Digi cam : Canon S5 or..?

^^

canon is good...but sony? IMO pannys are better in that price range. The FZ8/FZ18s are on par or even better in some cases WRT the s5.

Theres a chance of the S6 (or whatever its gonna be called) to be out soon.. Though this has been discussed A LOT in the dpreview forums and people did assume it to come out in May. Cant say though.. If you dont need it right now, wait a lil bit :)

techie_007 said:
1st Q: wat r ur requirements? :)

It should shoot decent quality pictures. :)

I don't know much about cameras/photography. This is going to be my first camera. High optical zoom camera with good IS is something I am looking for. Other things..I don't know..that's why I started this thread.

When is S6 (or higher) coming? I am planning to get the digicam this July.

Kumar said:
@Yogesh
Shouldn't the canon have more noise indoors due to poor lighting conditions?
Canon generally has better noise performance than Panasonic or for that matter any other brand. Personally if it wasn't for the fantastic lens, FZ18 wouldn't stand anywhere near S5.
raskolnikov said:
It should shoot decent quality pictures. :)

I don't know much about cameras/photography. This is going to be my first camera. High optical zoom camera with good IS is something I am looking for. Other things..I don't know..that's why I started this thread.

When is S6 (or higher) coming? I am planning to get the digicam this July.
I don't think S6 will be available at that time, last I heard it was going to be announced in October.

yeah canon S5 is surely a good cam but .... i guess you havent tried the Panasonic FZ18/Z8 ..or seen the some snaps clicked using it ..:p

Well it also depends on the form factor you are looking at.

I have a friend who wanted a camera which was POCKETABLE with good optical zoom.

We went to the store here and tried the following S5IS, SONY H-50, Panasonic Lumix FZ-18 and Olympus SP570UZ though we were really impressed by their capabilities we really didn't think they were pocketable.

At the least you will have to hand them around your neck.

We ultimately settled for CANON SX100IS it has the ZOOM 10x and is pocketable.

So just consider this factor as well.

aha_neo said:
Well it also depends on the form factor you are looking at.
I have a friend who wanted a camera which was POCKETABLE with good optical zoom.
We went to the store here and tried the following S5IS, SONY H-50, Panasonic Lumix FZ-18 and Olympus SP570UZ though we were really impressed by their capabilities we really didn't think they were pocketable.
At the least you will have to hand them around your neck.

We ultimately settled for CANON SX100IS it has the ZOOM 10x and is pocketable.

So just consider this factor as well.

Size is not an issue for me.
As of now, I am more or less fixed with S5, unless I get the FZ-18 for less price.

Dude panasonic has higher noise level unfit for indoor photography. Canon counter part older S3IS have less noise than S5IS also S5 is costly. You can go for Fuji s8000fd. The performance is acceptable but not great as the low light champion fuji F30/F31fd. But it is much more competent with S5.
Canon/Nikon using there DSLR brand image and selling the PS crap.

tirthankar said:
^^
FZ18 cheaper than S5 any day in US.
right now retailing at amazon for 289$ compared to 330$ for S5.

S5 $300.. Buy the Canon PowerShot S5 IS 8-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black and other Digital point-and-shoot cameras at circuitcity.com

But even better : FZ18 $280 !
Panasonic DMC-FZ18S 8.1MP Digital Camera - Silver

vijaycool said:
Canon/Nikon using there DSLR brand image and selling the PS crap.

You mean P&S ? canon has some of the best consumer P&S imo..

Ank1t said:
You mean P&S ? canon has some of the best consumer P&S imo..

Yes i can say S5 is crappy. cramming more pixels out of 1/2.5 inch sensor. IMO for P&S fuji is far better. The better thing for panny and canon is OIS.

Back