Customs regulations india

de.das.dude

Disciple
hi all,
i am in kolkata and i want to buy some stuff off a guy in USA.
its a pair of DDR2 memory. im paying 40$ for that+ shipping that means a total of around 55$

what do i need to pay at customs? and what are the procedures?? this is my first time.
thanks for helping1!!!

^ Is there such a big price difference to warrant an overseas purchase? May we know which model it is, just in case it is available for cheaper here :)

our forum has a very decent search feature, you can expect this question to have been answered multiple times already.

de.das.dude said:
hi all,

its a pair of DDR2 memory. im paying 40$ for that+ shipping that means a total of around 55$

what do i need to pay at customs? and what are the procedures?? this is my first time.

thanks for helping1!!!
Short answer - No you don't have to. People 'smuggle' stuff worth several ten thousands (iphones, lenses, processors) etc without paying customs. So you don't have to worry about small stuff such as RAM. This information is of course based on my past experience. YMMV.

de.das.dude said:
hi all,

thanks for helping1!!!
~14% landed value which is (cost + shipping + insurance) IIANM.

You can avoid this if a friend brings it themself. they can bring in Rs.25,000 worth duty free.

Gifts cannot exceed rs.2,000 but was told recently the limit is Rs.10,000. Shopyour world i think it is allows you to import anything under that figure, duty free.

well he said he is ACTUALLY giving it as a gift now. i dont need to pay him at all. not even shipping. such a good lad!
OZC platinum 1066MHz 2X2GB for free! God Bless him.

...Whats a general percentage we guys pay for Customs,,,I just wanna know how much to charge someone locally for imported stuff...As everytime I have paid variable amounts of Customs Duty.

Back