Audio Desktop audio upgrade in 6k

kris

Disciple
Hi folks, I've seen many audiophiles around here, so I want you guys to help me upgrade my desktop Audio setup in around 6k of budget.

My current setup:

source: on board sound from an abit ip35-e

speakers: VS4121

Headphones: Philips SHP-2700

Usage: Movies, music, gaming in that order. My primary aim is to improve the SQ and throughput of the setup.

What I want:

I am not looking at a a speaker upgrade at all, since I share a flat and dont use the current speakers much anyway. I am looking at upgrading the source and headphones in around 6k.

source: soundcard/desktop DAC? I am leaning towards a DAC, my current favourite being the nuforce udac 2. Some questions.

1. Can I use the Nuforce uDAC to power my current speakers somehow? If not, can any other DAC do that?

2. Whats the difference between a uDAC and uDAC 2?

Headphones: With the money remaing form the DAC, I want to upgrade my headphones. AT M-50? I want clarity, soundstage above bass, but the bass should be tight and textured if not overwhelming in quantity. And comfort, lots of t :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Someone please?

The FA-011 is what you want over the M50. It's better in every possible aspect, nice deep bass that puts many closed headphones to shame. Great airy liquid mid-range although the highs are a bit bright. With so much bass you need that extra sparkle in the highs to notice details in "congested" pieces of music. It's cheaper than M50's too which is good when you're on a budget. Even unamped they are superior to the M50's ............................. from a personal viewpoint if open cans aren't an issue there is no reason to look at the m50's for anyone in such a budget ever again! :p

Thanks for the suggestion!! Any idea as to where I would be able to find it???? and build quality????

Well, I am looking at a headphone+dac/amp/soundcard setup at 6k. I can extend the budget a little if its worth it, though. So guys, would like some options on the perfect dac/soundcard+headphone combo for 6k...

Thanks for the replies guys!! Iw ill look into the creative as well.

But I am really liking the FA-011 from all the reviews- it seems perfect for me: great soundstage and mids for movies (great vocals are a must for me). and good thumping bass and bright highs. So now 2 queries

1. where to get them? (GD audio has it for 118$ - 5pc disc). Is GD audio reliable, and how is the shipping etc?

2. What amp/soundcard to get (the FA-011's impedence is 169ohm). Options are : Asus Xonar DG, nuforce udac. I dont want to spend a bomb on these.

Thanks for the replies guys!!

@abhi - I want a DAC+amp combo. I dont want to use my crappy on-board as the source!

So I went and bought a Nuforce uDac. Even with my modest SHP 2700 cans, the improvement in SW from my Realtek onboard swept me away!!!!! I cant believe I listened to such crappy sound all these years!

Now, to the question: How do I connect the udac to my VS4121's???? The speakers have a 3.5mm input and there are two RCA analog outs from the udac. So I guess a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable would work?? If so, can someone tell me where to get one of sufficient quality?? Thanks!!

Is this enough or should I get something better? Thanks...

some advice on the above post???

Anyone? Someone?

Avoid the hassle and just use the 3.5mm on the udac. You can't use both speakers and headphones simultaneously anyway.

I have Udac and Z2300 Speaker.
I connect the speaker to the Udac using a 3.5Mm Stereo Female to 2 RCA Male cable.
I have no issues.

Back