CPU/Mobo Computer configuration for institute

My friend is setting up an accountacy institute, so he requires 20 computers, 18 for the LAB and 2 for his office.

1 Does he require a server?
(Basically they are going to teach them softwares like tally, ace, etc. but in companies as all the computers are networked it will be good for the students to get a feel of a LAN environment)
2 Should he go for Dell OR HCL OR Assembled?
3 Which OS should he install in all the computers Windows XP Home OR Professional OR any other operating system?
4 Pentium OR AMD?
5 15" LCD or 17" LCD?
6 Printer - Laser OR Inkjet?
7 Antivirus?
8 Also is there a need for Internet Sharing? (To update virus definations, OS, etc)

Any configuartion/suggestions will be welcomed

1: Its wise to set up a server. But the server need not be a dedicated one. A file server on a normal pc will be fine. Its easier to keep files,notes,patches plus a software repository on one machine.

2: I would suggest u go for branded in case of office. Coz with on-site warranty u would be better off than troubleshooting urself. Also student dont actually use the computers in the best manner. Dell or HCL will be fine but make sure u negotiate and lay all the terms clear.

3: Any OS that comes with the branded machines is fine. It will save u from any legal issues u might face, but most institutes run on pirated software anyways.

4: U should be able to get a AMD 64 rig now in pretty decent cost. Also check out the prices of Pentium 4, but i would say AMD.

5: About moniter u can go with LCD and it will help u with decent power bills. But use/misuse and funds may tilt the balance in favor of CRT.

6: Printer; depends on use. For office use u can go for Lazer. For institute purposes u can even buy a Dot Matrix.

7: U can disable all CDRom and Floppy drives to minimize virus issues. Also choose a decent free antiviral solution like AVG.

8: No need of internet sharing unless students need it. Download and keep the updates on the fileserver.

1 Yes. if more then 5 PC's installed.. server is required.
2 Go for Dell or HP will be little expensive but the after sales support will be amazing. assembled machines will be cheap but will be hassled if anything goes wrong.
3 Install Win XP Home edition if you want to save for licence fees as it will be cheaper then professional.
4 You should go for AMD as the latest processors are going cheap and plus good Visual support.
5 I recomment 17" LCD as for accounts & learning softwares-big screens means better learning comfortability and better impression amongst students ;) and yes. energy saving in LCD.
6 I would prefer Laser printer if printout are only in black. else go for Inkjet all in one will be worth to go for as you may need scanners and fax :)
7 NOD32 full version of Quickheal (i hear ads and saw on box. got full support for spywares/malwares/adwares)
8 Yes, Internet sharing is necessary (not on students computer)
if want further help we r there to give u config later

(Basically they are going to teach them softwares like tally, ace, etc. but in companies as all the computers are networked it will be good for the students to get a feel of a LAN environment)

YES, server must. 2 main reasons -
  1. Make it a proxy server for internet for only LAB PCs. else if it is a simple internet sharing (like DataOne Multi-users) students starts YAHOOing than studying. Just click to allow and just another click to block the internet.
  2. Buy Tally/ACE etc server edition for the server and run client editions on the LAB PCs. It will help the student by not have to create COMPANY, entiry of long long list to data every time they come to a new PC. As all data are stored in the central locaton (server), which ever PC they use next time they will get the same data.

Mainly depends upon your budget. DELL will give high reputation.

HCL and Assembled are same. BEST, You can have DELL for server and office to inpress the new commer..... hahahaha

3 Which OS should he install in all the computers Windows XP Home OR Professional OR any other operating system?

If it is just ACCOUNTS stuff then HOME, but for programming Windows 2000 Pro.
BTW: you can apply for MS Academic edition WinXP.

4 Pentium OR AMD?

your budget, give stress on RAM. Pls, give better RAMs like 256/512MB.
I have seen institute with P4 system with 128mb RAM and shared video !

5 15" LCD or 17" LCD?

15" for LAB and 17" for Server and Office

Laser, Samsung Color Laser is available under 15000/- (I may be wrong)

7 Antivirus?

no commment. I use Linux as Server and AVIR in LABs

8 Also is there a need for Internet Sharing? (To update virus definations, OS, etc)

DataOne Business Plan.

Design:

Dataone Modem (with 4LAN PORT) to -
Server, Office PC1, Office PC2, 1will be extra-free for future.

Server (configured as Internet Proxy server) to -
24Port Switch (future proof) to -
all LAB PCs.

This has an added advantage, LAB PCs can't access the Office PCs if properly configured.

NOTE: Server needs 2 LAN port by my configuration.

One point about LCD monitors might be relevant for your purpose. Using LCD monitors can make it possible to pack more seats into a given amount of real estate. Can have huge impact on business bottomline in terms of ROCE (Returns on capital employed).

iosoft said:
15" for LAB and 17" for Server and Office

What is the logic of a better monitor for the server? Normally the server is out of sight and never seen by customers, visitors, students, etc.

Emil said:
One point about LCD monitors might be relevant for your purpose. Using LCD monitors can make it possible to pack more seats into a given amount of real estate. Can have huge impact on business bottomline in terms of ROCE (Returns on capital employed).
What is the logic of a better monitor for the server? Normally the server is out of sight and never seen by customers, visitors, students, etc.

I know.... I have seen places where they use B/W monitor for server.
But, server and small monitor........... :no:

^^ With what logic ??

Anyways i dont think he needs a dedicated server. A machine in the lab will be fine. Probably the instructors machine.

Josh said:
^^ With what logic ??

Already explained, pls read the full post.

YES, server must. 2/3 main reasons -

1. Make it a proxy server for internet for only LAB PCs. else if it is a simple internet sharing (like DataOne Multi-users) students starts YAHOOing than studying. Just click to allow and just another click to block the internet.

2. Keep them out of Office computers.

3. Buy Tally/ACE etc server edition for the server and run client editions on the LAB PCs. It will help the student by not have to create COMPANY, entiry of long long list to data every time they come to a new PC. As all data are stored in the central locaton (server), which ever PC they use next time they will get the same data.

^^ I guess tigerdirect also home delivers the same to Delhi free of cost, else whats the point of even remotely thinking of provinding that link?

prashantrana said:

Yes! Serves many purposes - file server, limiting net access; virus updates cud be downloaded on to the server and then copied over to nodes.

prashantrana said:

Dell is EXPENSIVE! HCL is OK! Assembled is ok too, but if he's looking forward to not having any headaches about service/support, its better to stick with a branded PC like HCL. If ur friend has resources or a Admin who takes care of the systems, then even a good assembled system from a reputed dealer would suffice.
prashantrana said:

XP Prof gives u better manageability on the network.

prashantrana said:
4 Pentium OR AMD?

AMD as they form the best VFM rigs.

prashantrana said:
5 15" LCD or 17" LCD?

15" shud suffice, but the price difference between 15" & 17" is hardly 800~900 rupees. but, for 20 systems, saving ~19k on 15" might make sense.

prashantrana said:

Totally depends on how many prints he would be taking in a month. Laser makes for cheaper running costs and better long lasting prints. if he's setting up a new office, then it makes sense to get a All-In-One (Print/Scan/Copy/Fax) MFD.

prashantrana said:

It can be configured for the server to download the updates and then the nodes/clients cud update from the server.

And when i say a 'server' it doesnt necessarily have to be a high end Xeon/Opteron based server. Depending on the applications meant to run on the server, even a P4 desktop might serve the purpose. Typically, in most places a server is equipped with a basic monitor, unlike some misconceptions that a server shud have a fancy monitor.

woy TheMask, you copied my style.... hrrrrrr

just fun..... :tongue:
delete it after TheMask sees it.

Thanks for the response everyone

I forgot to mention the institute will be setup in rudrapur, uttaranchal (near bareilly)

There won't be an administrator to monitor the things so I wanted a setup which is less of a headache ... the basic problem will be of networking, so thats why I wanted to have a server so that the configuration is easy to do instead of having a loop-in-loop connection and also if he needs to add more computers he could do so easily ... wi-fi I think will be a little difficult to operate for the local assembler ... basically the institute will teach all the accounting softwares so apart from the tally server edition,antivirus, i don't think there will hardly be any other application runing...

coming to the hardware he can live with 15" LCDs and processor AMD is what most you guys are saying ... so AMD sempron or AMD athlon ? also which socket board should i get 939 or AM2 if he goes for AMD ... model nos will be welcomed... what we are thinking now is a Dell/HP/IBM server and rest eSys/HCL/Assembled Computers , for assembled one I can tell him which mobo and processor to get so the local assembler will arrange for the same.

prashantrana said:
The budget for computers is approx 18000 per computer (with LCD), if we can get anything below that well and good.

R u joking:S 18000 only and that 2 with LCD.... now DREAM ON DUDE

here r the LCD prices that i last checked...
15"= 8900
17"= 10100

so u need a good system in remaning 10000 bucks...:rofl: :bleh:

ok if u can stretch ur budget by 20k-22k then this is the system for u....
thats all i can say!! or u can ask the.... experts here!

<edited>

ok
if u want u can save some mony....
if ur setup up is gonna be 18 comps in lab and 2 comps for office use right!

so minus DVD-RW from the above mentioned config for 18 comps that u will be using for LAB and whenever u need to work with a CD/DVD... u can get access form server that has a DVD-RW...as u will be using LAN

A very reputed computer institute next to mine is closing down. They are using thin clients (very cheap) + Windows 2003 servers for teaching Office/V Studio/Internet etc. If you want to get some cheap ready made setup of around 50 odd PCs with appropriate servers, mail me at kalpesh@pie-solution.com. I can find out whether the owner wants to sell them off and get you in touch with him .....

no commission/brokerage except a few downloaded games/movies/mp3s (just kidding)

Back