Camera Digital Camera - budget 16k (grey)

vb86

Adept
im looking to buy a digital camera for someone. the budget is 16k and im planning to buy it from the grey market. therefore the indian mrp can exceed 20k.

im not looking for an ultrazoom and want a normal sized p&s. im also not looking at ultracompact cameras like a t-series sony as i feel that they do compromise on picture quality and some features. what im probably looking for is a high end p&s and its slightly urgent.

thanks.

Ive posted this in the wrong section. Mods, please move it under general portables. thanks.

well if u want image quality then sony W300 ,fuji f200exr.the sony has the edge and the best camera outhere in terms if pure image quality,draw back is u don't get the zoom range as ultra zoom cameras are capable,so u can also look for the panasonic models DMC-ZS3 aka DMC-TZ7 or ZS1/TZ6 these have higher zoom range but cannot match the image quality of the sony W300.

Agree with adder. You can choose out of the following.

Sony W270: Records video in compressed MPEG4 format and has wide lens coupled with good 5x zoom

Fuji F200EXR: Best compact camera for low light shooting without a flash

PanasonicTZ7 aka ZS3: Allround good camera with megazoom

Sony W300: Second best after Fuji F200EXR in low light. Negative point is lack of wide angle lens.

If you don't need a wide angle lens you can also consider some of the higher end versions of the Canon Ixus series.

Edit: If you have to choose one, I would recommend the Panasonic TZ7 aka ZS3

nikeel said:
Agree with adder. You can choose out of the following.

Fuji F200EXR: Best compact camera for low light shooting without a flash
If you don't need a wide angle lens you can also consider some of the higher end versions of the Canon Ixus series.

absolutely. +1 to this camera.

i was actually looking at the canon ixus 980is (sd990is in the us) but its out of stock.. is the ixus 970is as good/better as the ones mentioned above?

vb86 said:
i was actually looking at the canon ixus 980is (sd990is in the us) but its out of stock.. is the ixus 970is as good/better as the ones mentioned above?

As I mentioned above the only problem with the Canon Ixus series is a lack of wide angle lens. The Ixus 970IS in particular has a mere 37mm wide lens which is very very poor. If you are ok with the lack of wide angle, then any camera in the Canon Ixus series is a good camera.

vb86 said:

well the 980is will be better then 970is in terms of image quality but since the 980is has a bigger sensor, u will loose some in zoom range.but rather then going for the ixus 980is u can go for the sony W300 it has a better lens i.e carl zeiss so u get much better details and punchy colors(infact even the leica lens cannot beat carl zess lens in color department).

the fuji is good but still looses to the sony even in low light, the sony still has lesser noise in high ISO images thanks to super HAD ccd sensor while it was true that earlier fuji cameras very the best piont and shoot cameras for low light ,but not any more other manufactures have caught up and sometimes even surpassed.
sony cameras have always had good image quality the main drawback of all sony cameras is mainly the use of their proprietary memory stick format,if they use the more commonly used SD format they would definetly increase their sales by huge amount.
fuji learnt from their mistake when they used to use their proprietary XD card,so hopefuly things will change for sony.

i also felt that the memory stick issue is a major drawback.. ill see how the price of the card compares to an sd card tomorrow and make my decision.

vb86 said:
im looking to buy a digital camera for someone. the budget is 16k and im planning to buy it from the grey market. therefore the indian mrp can exceed 20k.

im not looking for an ultrazoom and want a normal sized p&s. im also not looking at ultracompact cameras like a t-series sony as i feel that they do compromise on picture quality and some features. what im probably looking for is a high end p&s and its slightly urgent.

thanks.

Ive posted this in the wrong section. Mods, please move it under general portables. thanks.
give me a call once you decide the model i know the perfect place to source it locally for you :)

x86 said:
What about the Canon G10...

canon G10 is a great camera but it is expensive i remember my friend buying it for about 21k in the grey market and another friend bought the sony W300 and when we compared the two the sony images had a tad more detail and had punchy colors,at the same time the W300 is also cheaper,but the G10 build quality is top notch not in anyway a pocket camera.

Back