cheapest CPU for torrent Download

Knight Rider

Disciple
Team,

I got my PC together after getting so many inputs from the forum. Now i have started downloading torrents on a regular basis and most of the times, the PC is on.

I was looking at alternatives for 24/7 Download and looked at modems, and all other options possible including the Net book that was up for sale in E-bay for 5k (no it cant download torrents) There is no consistency as far as i see it in any of the alternative options.

So my query is simple, i already have a PC and don't want to overwork it, i want to build a torrent down loader (CPU only) in the least budget. Please help me

Mods, please delete this thread if it does not deserve to be here

Thank you

+1 to Dockstar. Needs a bit tinkering at first but ultimately nothing compares in terms of price, power consumption and space occupied.

@gaurish.. Seagate dockstar looks cool. Can you please give some more info on that, so please clear some of my doubts.

1. Price ?...as on ebay..its more than Rs.3500, so i wanted to confirm.

2. Availability (preferably in Delhi) ?

3. Does it support internal 3.5" hard drive(SATA) or its for external USB drives only?

4. I'm using MTNL net on a simple modem(with 4 LAN port), so cant it be configured to download torrents even when my system is turned off ? Like i connect it with my modem via LAN cable for download purpose ?

@varkey,thanks for a quick reply.

Is there any other alternative besides Seagate Dockstar for torrent downloading.

Or any other cheap docking solution support torrent downloading after some modding ?? Preferably within Rs.2k or 2.5k range.

Or should i buy a simple wifi router with a USB port and flash it with DD-WRT or some other firmware to support torrent downloading ??

Is this a better decision as then i would get a Wifi solution too..

Edit:- already have a adsl modem but no wifi..

Thank you for all your replies team!

I went through the threads in which the seagate dockster and the Asus modems were being used as torrent downloaders, Point is, you cannot leave it like a PC and cannot be upgraded in the future, If i build a simple PC, then i can upgrade it sometime in the future

The dockster thread mentioned about the device getting disconnected and was not connecting back to the network automatically, modems that were being used had its side of the story as well

So what is the cheapest config which money can buy in India?

I bought a cheap HTPC. Total cost 6200

Sempron 140+Mobo - 3.9K (Upgradable to DDR3 Mobo too)

1GB RAM - 1K

Case with 300W PSU- 1600K

500GB HDD (Already had)

Atoms can never be upgraded, so very bad option. Here I have a PCI-E GFX Card (SVideo Out) and a PCI Wifi Card attached. I also have 4 SATA and 1 IDE Port. I can even get a DDR3 Board and get DDR3 RAM. With a 8600GT can even game a bit on it.

Works brilliant, has optical out, so connected to my sound system, to watch movies on TV. Works 24/7 as downloader/HTPC/Server. I even stream all movies and all off that. Its just brilliant.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Here is my detailed config as requested by ajo_alex

MOBO + CPU -- combo deal of 3.9K Mobo is Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P i think

1 GB RAM -- 1K

500GB WD Green -- 1.5K Approx (Was lying around)

PCI-E 8600GT -- 1K (Again lying around)

PCI Wireless Card -- Rs 500

Circle Case -- Rs 1600

DVD Drive - Rs 900 Had an old ASUS one.

Loaded XP on it, started uTorrent and WebUI. Using Boxee to manage my movies and tv shows. Streaming is being contemplated. Thats about it.

Back