aadi007

Disciple
Hello All,

I have narrowed down my laptop hunt to the following 2 laptops -

Dell Inspiron 15R

http://www.flipkart....84-d52c35d73cf0

Dell Vostro 1550

http://www.flipkart....84-d52c35d73cf0

Both have 2nd gen core I3 procs with 15.6" screen.

Vostro comes with 2 GB memory while the Inspiron R comes with 3 GB. Also, Inspiron one has got USB 3 ports. Price difference is almost 2000 bucks. So, the question is should I spend the extra 2K and go for the inspiron?

I also noticed that the Inspiron R weights 2.7 Kgs while the Vostro is just 2.3 Kgs. Why such a huge difference in weight? I would not like to carry the extra bulk unless it is really worth it.

My priorities are -
  • Build quality
  • Display quality
  • Sound quality

one more question - Does any of these laptops have backlit keyboard?

the major difference between the two is, vostro is generally marketed towards business users whereas inspiron is for home and other various users.

so generally in vostro u might not get all the muti media and entertainment features.

IMO inspiron makes sence!

Thanks for your replies...

What about this one from Hp - HP 630?

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-essential-series-630-2gn-ci3-laptop/p/itmd2akzrghsudpu?pid=COMD2AKNNZXRDSZW&_l=Q9Xu+WJWR_A0SWsGc4CxmA--&_r=0At9Rn+zjRjdAnEDrGKWUg--&ref=0df53ca4-e1a5-45e0-8896-f0da18fdb59c

How does it compare with the Dell twins?

Also, I am surprised to see Asus offer the same config at 24K with USB 3.0... Is there any major downside of Asus laptops? I heard that the sound quality is bad and also the screen is not as good as Dell or Samsung. And what about serivve and spares. Their India website sucks bigtime and doesn't give any confidence to the buyer, Any Asus owners pl.ase clarify.

Thanks @RS...

Can you tell me what better entertainment and multimedia features are you referring to in Inspiron? I know the positioning is different but after doing some research on the net, I am not able to find any significant difference between the two.

The Vostro comes with anti-glare screen and is also much lighter than the Inspiron... also, according to the various reviews, Vostro has similar or better build quality than Inspiron.

Can someone please tell me what advantages does the Inspiron have over the Vostro? I can't find any positives other than the USB 3.0. On the flip side, the Inspiron has some disadvantages like heavier weight, glare screen vs the anti-glare screen of the Vostro not to forget the Vostro is 2.5K cheaper and also comes with a Targus backback as free!

I checked the reviews of both laptops about the screen and sound quality - both Vostro and Inspiron seem to have very good display and sound quality considering their price bracket. Even, the speakers are the same as well.

I am more inclined to go for the Vostro unless someone tells me any significant advantages the Inspiron might have over the Vostro.

Can you tell me what better entertainment and multimedia features are you referring to in Inspiron?

I checked the reviews of both laptops about the screen and sound quality - both Vostro and Inspiron seem to have very good display and sound quality considering their price bracket. Even, the speakers are the same as well. I am more inclined to go for the Vostro unless someone tells me any significant advantages the Inspiron might have over the Vostro.

if you can, go check both of them in person and you will be able to feel the difference!

if you can, go check both of them in person and you will be able to feel the difference!

I will, but why don't you make my life a bit easier?
<

Go for the vostro, it has better build quality than inspiron, an inspiron always looks shiny and good at first but after good 3yrs of use it will look like a creaky old laptop whereas as vostro will be almost the same as a new one.

Apart from that, you are getting anti-glare display and lighter weight.

Thanks RS4, I have narrowed down to the Vostro for now. I am waiting to see if Flipkart drops the price on Vostro 3350 which is better model than the 1550.

Meanwhile, one of my friends pointed out that Samsung laptops are supposedly very good, nice build, good keyboard, very good screen and sound quality. The folowing model is available at flipkart at the same price as the Vostro though with double RAM (4 GB vs 2 GB) and more than double hard disk (750 GB vs 320 GB). This one also features an anti-glare screen and weighs 2.3 Kgs like the Vostro.

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-np300e5z-a0jin/p/itmd7vrzx9cgffwe?pid=COMD7VPCHSAGHDSB&_l=XJgB6xPWnFnVe4p6tpupWA--&_r=msA9ga8x_3_K2GHhWGgzLw--&ref=7515e092-90da-4131-8b0e-4d318b90afed

Any opinion on Samsung laptops overall quality?

I am staying out of Asus as of now though they offer the cheapest laptop for the specs as I am not convinced about the overall display quality, sound quality, service and support, bulky weight etc etc.

+1 for Vostro over Inspiron anyday. And there's nothing such multimedia features which #[member='Rising Star'] mentioned. I have used both and found vostro to be better. The keyboard on Inspiron makes me puke.

Samsung quality is fine.

I will suggest u go with samsung.

new in market but beat others player in all aspect.

dell is ok but not lasty that's why dell offer more warranty or trap.

only heat problem little.

samsung take me out
<

I will suggest u go with samsung.

new in market but beat others player in all aspect.

dell is ok but not lasty that's why dell offer more warranty or trap.

only heat problem little.

samsung take me out
<

Can you elaborate a bit more on your experience with Samsung laptops and how does it compare with Dell (Vostro)?

I am interested in Samsung because all the reviews seem to be very positive and they are offering very good config for the price. Also, Samsung is one of the largest manufacturers in the world and I have faith in them and they also manufacture many of the components themselves.

Everyone,

Thanks a ton for the responses. It is going to be the Vostro or Samsung 3-series.

Please share your opinion about which could be the better choice among the 2?

In terms of config, it is Samsung all the way.

From the reviews it seems - In terms of display quality, both are very good and in terms of sound quality, both are decent if not good. Also, it seems the Samsung one offers excellent battery life.

But what is more important is the quality, durability, service etc.

samsung have gotten very good these days and are more eye pleasing. samsung does manufacture many notebook componets from screens, hdds, odds to rams. but like the inspiron they do get scrached and ugly. vorstro is ugly from day 1 and stays that way for a longtime. also similar looking vostros and inspirons are actually the same computers. vostros have some optional components removed to improve reliability.

samsung have gotten very good these days and are more eye pleasing. samsung does manufacture many notebook componets from screens, hdds, odds to rams. but like the inspiron they do get scrached and ugly. vorstro is ugly from day 1 and stays that way for a longtime. also similar looking vostros and inspirons are actually the same computers. vostros have some optional components removed to improve reliability.

raju/rashmi,

Thanks for your valuable advice.

Ugly or beatuiful is really subjective..so I will not go into that.

I got the Vostro and am absolutely happy with it and I do feel that it is much better built than the Inspiron after spending quite a bit of time with either of them.

Some places like the keyboard - Inspiron really sucked.

Back