Can I use a ADSL+ modem plus wifi router as a standalone wifi router?

I have decided not to complicate my life with the adsl+ modem plus wifi router but just go for a standalone router. I will decide later on what to do when I get back to home base.
This way things become simple and I only need to buy a adsl modem router (wired) when I go back or I may sell the new wifi router and buy a adsl modem cum wifi router.
Meanwhile, when I next go back to Mumbai for the weekend, I can try to set up the MTNL ADSL modem plus wifi router as a wifi router for Tikona. So I'll have the Tikona connection with a wifi router in Pune and use the MTNL provided modem router as a wifi router in Mumbai temporarily.
The Pune flat is over 1000 sq ft, 2 bhk but in terms of distance and obstruction, it is probably less daunting than Mumbai. The cheapest wifi routers I know about are the TP=Link WR740N and 720N. The 720N has an internal antenna. While this makes for a cleaner installation, does it seriously limit the range? There is also a SMC WBR14S-N 150. Anyone knows how good that is?

I have decided not to complicate my life with the adsl+ modem plus wifi router but just go for a standalone router. I will decide later on what to do when I get back to home base.
ok, but tp-link td-w8968 was made for your requirement, in fact it exceeds it because it also has 3G option. Going by the surpsingly detailed for FK user review, the only con is its low read/write usb speed with external storage. Prolly a driver issue that might be resolved in future f/w.

You wanted all in one, this is it.

Your requirement indicates you only use the device a few hours a day. In which case a adsl+wifi router is fine for you. If you were the type that kept the device on 24x7x365 it would not be as modems tend to die earlier, this is why its recommended to seperate modem from wifi router.

This way things become simple and I only need to buy a adsl modem router (wired) when I go back or I may sell the new wifi router and buy a adsl modem cum wifi router.
Meanwhile, when I next go back to Mumbai for the weekend, I can try to set up the MTNL ADSL modem plus wifi router as a wifi router for Tikona. So I'll have the Tikona connection with a wifi router in Pune and use the MTNL provided modem router as a wifi router in Mumbai temporarily.
The Pune flat is over 1000 sq ft, 2 bhk but in terms of distance and obstruction, it is probably less daunting than Mumbai. The cheapest wifi routers I know about are the TP=Link WR740N and 720N. The 720N has an internal antenna. While this makes for a cleaner installation, does it seriously limit the range? There is also a SMC WBR14S-N 150. Anyone knows how good that is?
Surprisingly no in your case, and its the 702N, it will cover your requirement adequately since it has now changed to just wifi router. 1 wall+20 feet should be ok. I'd have preferred it was a N300 but N150 is ok for your requirement.

Its a multifunctional device and can also act as a client (its main forte) out of the box. Very useful and works well as a travel router. Bear in mind it only has one ethernet port, so if you want to attach more wired devices you will have to get a switch.

Its better than the smc.

Your requirement indicates you only use the device a few hours a day. In which case a adsl+wifi router is fine for you. If you were the type that kept the device on 24x7x365 it would not be as modems tend to die earlier, this is why its recommended to seperate modem from wifi router.
That is mainly why I am going separate.

Surprisingly no in your case, and its the 702N, it will cover your requirement adequately since it has now changed to just wifi router. 1 wall+20 feet should be ok. I'd have preferred it was a N300 but N150 is ok for your requirement.

Its a multifunctional device and can also act as a client (its main forte) out of the box. Very useful and works well as a travel router. Bear in mind it only has one ethernet port, so if you want to attach more wired devices you will have to get a switch.

Its better than the smc.
Actually I was talking about the 720N not the 702N. The 720N seems similar to the 740 but with an internal antenna.

Actually I was talking about the 720N not the 702N. The 720N seems similar to the 740 but with an internal antenna.
720N

It should be fine, given you were happy with the mtnl router which offers basic performance.

Your MTNl router will not work directly connected to the Pune Tikona connection.

It can work as an AP connected off some other router that does NAT.

I purchased the TP link WR740N from Flipkart, got delivery, installed and working smoothly.
Thanks to all in this thread who helped.

Back