Chandrayaan-I

Tech, but of a different kind.

India's first moon mission - Chandrayaan - I, was in the news lately as NASA added on two payloads.

From Indian Express -
"Marking the beginning of a renewed Indo-US space cooperation, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) today signed Memoranda of Understanding for carrying US scientific instruments on India’s Chandrayaan-1 moon mission slated for 2007-08. NASA administrator Michael Griffin, who is touring India to see Indian space capabilities, and ISRO chairman G Madhavan Nair signed two MOUs to define the scope of experiments, sharing of responsibilities and data on the maiden Indian moon mission.

Chandrayaan-1 will, apart from Indian and European payloads, carry a NASA Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) to study mineral resources on the moon and a mini synthetic aperture radar to look for ice deposits in its polar regions. "

More here
http://www.indianexpress.com/story/4113.html
http://in.rediff.com/news/2006/may/02moon.htm

More thinking: What if we didn’t waste any money on each country coming up with their own moon vehicle, and instead devoted all those funds to a worldwide space org? Let’s see. Neil Armstrong went to the moon in July 1969. Since then Russia, China, Japan, Europe and my uncle have tried for this. Instead if we had one common body, would we not have had a base on the moon by now?

If Europe can have one space agency, then why cant the world?

Yeah yeah, I know, defense and all that BS.

-- Also posted on my blog.

A total waste of money.....Why do they want to go to the moon now?? They think they are some super geniuses who will find water or something else there when everyone else has failed??

Pathetic....

They would be better off spending the money on the poor people of the country. If we had 400 Crores of SURPLUS cash after making India Utopia and paying off all our international debts, then fine... go ahead and go to space...

But in the present situation ,it is a terrible waste of money..

Hmm, I would not call space exploration exactly a waste of money, because the benefits of these do trickle down. But inventing the wheel again, and repeating efforts already carried out all over the world raises my gorge....

Back