Storage Solutions Cost of 500 GB portable HDD??

mobile_user

Disciple
Hi,

I would like to buy a 500 GB portable hard disk to store the movies, images and songs from my laptop. (My laptop has 120GB Hard Disk only) :(

Please suggest!

The cost of a 500GB portable has now settled at ~ 2.6k across brands.

If you need suggestion for a brand, look at the Seagate Go Flex or Expansion drives.

CA50 said:
how about getting an internal WD drive for 1.8-1.9k and getting another HDD casing for 500-600 bucks:)
You are talking about a 3.5" Drive??

Well, it would need external power, the casings that retail for ~ 600-700 are not always reliable plus it lacks the portability of a 2.5" external.

What's more, both the 2.5" portable and the 3.5" internal one with 3 year warranty and cost almost the same (after the internal + casing).

I don't think it is really sensible to go the internal + casing way... :no:

@neha, yep thats true, but the OP want a HDD to store movies, songs etc, sort of backup which can be fulfilled by this. Still he have the 2.5" portable HDD option

ebay has a seagate for 2500 shipped . and im sure you can find vouchers to get you 200-300 discount . if you cant wait , youll get them soon , so 2200-2300 is a nice price for 500gb external imo .

Really, I went to nehru Place and I was told everywhere that 500 GB portable Hard disk will cost be at least 3500, however the 3.5" 500 GB will cost be 1500 and USB casing is 500 so total cost is 2000. But I am not sure if it is safe to use such HDD. I am going to attach it with my Laptop. What if there is a sudden power outage? What will happen to my data and to the HDD?

^^ get from ebay seller mark-infotech. I bought one from him (seagate elements 500GB). It is also much smaller than the laptop internal HDD+casing.

Roxtin said:
For a 500GB portable which one is better Seagate Elements or WD Elements/My Passport Essential?
You mean Seagate Go Flex or WD Elements, right?

I would go with the Seagate as I have had a number of seagate drives and never had any issues. Plus, WD has RMA issues and we do have a dedicated thread for it here on TE.

I would vote for WD just because of their Home Pickup & Drop RMA service.

WD 500 GB is 2740 - Best deal.

Heads up

Would stay away from mark-infotech, 1st time bad experience, They sent me Re certified Drive rather then new drive.

I bought the WD 500GB a few days ago (3rd. Apr) - it was ~2.4K shipped. After 10% discount it came to 2.2K shipped. Did the price increase so much in a few days?

Re: mark-infotech,

I bought twice so far from him - no prob so far. He also included a VAT paid bill with serial no. this time upon request.

^^

It was 1st time bad experience with him. If u see the drive closely It says Manufactured in xyz or Recertified in xyz.

Luckily, after checking closely I found Recertified thing & sent him back. Bad experience. If buyer is not techie or not aware of this, he/she will be fooled.

^^

The Transcend StoreJet 25M2 is good drive plus the most important thing can take a couple of drops in its stride. Good price too, using it will vouch for it instead of Western Digital and Seagate drives who seem to gravitate towards the Piano plastic finish which collects finger-prints as well as look flimsy.

Back