Laptops Dell XPS 15 L502x (i7 sandy bridge) worth a buy.

Aakash

Adept
Hi,

I have just bought a new dell xps sandy brige L502x laptop..

There are rumors that this laptop's gtx540 is a bad gpu..

But, i have checked about it on net before buying the laptop..

It's graphics card performs good in most of the games @ settings high.

Following are some videos from youtube for gtx 540m:

crysis: YouTube - Crysis Nvidia Gt 540M

cod black ops: YouTube - Call of Duty: BlackOps on Acer Aspire 5742G

mafia 2 : YouTube - Mafia 2 Nvidia GT 540M

dragon age 2 : YouTube - Dragon Age 2 Nvidia Gt 540m

assassins creed brothehood : YouTube - Dragon Age 2 Nvidia Gt 540m

NFS Hot Pursuit : YouTube - Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Nvida Gt 540M

Battlefiel bad company 2 : YouTube - Battlefield Bad Company 2 Nvidia Gt 540M

Medal of Honor 2010 :YouTube - Battlefield Bad Company 2 Nvidia Gt 540M

GTA 4: YouTube - GTA 4 Nvidia GT 540m

By the above mentioned links u must be satisfied with the gtx 540's performance..

I have been using this laptop for 5 days now,& have faced no problem.

The build is quit good..

The backlit keyboard as u know adds to the look and also good for night operation..

The unboxing of this laptop is as follows:

YouTube - Dell XPS 15 Gen 2 (L502x) Unboxing

If any one wants to coment then u are most welcome..;)

I have the L501x and could play Crysis 2 at 1366x768 with High Settings... Any game at native res and med-high settings is great even with my GT420M

So,the GT540m should be much better at 1366x768.....

I say go for it...

The GT-540M is a midrange GPU. It will definitely run most games at high settings (except GTA4 & Metro 2033).

Actually, people expected something better from Dell as XPS is a premium lineup & prices are on the higher side. That's why you'll find criticism of the GPU.

BTW, did you upgrade to FHD display ? If yes, try playing GTA4 in high in FHD & see how the GPU stutters.

Do post a review in the review section.

ordered my dell L502 a.k.a New XPS 15 last week , but due to holidays and etc , today only my order was placed properly ... so expecting it within 2 weeks from today

My specs

i7 - 2630

4GB ram

FHD 1080p

2GB 540M GFX

backlit KB

9 cell battery

yes i have been constantly reading and watching videos online ... as paul said, we all were expecting a good GPU , something atleast like 550 or 5850 ATI , coz other hardware are top notch , specifically the FHD screen , its been ranked top in all reviews thus far..

also do mind that XPS 15 is the first to come with 2.1 speakers in a laptop ...

For the details on my laptop, please go to the following forum link:

http://www.techenclave.com/laptop-buying-advice/plz-suggest-laptop-55-60k-total-187274-3.html

I did not intend to give a review for dell xps 15 L502x,But just wanted to share my opinion about the products and let others know how good is the laptop..

And As for the pics, here are these:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8188/img035oq.jpg

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5629/img036p.jpg

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/2954/img037y.jpg

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/2157/img038g.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5828/img039y.jpg

i got that sticker from ebay for 299/-shipped.there r many to choose from.
i went for 768p as15in is not ment for hd.
quality of rgb is good but not worth 6.2k

Dell XPS is not a gaming laptop, it's kind of all rounder, but as many people were expecting good GPU it surely pissed them off.

pros are :

The B+RGLED FHD screen is just awesome, next to those you see in Macbooks. No lappie's screen can come closer to this :p [Head to NBR forums]

The Speakers !!! These are best on earth

And the keyboard, typing on it is a bliss :hap5:

more

@op - congrats on your new purchase, have helluva fun :clap:

Aakash said:
i got that sticker from ebay for 299/-shipped.there r many to choose from.

i went for 768p as15in is not ment for hd.

quality of rgb is good but not worth 6.2k
[strike]thanks , but can you post the link of the dealer ? it would be great .. [/strike]

is it this dealer ? http://myworld.ebay.in/atthershabbir/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

was the skin a perfect fit or you cut some portion ? it seems you did make a cut for the dell logo ...

300Rs is pretty good price.. , also does it leave any sticky residue while you tried to stick it

i read that FHD is simply worth every rupee spent on it ... thats why i am going for FHD.. also its the screen which we will be seeing most of the time , whether gaming or browsing , so even in my 1530 , i asked for XWGA+ dispaly.. anyway its personal choice...

congrats by the the way..

can you post the benches ? and also how about the heat issue ?

u got the seller right,the skin's texture is great.go for the default size and use thermacol cutter to resize after u paste it.
i posted the wei score on my other thread.
one more thing dont go for x-fi card,the stock audio maxx is good.
i got the x-fi card,but the sound is better when switch to audio maxx from x-fi via software.
The gt and gtx makes no difference nowadays.its a thing of past.w

thermacol cutter ? i tried searching , couldnt get any thing about it...

anyway , thanks for the advice on the audio stuff..

how long did it take after your order was placed ? did you check the order status online ?

I placed order on 2-4-2011 got it on 20-4-2011. becoz of holydays my order was recieved by dell on 5th.
and yes i checked it daily on dell website.
once yr order is shipped by factory,u have to call blue dart to track yr order as they dont show the current status on website.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

and thrmacol cutter is also known as paper cutter with blades.

took 2-1/2 weeks ... ?

even i heard that nowadays delivery of dell is getting delayed... one of friends - friends got his laptop 4 weeks later... dont know the exact reason.

I got my XPS 1530 ( 3 years back) within 3 days , i was studying in kanchipuram , near to thier factory ... so it had to go to chennai airport and come back again to my place..

Still My status says " it will take 3-4 working days to estimate .. .blah blah blah...." , hope it doesn take more than 2 weeks ...

one more thing aakash , the sticker leaves behind residue ? i mean while you tried to stick , surely you would have pealed a little here and there , did it leave that sticky residue ?

As the sticker was new it did not leave any residue, But after some time ,when u will peal it off, then surely it will leave some residue.

But don't worry, it can be takken care of using LCD cleaner or something like that....

XPS's back is made of aluminium,so do not worry, it will be fine even after that.

Thanks aakash , except your sticker ( after seeing your photo though ) others seems very REGULAR kind of sticker .. cant find any other dealer who deals with laptop sticker ...

will try few other links which other membersgave it in another thread..

it seems 540M is not a bad GFX afterall , saw few more videos ...crysis 2 running at high - 18-24 FPS ... not bad...

Back