PC Peripherals CPU Fan, etc

Hi Guys

it has been a long time since I last visted.

well 4 the past few days my comp has been acting funny. The temp of the cpu is around 67 degree. I guess that is pretty high, and soon as it reaches around 70-75 level the comp starts freezing.

so i have decided to buy a cpu fan, thermal paste, cabinet fan and a dvd writer.

I am no o/c fan but may try later. The price has to be VFM, fans should not cost more than 400-500 bucks and dvd writer approx 3-4k.

as i have lost touch with the market and the technology if anyone can suggest some good stuff.

I have visited itdepot.com which is quite interesting, also antecindia.com. The itdepot is also showing prices, are they correct.

As i am in delhi (south) is there any dealer from where I can buy the above stuff (preferably Nehru Place) or should i buy it online. (i usually do my banking and buying online, I have no issues in buying stuff online, except if they are expensive than what a retailer would sell)

Also I am trying to find an amkette dealer in Nehru Place. If anyone else could. thanks

PS: this place is still rocking, keep it up

^ 70 ~ 75C for an Athlon64 is insane!

There's most definately something else causing the problem. Have you checked if the heatsink is seated firmly? Else remove it , apply a fresh coat of thermal paste and re-seat it. Athlon 64 temps will never go that high.

from what he has specified, its a a64. and these temps are too damn high as eddy pointed out!! clean the hsf and apply a fresh coat of compound. then seat it properly on the cpu..

if that does not fix the problem, it would be better not to switch on your computer until you get it fixed. such high temps may damage the cpu premanently!

Yeah, 67 deg is really damn too high for a Athlon 64. My 3000+ Newcastle idles at 37 deg and goes to 50 deg on full load. That too is with the Stock cooler in summer. Somethings very wrong if your idle temp is 67 deg. Your temps sound more like that of a Pentium.

Check the heat sink (especially the fan) and thermal paste. see if there is any dust or some thing on the heatsink. Also at what RPM is the fan spinning. Mine goes to a whining 5k+ RPM on load. So see that that the fan is also spinning properly. The temps should not be that high even with a stock HSF. Also ensure that you have proper ventilation inside the Cabinet.

I agree with checksum that you should not use your comp till the problem is fixed properly. Athlon 64 will fry at that such temperatures.

I understand that I will have to again install the CPU but the problem is I am not getting any hand on thermal paste. Without that I am stuck, so please if anyone knows any dealer in New Delhi (Pref: Nehru Place)

so i have decided to buy a cpu fan, thermal paste, cabinet fan and a dvd writer.

Err, are you saying you havent put thermal paste at all on the CPU :O

if u havent get thermal paste from any computer hardware shop. otherwise ask switch where u get arctic silver 5 :D

^^Thats the regular price. You wont find it anywhere for much lower, maybe 50 bucks max. But with itdepot your getting it delivered at your doorstep.

dude still 70 i too high for amd 64.i got amd 2800+ overclocked to 3200+ and my temp never goes above 40 . ah and me not got any thermal paste and anyhting.

Have U Applied The Paste Yet,If Yes then Check If The Heatsink ANd Processor Make Good Contact,In Not Then I doubt That The Sensor In The Motherboard Is Giving U A Faulty Reading.

hmm well i have a hot A64(2800+)..there is NO thermal paste on it (and its overclocked to 2.5ghz :D) ..i guess thats the reason ..usually idles at 47...on load goes to 60 at times ..but thats in summer..stays cooler in winter ..by about 3 degrees..i need to buy thermal paste..but i am broke :(..btw SOME 2800+ athlons do get hot...

^ Yep yours is a Clawhammer based on a 130nm process. Add to that 2.5Ghz is pretty much the upper end of overclocks for processors based on this process so its no surprise that your temps are kinda high ;)

At stock speeds though as in prashant's case, it should run much cooler.

For thermal paste, some of the local stuff is also a good substitute for the time being. Not Arctic silver levels, but still decent enough and better than nothing. Moreover its cheap, 15 bucks of so for a nice small tub of it :p

Night Huntre said:
Have U Applied The Paste Yet,If Yes then Check If The Heatsink ANd Processor Make Good Contact,In Not Then I doubt That The Sensor In The Motherboard Is Giving U A Faulty Reading.
The computer starts freezing at 70-75 degrees. That would mean the cpu is actually that hot otherwise why would it freeze.
Thanks for the input guys.

I am running on a 3.4 and it idles itself at arnd 65 - 70 degrees.. and at times even goes upto 80 on using 3d software.... and my comp works like a charm..

at those temps you mentioned, the comp wont freeze, everything just happens a lil slower, i doubt if its a cooling problem...

But if thats an athlon 64, yea, something is wrong, an athlons not supposed to go upto those temps.. 45-50 is ideal... probably apply thermal paste and check if the fans got good seating.. taht shud do,

Cheers,

Tariq

Back