Coming to Mumbai, help needed.

Srini

Disciple
Dear friends, I and my colleague were coming to Mumbai for Broadcast Exhibition in Goregaon East from 29-31st October. We are new to Mumbai and it would be appreciated if anybody can help us in finding routes and accommodation. We are coming on the way to CSTM through DADAR, I think we can drop at DADAR and cross to local train and reach GOREGAON. We want hotel accommodation nearby exhibition centre within a budget of Rs.2,200/- or any best hotel within this range and can be easily reachable to exhibition center.

mumbai exhibition center falls on the WE highway, and AFAIK there aint any hotels atleast nearby, ur best bet would be to find something in andheri / vile parle where u could take a rickshaw / taxi and reach your location (25-30rs. each way in a rickshaw).

i think people in goregaon would be able to comment better on this.

also once u reach Goregoan station : get off in the east and there would be a rickshaw stand , you can reach mumbai exhibition center in ~15 buks from the station. and any rickshaw walla can bring you. you also get private company bus's that can bring u there for ~5 buks per head.

keep your belongings very very safely in the local trains. wallet / watch / cellphones are prime targets and even more if u are a non-mumbaitie.....would be really better to spend some extra moolah and take a cab since u would carry luggage as well , also depends on what time are you getting to mumbai. If anytime during the evening after 5pm then dont even attempt to take the local train to goregaon.

thetechmind said:
mumbai exhibition center falls on the WE highway, and AFAIK there aint any hotels atleast nearby, ur best bet would be to find something in andheri / vile parle where u could take a rickshaw / taxi and reach your location (25-30rs. each way).

i think people in goregaon would be able to comment better on this.

Yah diffenetly, anybody from Goregaon please?.

there is a good hotel near the highway that i know off but i dont know the rates here - will find them out....and is your budget of 2200/- per head or for both ? :O

eating shouldnt be a problem cause every look-and-corner has hotels which can fill stomach of 2 people in 100 buks easily. (talking of good food , unless u want to cherish mumbai ka vada pav! p.s u have to try that :D)

edit : just inquired : 3000 + tax for a double room.

if u would wish to travel by train in the mornings - off peak on that route - station is 1 min away from the hotel
since u would return in the evening in the opposite direction that would be off peak for u too , thats something u are lucky at.
train tickets would cost you - rs. 8 for a return ticket per head
and then rickshaw from goregaon like i said and the same route back.
direct to venue in rickshaw ( and the rick guy cannot take u for a ride cause its on the highway itself :) ) ~30-40 buks

prices should be really cheaper in goregaon area since its away from the airport too.

goregoan people! wake up!!!

There's one hotel in malad west Hometel (Behind Inorbit Mall Near HSBC UMANG Building) thats near goregaon Local Station 15 Rs Fair. I dont know the Rates n stuff. One of my frnd works at HSBC i'll ask him n c if i cud get the Rate.

thetechmind said:
there is a good hotel near the highway that i know off but i dont know the rates here - will find them out....and is your budget of 2200/- per head or for both ? :O

eating shouldnt be a problem cause every look-and-corner has hotels which can fill stomach of 2 people in 100 buks easily. (talking of good food , unless u want to cherish mumbai ka vada pav! p.s u have to try that :D)

edit : just inquired : 3000 + tax for a double room.

if u would wish to travel by train in the mornings - off peak on that route - station is 1 min away from the hotel
since u would return in the evening in the opposite direction that would be off peak for u too , thats something u are lucky at.
train tickets would cost you - rs. 8 for a return ticket per head
and then rickshaw from goregaon like i said and the same route back.
direct to venue in rickshaw ( and the rick guy cannot take u for a ride cause its on the highway itself :) ) ~30-40 buks

prices should be really cheaper in goregaon area since its away from the airport too.

goregoan people! wake up!!!

Thanks for your replies, my budget is 2200 for 2 persons, can go upto 2500 also, I think we can have a double room. Food we need rice with curd, so we have to search I believe. Remaining all looks reasonable prices.

rice with curd ... you southie rascals :p

way OT and non racist , sarcastic comment ... made in jest and yes i am a southie so i can make that joke

@2500 for 2 people --won't get a hotel room - not in the western suburbs you won't !

you would have to try the eastern suburbs--ghatkopar/powai and those areas--but then travelling would be a pain.

boarding a train from dadar to any part of mumbai in peak as well as non-peak hours is tougher than climbing mount everest--people who disagree with me--board a virar fast from dadar in the evening!!!

you are better off with a ac taxi service like meru--022-44224422 -- call them a day in advance at the earliest and 5-6 hours prior to your departure time at the latest.

for eating at hotels--go for the south indian thali or just thali @ 35-45 rs per meal it is easy on the wallet!

have fun in mumbai!!!

btw there are a few cheap hotels near the airport--don't remember the names--airport inn or airport lodge or something. from andheri and vile parle it would be much more than 30rs to go to the goregaon exhibition center by rickshaw--something like 60-65--thank the traffic --it is there all day except after 2--3 am.

^ lol at mount Everest, thats why i also warned them , not even to think about it.

@srini : the good thing is u have sufficient time in hand for looking at the options. and please don't even think of any accommodation in powai or ghatkopar. the hotel i gave u details about is a 'southie' hotel :) which serves all kinda 'southie' foods. they have a huge hotel , 3 of them :O and have lodging on the 1st floor. its been here since decades. so u can keep it as an option if nothing works out locally i.e closeby for u.

oye! the places in ghatkopar and powai are not bad--infact they are way better than what you are suggesting him--they have attached eating joints and are cheap air conditioned and comfy!!! only trouble with these areas is traveling!!!

btw why are we fighting over it -- its not like the hotels are paying us to advertise em!

Our trip is confirmed and we want to visit Lonavala -Khandala, Matheran and surrounding places, guys please help us to visit this places like which is the best time to leave from mumbai to this place and order of visit, and transport in economical way. We are 3 persons coming to Mumbai.

Rent a car, Tata Indica or the likes...

BTW Khandala, and Lonavala are overrated, especially Lonavala which is more or less like a small city now. Matheran's policy of not allowing vehicles inside is working, with you getting a feeling of being outside a city etc...

+1 to renting the car. for 3500-3000 (fuel included + AC) (at least last year for my mum-guj-mum trip) so this would be more cheaper....if u wish to travel the hard way then u need to take bus's that set off from Dadar Circle. and then local transport at your visit location. Just rent the car. With 3 people splitting the cost traveling on your own alone with be too costly.

Wrong timing for lonavala i say, not underestimating the scenic for sure. And the road from Tiger Point to Amby Valley is a bikers delight :drool2: (must resist since i mentioned). I suggest you do Mahableshwar - Matheran - Lonavala - Khandala (in that order).

If you would like to include a small trek (1hr each way), u can pick the trek to the fort in lonavala. Its really worth the time spent. If you want a intense trek for an excellent experience you go off-roading for a little while and then walk! interior just prior to lonavala to a place called - Rajmachi.

Locally in Mumbai you can spend some good breeze @ Marine Drive and have a walk on the entire stretch, famously known as the Queens Necklace. Also go to Chowpatty. Check out the new sea link in Mumbai and there is so much much much more.

We have decided to stay at Dadar, any help in finding the accomodation within budget of 2500 would be appreciated for 3 members. We are arriving there at 4:30AM on 29th morning.

Srini said:
We have decided to stay at Dadar, any help in finding the accomodation within budget of 2500 would be appreciated for 3 members. We are arriving there at 4:30AM on 29th morning.

2500 for 3 people (?????, since u mentioned 2 earlier !) is very very difficult. u might get some not-so-good types. isnt your company gonna take care of this stay and all ? :S :S

and dadar to goregaon up-n-down travelling ? how are u gonna do that ? ( train ??? im guessing or public bus )

Google results for some places of stay in dadar........

1) http://www.mumbainet.com/hotels/parklane/index.htm <--- fits your budget and near to the station too.

2) http://www.rameehotels.com/

thetechmind said:
2500 for 3 people (?????, since u mentioned 2 earlier !) is very very difficult. u might get some not-so-good types. isnt your company gonna take care of this stay and all ? :S :S

and dadar to goregaon up-n-down travelling ? how are u gonna do that ? ( train ??? im guessing or public bus )

Google results for some places of stay in dadar........

1) Hotel Parklane - Dadar, Mumbai <--- fits your budget and near to the station too.
2) dubai hotels, bahrain hotels, oman hotels, bangalore hotels, mumbai hotels

No problem, budget can be increased. How about travel in local train?.

Srini said:
No problem, budget can be increased. How about travel in local train?.

a very serious question , have u ever traveled in mumbai local trains :O

although u will be able to beat the rush since u will be travelling in opposite directions.....

peak hours is mostly like this!---> mumbai local train - Google Images

Edit :

Considering the off-rush travel for u , it will be ok i guess, but dont even try it with luggage - dadar to goregaon should take something like ummmm.....20-25 mins......and yes don't board the fast train by mistake cause the train wont stop at goregaon.

P.S. - dont think i want to demotivate or scare u with the train stuff ...but for first timers its :O....and even for locals it a topic of fun like i told a friend the other day...."tereko churchgate se 6pm ke virar fast ke chadake, andheri utarneko bolunga" :lol: (i'll make u board a virar fast from churchgate @ 6pm and then ask u to get off @ andheri) .....daily travellers would know its such an offence.

local train? seriously? that too from Dadar to Goregaon? even if it's not rush hour, it's definitely not recommended. And why take accomodation in Dadar if you want to be in Goregaon? :/

Back