Coway Air purifiers

Party Monger

Skilled
Coway is one of the better air purifier brands and has great filters but I had this earlier, moves the least amount of air in the entire Coway line-up. not recommended. Get airmega 150 atleast, can be bought for ~13k on deal. Also always record unboxing videos of anything remotely expensive (subjective). I have received used coway air purifiers from Amazon before.
What do the filters cost and how long do they last generally?

Coway is one of the better air purifier brands and has great filters but I had this earlier, moves the least amount of air in the entire Coway line-up. not recommended. Get airmega 150 atleast, can be bought for ~13k on deal. Also always record unboxing videos of anything remotely expensive (subjective). I have received used coway air purifiers from Amazon before.
I have this one already. Specifically purchased it to use within a room that is may be around 200 sq. ft. and it does the job. Spending more for a small room doesn't make a lot of sense.

Probably will have to test it when the weather is worse but at present in Mumbai, it goes green within a minute and switches on to Level 2 may be once every 2-3 hours with windows slightly ajar.

Using it more like a table fan now which is mighty convenient in the summer when you don't want to switch on the AC for self. Also, the integrated filter costs about 3k before discount and much lesser with offers, so cheaper on that front as well.

As for delivery from Amazon, everything was sealed when I received it.

Probably will have to test it when the weather is worse but at present in Mumbai, it goes green within a minute and switches on to Level 2 may be once every 2-3 hours with windows slightly ajar.
Just something I found out while watching various youtube videos. Without real accurate PM 2.5 readings, that green light means nothing. The company could have set the green light to go off on a timer or on any AQI reading they wish. Most companies just resort to faking the AQI and red/green/blue light settings. And on a side note, I feel these air purifiers are just overpriced Chinese garbage.

I feel these air purifiers are just overpriced Chinese garbage.
You could be right. I am interested in limiting viral spread at my home to the extent feasible, and any insights on how HEPA filter efficiency can be tested would be great.

You could be right. I am interested in limiting viral spread at my home to the extent feasible, and any insights on how HEPA filter efficiency can be tested would be great.
I think some of us here on TE had a discussion on this during Covid and minimizing the air coming from the doors and having positive air pressure inside the house is the way I think. Having air flowing from inside the house to outside should keep dust and other stuff away. But that is just theory. Somehow air manages to come inside the house from nooks and cracks, doors and windows, etc no matter what we do. Unless we have 100% air tight house, I doubt we could really clean the air inside and make it free of virus, mold, pathogens and dust etc.
General consensus is to get Hepa 13 or higher filters for covid etc.

I think some of us here on TE had a discussion on this during Covid and minimizing the air coming from the doors and having positive air pressure inside the house is the way I think. Having air flowing from inside the house to outside should keep dust and other stuff away. But that is just theory. Somehow air manages to come inside the house from nooks and cracks, doors and windows, etc no matter what we do. Unless we have 100% air tight house, I doubt we could really clean the air inside and make it free of virus, mold, pathogens and dust etc.
General consensus is to get Hepa 13 or higher filters for covid etc.
Which city are you all in? This sounds so scary and disheartning. I am in Bangalore and feel so lucky that I have a few more years of clean air before this situation arises here.

. Having air flowing from inside the house to outside should keep dust and other stuff away.
For this you have supply air from outside through a filter (HEPA) into the house to maintain the positive pressure. Your house is not airtight and air will escape so you need constant supply of filtered air to maintain the positive pressure. if filter is not there at the inlet dust will enter.

For this you have supply air from outside through a filter (HEPA) into the house to maintain the positive pressure. Your house is not airtight and air will escape so you need constant supply of filtered air to maintain the positive pressure. if filter is not there at the inlet dust will enter.
Yes but filters only reduce the size of dust particles coming inside. Unless we have hepa 13/14 filters everywhere we cant do much.

Which city are you all in? This sounds so scary and disheartning. I am in Bangalore and feel so lucky that I have a few more years of clean air before this situation arises here.
I doubt it will ever happen thanks to geography. Bangalore is a mile high up. These other places are much lower.

The air is freshest during the morning as the winds at night do a good job pushing out the days accumulated pollution.

I doubt it will ever happen thanks to geography. Bangalore is a mile high up. These other places are much lower.
In my experience there is plenty of road and other dust in Bengaluru. If one lives in an independent home on the ground or first floor removing dust becomes a kind of daily activity.

Last edited:
Had purchased the AirMega 200 from Amazon couple of years ago for Delhi NCRs infamous winters. Working fine till now, just wish it had a display to show current PM readings.
(The model seems to be discontinued now).

Yes no offense to anyone and it is not a competetion who has the best/worst natural conditions, I was just surprised.

I live in an apartment on higher floor in a relatively suburban area of bangalore. Here, things are relatively good in terms of air quality.

In my experience there is plenty of road and other dust in Bengaluru. If one lives in an independent home on the ground or first floor removing dust everyday becomes a kind of daily activity.
True but air quality is definitely better. There's still plenty of allergens going around. I had a relative with asthma and Bangalore was impossible to live in. She moved to the coast and her condition improved dramatically.

trust me i have both models one is coway 150 and a philips AC2887/20
and philips does a much better job.
coway might be cheaper but its shit

photo_2024-04-01 19.58.36.jpeg

trust me i have both models one is coway 150 and a philips AC2887/20
and philips does a much better job.
coway might be cheaper but its shit

View attachment 194005

It doesn't generally make sense to generalise brands but if you check all multi-brand reviews across geographies, the Coway ones are usually at the top.

I do like Philips as a brand but each time I came up with the same issue where spares and accessories are either unavailable or overpriced.
Just something I found out while watching various youtube videos. Without real accurate PM 2.5 readings, that green light means nothing. The company could have set the green light to go off on a timer or on any AQI reading they wish. Most companies just resort to faking the AQI and red/green/blue light settings. And on a side note, I feel these air purifiers are just overpriced Chinese garbage.
The issue is true of every air purifier. The Philips and Mi ones with AQI readings are grossly inaccurate which is probably worse than having a 3-stage indicator. If it is such a concern, picking up one of the independent AQI meters for around 5k is a good option.

Relatively speaking, the filter does work differently in different conditions. For example, I find it switching on more frequently in the evening than at noon. Also, as per the reviews, those who purchased it in Delhi had the purifier running for 10 minutes before it went green, so really depends on the conditions in the room.

Last edited:
The Philips and Mi ones with AQI readings are grossly inaccurate which is probably worse than having a 3-stage indicator. If it is such a concern, picking up one of the independent AQI meters for around 5k is a good option.
Any you can recommend?

When I looked at these a couple of years back the prices were in the 8k+ range

Last edited:
Any you can recommend?

When I looked at these a couple of years back tge prices were in the 8k+ range

Not sure how good it is but the above one is what most Indian reviewers seem to be using.

They say it is developed at IIT and IISc, so may be better than generic Chinese imports but I don't think anyone would have tested it against more established products.

Back