DHL screws up custom processing. What options do I have?

dpandey

Adept
I shipped some items (about $100 of dutiable gods and rest books worth about $50) from Borderlinx a few days ago. Today I got a call from DHL asking me to pay about 5000 as custom duties. When I was checking out from Borderlinx, they had offered to handle the customs for another 2400 but I decided to take a chance.

I have told DHL to review the whole thing again but I am not sure they will do anything other than stonewalling me. I was wondering if anyone has been through something like this and was able to get the charges corrected.[DOUBLEPOST=1440481548][/DOUBLEPOST]Just looked at the custom department's calculations. Looks like Shylok's demand letter. They have valued the dutiable goods at more than $200 (added freight and some random multipliers).

Anyway, looks like I have no option other than to pony up the money. Lesson learned. Use the Borderlinx's custom clearance services.

Last edited:
Custom duty is doesn't apply on actual cost of goods but on CIF. That is Cost (that too not on actual but assessed cost), Insurance and freight.

You can ask DHL to clarify the charges. What is the assessed value, freight and insurance?

Custom duty is doesn't apply on actual cost of goods but on CIF. That is Cost (that too not on actual but assessed cost), Insurance and freight.

You can ask DHL to clarify the charges. What is the assessed value, freight and insurance?

DHL has sent me the sheet used by the custom officials. From what I understood, they have valued the items very high. I can't really fault DHL.

I was upset was that Borderlinx had agreed to process the whole thing for another 2400 :)

There are no fixed prices in customs. Borderlinx might have assessed customs on the goods value but in case assessed value turned out to be more, you would have to pony up the extra charges.

There are no fixed prices in customs. Borderlinx might have assessed customs on the goods value but in case assessed value turned out to be more, you would have to pony up the extra charges.

I have bought sh*t loads of stuff through Borderlinx and from Amazon.com international shipping. Never paid a paisa above the initial estimate. In fact, Amazon has given me back refunds in most cases.

I've had bad experiences with DHL too. Once I ended up paying Rs. 800 duty for 3 table calendars that my Chinese supplier had sent me on New Years. The only reason I paid it because the package included the original docs for my sea consignment.

Ask DHL for the bill of entry and see the TR-6 challan atleast to see what duty DHL has paid the customs. Duty is applied on the full CIF value. So if you received a discount on the product, duty is still due on the full value + shipping and insurance.

Back