apply primer. Once the Xovers are here, I would finish the work.

P.S:Thanks to VK (My friend) and Cranky for suggestions and all the help.

Update 28th Nov 2012.
Finally my set up is complete... And I am loving the sound.

Cross overs:
xovers1.jpg

Tower 1
tower2.jpg

Tower 2
tower1e.jpg

Also my recent purchase- -Astonia amp. and It is driving my towers with ease. 9'0 clock position is more than enough to fill my room.

astonia1.jpg

Apologies for the crappy picture quality.

It better to design a crossover which is suitable to your drivers than using a stock crossover since the performance depends on it very much.

Thanks for your comments.
@Gannu:
Bass drivers: 1600 *4
Mid drivers: 850*2
Tweeters:1200*2
crossover 1500*2
wood and carpenter: 2500
thers:2500/-
Total cost is aproxmately 20k.

Amp: as of now using the local 1k amp using transistors.Will plan in near future.

It better to design a crossover which is suitable to your drivers than using a stock crossover since the performance depends on it very much.

I agree, but it is extremely difficult to find the inductors in INDIA and through US, its very expensive. Hence I had to go for the ready made.
@cranky: Comments please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Making your own crossovers is only possible when you have the driver parameters (measured), and the learning curve is pretty steep. I don't even recommend off-the-shelf crossovers, as you will recall. It is better to use drivers like this till their natural rolloff, and bleed in a bit of HF using a single cap on the tweeter. It's a bit strange and a bit beamy (plus, there's no baffle step which make speakers like this shouty in the midrange), but it still works - sort of.

Also, even though Peerless is a whole lot better than most other Indian brands, their driver data is scarce, unavailable, and in some cases quite suspect. They also have very quirky out-of-band performance and require early or steep crossovers. None of these characteristics are served by 'off-the-shelf' crossovers, which are at best some kind of frequency cut-off filters, and will behave differently with different drivers. madhukannan is correct in his post.

Given the circumstances I had recommended a two-way using very basic drivers and with a doubled-up woofer (also given the listening tastes which I was informed about, music that had little to no midrange, but lots of thump and tingle). A mid complicates issues and I tend to think that the response of this system will be all over the place the way it is currently done. It would be a lot better if implemented as a fully active system where the crossover does not have to deal with varying speaker impedance, though the cost of amplification goes up in that case.

Then there is the huge gap between drivers, which is pretty unappealing cosmetically, and causes all sorts of response problems below a certain listening distance. We always try to approximate a point source even in a multi-way system, specially above 200Hz. One part of this is the actual crossover, the other is the distance between drivers - closer, the better. Now depending on where your ear is relative to the speaker, the response will change quite dramatically given that you are sitting 6 to 7 feet away from it. This is a big problem even with very carefully designed speakers (and I'm not going to start with a discourse on all theory), let alone a speaker put together over one telephone call.

What's done is done, though. Everyone has a first project to cut their teeth on and get their ear in - I've had many 'first' projects till I understood that it's better to build a proven and measured design if I am not going to measure it myself. The consistency of performance is worth it in spite of the cost, as you will forget about the money over years of listening, but always have the pleasure.

Back