Audio Difference Between Digital Coaxial and Optical (SPDIF) out

vercetti

Skilled
Guys,

I was just going through some information in the net and was surprised to read that Coaxial cables give out slightly better sound than Optical cables under ideal conditions.

Drawbacks of Coaxial(wrt to optical): Impacted by electromagnetic interference. Optical is based on light so no impact here.

So, Since I am not anticipating any electromagnetic interference in my setup; I was planning to order a Coaxial cable as well. Do u think its a wise idea? Or should I stick to optical cables itself.

PS: both are priced the same

If you want to use a coaxial cable, get a normal RCA cable and use it.

I use a MX orange translucent cable with gold plated connectors from PC to the DAC and it sounds better than connected by an optical cable coming from PC into the same DAC. Ofcourse me having a m2Tech hiFace makes a huge difference :p

Are they one and the same? I thought Coaxial were better and 10 times more expensive:S
SunnyBoi said:
If you want to use a coaxial cable, get a normal RCA cable and use it.

I love it when u show off:bleh:

Any RCA cable will work but for proper electrical connectivity, its best if the connectors are 75 ohm. Otherwise there will be degradation of audio quality. But this is noticeable only in high end setups not in HT kinda setups.

There are very few true 75 ohm coaxial connectors - there are a few WBTs and Eichmann Bullets both of which cost a bomb.

PS: Avoid optical like plague.

Chaos, will it make a difference if I use xlr instead of rca's? using a pair of nearfield adam monitors.

Depends - some stuff sounds better with XLR while others with RCA. On paper XLR is superior. Get a cheap XLR interconnect and try for yourself.

Hi,

will it make a difference if I use xlr instead of rca's? using a pair of nearfield adam monitors.

Whats the source ?? if you have a non XLR output source then it doesn't make much sense to use a converter !! If your source has a proper Balanced out (XLR) then by all means use that instead of RCA !!

Depends - some stuff sounds better with XLR while others with RCA. On paper XLR is superior. Get a cheap XLR interconnect and try for yourself.

Am not sure whether a cheap one will give him the right idea of XLR,it has to be a decent one to get the most out of it,a good quality RCA will always outperform a cheap shitty XLR according to me (I know cause Am deep down when it comes to cables)

Regards.

^soundsgreat, I will use decent cable's, i.e, loan them
<

Back