Complete home automation

Nyan

Recruit
Hi, I am currently in the process of construction of my house and I'm looking into full automation all around. It will be 3 stories with stilt parking.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to add to this thread! If anyone is from around Delhi and has any experience in this kind of thing please pm me.

Things that I've thought off -
Lock and doorbell - qubo probably has the best integration but there's an yearly subscription which is a little annoying
Cameras - again if I'm buy qubo subscription I'm feeling inclined to get the qubo cameras
Stilt parking door - automated - smartpower sliding gate operator (uses rf or WiFi)
Routers - most probably deco mesh
Hub - sonoff ihost (I feel inclined towards ewelink because it seems to be easier to set up)
Switches - sonoff
Fans - rf based (I hope can be controlled with sonoff rf controller)
Other sensors - sonoff
A/C - hot and cool (again hoping the rf controller works)

I'm mostly looking for the most seamless way to automate things and again if anyone can help please let me know!

Get Home Assistant and see your compatible options. Consider wired or zwave/zigbee. For router again suggest wired AP's. get cat 6 everywhere you can. Since you are building new get wiring done it will save you many headaches in the future.

Lock and doorbell - Aqara/Ubiquiti/Yale/Ring
Cameras - Ubiquiti, or alternitavely look at Frigate
Stilt parking door - No Idea
Routers - Ubiquiti is my go to. alternatively TP link omada
Hub - Home Assistant
Switches - wifi can be iffy, I like KNX or zwave/zigbee. But expensive so whatever looks good and fits your budget. Maybe relays vs actual switches
Fans - rf based (I hope can be controlled with sonoff rf controller). Get analog over RF, easier to automate.
Other sensors - sonoff works, Aqara good too, Check out ESPHome/tasmota
A/C - IR usually easy to do with broadlink

@superczar - His thread got me into this.

Get Home Assistant and see your compatible options. Consider wired or zwave/zigbee. For router again suggest wired AP's. get cat 6 everywhere you can. Since you are building new get wiring done it will save you many headaches in the future.

Hub - Home Assistant
Switches - wifi can be iffy, I like KNX or zwave/zigbee. But expensive so whatever looks good and fits your budget. Maybe relays vs actual switches
Fans - rf based (I hope can be controlled with sonoff rf controller). Get analog over RF, easier to automate.

I am trying to go for wired connections only, for locks and door bell, I checked almost all brands. The key feature I want is the phone call feature where the door bell calls you on phone and you can talk to the person on the door. The best part about qubo integration is that you can all unlock the door while on this call.
Router - won't be deco I guess, omada is very expensive so looking into ubiquity.
So when I say sonoff it's 80% sonoff zigbee and 20% normal sonoff wifi thing. The only reason for choosing sonoff is that
1. I don't know how comfortable I'm with flashing tasmota/ESP home to make it work with HA.
2. HA requires subscription for Google home integration

Thank you for your inputs I'll keep them in mind. If you have any more inputs please lemme know!

Our home has an ABB home automation system. We use it to control all our geysers, lights and fans(but not fan speed) through IR remotes in the bedrooms, and a central control panel in the living room. It can also be used to control your A/C's and other electrical outlets. We haven't opted for internet connectivity, but if you do, then you can control your entire house via an app. It's a bit pricey, but it works, is trouble free, and the company is big and old enough that it won't go out of business and render all your internet connected devices useless.
Our system is more than 10 years old, and probably outdated. You should contact them and see what they have on offer now.

Last edited:
Add dedicated pipe lines for camera wires in the walls, so you don't have to mix it with the electrical wires. Consult the right camera installation folks to get the idea of how many cameras you need and what should be the routing path so that they all go into house where they meet with NVR.

Our home has an ABB home automation system. We use it to control all our geysers, lights and fans(but not fan speed) through IR remotes in the bedrooms, and a central control panel in the living room. It can also be used to control your A/C's and other electrical outlets. We haven't opted for internet connectivity, but if you do, then you can control your entire house via an app. It's a bit pricey, but it works, is trouble free, and the company is big and old enough that it won't go out of business and render all your internet connected devices useless.
Our system is more than 10 years old, and probably outdated. You should contact them and see what they have on offer now.

Hi this looks quite interesting! I will surely see what they have to offer!

Add dedicated pipe lines for camera wires in the walls, so you don't have to mix it with the electrical wires. Consult the right camera installation folks to get the idea of how many cameras you need and what should be the routing path so that they all go into house where they meet with NVR.
Thanks, I will keep this in mind!

I am trying to go for wired connections only, for locks and door bell, I checked almost all brands. The key feature I want is the phone call feature where the door bell calls you on phone and you can talk to the person on the door. The best part about qubo integration is that you can all unlock the door while on this call.
Router - won't be deco I guess, omada is very expensive so looking into ubiquity.
So when I say sonoff it's 80% sonoff zigbee and 20% normal sonoff wifi thing. The only reason for choosing sonoff is that
1. I don't know how comfortable I'm with flashing tasmota/ESP home to make it work with HA.
2. HA requires subscription for Google home integration

Thank you for your inputs I'll keep them in mind. If you have any more inputs please lemme know!
Qubo i believe is white labelled tuya. Stay away is the only advise I can give you. As for integrating doorlock and bell, that is easily done within home assistant. Further you can also get notifications on smart tv with opion to unlock right there.

Flashing is v easy, there are several guides online. Def worth the effort. Home automation market is quite messed up - On one end you have premium solutions like crestron/control4/savant and on the other consumer products like sonoff/aqara/quba/tuya. DIY allows you to take consumer products and build a system that is arguably supereior to the more expesive premium solutions. The choice is yours on deciding effort vs cost vs functionality.

I am also currently building a house and have decided on ABB KNX for lights, switches, blinds, fans, sensors, io, hvac. Doorbird for Doorbell, Ekey for lock.Ubiquiti for nvr and network. Front end will be Home Assistant, but all products also work with crestron/control4/savant in case I decide to go that route. Everything is wired and built to last. Pricey but worth it if youre building for the future. KNX has 500+ vendors and has been arond 20+ years, works with everything and has been known to have bulletproof reliabilty. I have spent months figuring out what would be the best approach and I can say without hesitation, get KNX if you're building new and can take out some budget for it. Else you are on the right track.

Last edited:
Qubo i believe is white labelled tuya. Stay away is the only advise I can give you. As for integrating doorlock and bell, that is easily done within home assistant. Further you can also get notifications on smart tv with opion to unlock right there.

Flashing is v easy, there are several guides online. Def worth the effort. Home automation market is quite messed up - On one end you have premium solutions like crestron/control4/savant and on the other consumer products like sonoff/aqara/quba/tuya. DIY allows you to take consumer products and build a system that is arguably supereior to the more expesive premium solutions. The choice is yours on deciding effort vs cost vs functionality.

I am also currently building a house and have decided on ABB KNX for lights, switches, blinds, fans, sensors, io, hvac. Doorbird for Doorbell, Ekey for lock.Ubiquiti for nvr and network. Front end will be Home Assistant, but all products also work with crestron/control4/savant in case I decide to go that route. Everything is wired and built to last. Pricey but worth it if youre building for the future. KNX has 500+ vendors and has been arond 20+ years, works with everything and has been known to have bulletproof reliabilty. I have spent months figuring out what would be the best approach and I can say without hesitation, get KNX if you're building new and can take out some budget for it. Else you are on the right track.
Hi! This is exactly the guidance I was looking for! Can you give an estimated budget for all the automation that you needed up doing? Also I know it might be asking alot but if you don't mind may I bother you later for guidance .

Hub - Home Assistant

ha, yeah - that was a long drawn and fun project.
Think it’s been about 10 years and every thing still works rock solid other than a few lights/ relays that have needed a replacement.
Practically everything in the house is automated now

on a side note, Lot of choices these days compared to back then

Hi! This is exactly the guidance I was looking for! Can you give an estimated budget for all the automation that you needed up doing? Also I know it might be asking alot but if you don't mind may I bother you later for guidance .
Really depends on how many points you are trying to automate. but between 5-10k per entity (Switch, Light, Blind etc). If you want cheaper i'd reccomend MDT products. Feel free to post any questions you may have on the thread. I'd be happy to answer them.

If you are in the apple ecosystem or intend to, you can also look at TP Link wifi cameras + Scrypted (https://www.scrypted.app/).

Scripted is a small application that allows you to add many third party cameras directly to homekit with two-way audio, motion detection and HomeKit Secure Video. It is fairly responsive and has a tone of functionality. It plays very nicely with the TP Link Cameras. I have 8 of these cameras set-up across my house.

Home Assistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) is another very popular unified home automation software with it's own app and ecosystem.

Hi, I am currently in the process of construction of my house and I'm looking into full automation all around. It will be 3 stories with stilt parking.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to add to this thread! If anyone is from around Delhi and has any experience in this kind of thing please pm me.

Things that I've thought off -
Lock and doorbell - qubo probably has the best integration but there's an yearly subscription which is a little annoying
Cameras - again if I'm buy qubo subscription I'm feeling inclined to get the qubo cameras
Stilt parking door - automated - smartpower sliding gate operator (uses rf or WiFi)
Routers - most probably deco mesh
Hub - sonoff ihost (I feel inclined towards ewelink because it seems to be easier to set up)
Switches - sonoff
Fans - rf based (I hope can be controlled with sonoff rf controller)
Other sensors - sonoff
A/C - hot and cool (again hoping the rf controller works)

I'm mostly looking for the most seamless way to automate things and again if anyone can help please let me know!
I use qubo for door bell, lock, cameras (5). two devices are free, only headache is that fingerprint ont work if there is lots of dust (i live in a windy area with lots of dust). I run mesh but all devices are on a standalone router. My service experience has been quite good with them as of today. (got all devices from the same person)
For Fans orient Iot are good https://www.amazon.in/Orient-Electric-Aeroslim-Champagne-Brown/dp/B07LFQXDCG

Really depends on how many points you are trying to automate. but between 5-10k per entity (Switch, Light, Blind etc). If you want cheaper i'd reccomend MDT products. Feel free to post any questions you may have on the thread. I'd be happy to answer them
Does ABB/MDT provide integration with Home assistant? Price would be an issue at 5-10k per switch considering we are planning 3 floors (that's 8 rooms plus closet and bathrooms, 2 kitchens, pantries, etc) of living space, a parking, a basement and a rooftop.
That's a lot switches and sensors. Do you have any brochures or price lists or do you know someone I can contact so that I can get an estimate?

My budget would be around 3-5l on this. Not including networking (that's a separate 2.5l)

If you are in the apple ecosystem or intend to, you can also look at TP Link wifi cameras + Scrypted (https://www.scrypted.app/).

Scripted is a small application that allows you to add many third party cameras directly to homekit with two-way audio, motion detection and HomeKit Secure Video. It is fairly responsive and has a tone of functionality. It plays very nicely with the TP Link Cameras. I have 8 of these cameras set-up across my house.

Home Assistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) is another very popular unified home automation software with it's own app and ecosystem.
Going with home assistant. Apple while is very intuitive and has longer support, is not my choice of ecosystem. Thanks for your inputs :)

I use qubo for door bell, lock, cameras (5). two devices are free, only headache is that fingerprint ont work if there is lots of dust (i live in a windy area with lots of dust). I run mesh but all devices are on a standalone router. My service experience has been quite good with them as of today. (got all devices from the same person)
For Fans orient Iot are good https://www.amazon.in/Orient-Electric-Aeroslim-Champagne-Brown/dp/B07LFQXDCG
I was looking into qubo and I realised that even with the most expensive plan, the app will only work with 5 devices at the same time, which is a problem considering the number of that will be living.

So I'm thinking of getting ubiquity cameras and doorbell mostly of the local data storage (and yes ik about their recent data issues, but looks like it was a very local problem with very few people affected).

For locks I'm thinking of aquara now and not qubo for the same above mentioned reasons.

Please let me know if the actual case is otherwise! Thanks:)

Does ABB/MDT provide integration with Home assistant? Price would be an issue at 5-10k per switch considering we are planning 3 floors (that's 8 rooms plus closet and bathrooms, 2 kitchens, pantries, etc) of living space, a parking, a basement and a rooftop.
That's a lot switches and sensors. Do you have any brochures or price lists or do you know someone I can contact so that I can get an estimate?

My budget would be around 3-5l on this. Not including networking (that's a separate 2.5l)
Yeah for that amount of real estate and budget, I dont think KNX can be an option. KNX has native integration with HA. For reference an 8 switch actuator is around 40k. For locks, look at yale, similar features, but with local support.

Back