Buying New Floorstanders + Subwoofer

bollywood

Disciple
I would to like to buy this setup and would like your comments / better suggestions for products that are available for same budget :

1. Floor standing speakers : FOCAL Chorus series model 816V cost 75 K

2. Sub woofer : Polk Audio : DSW PRO 600 (500 w 12" ) Cost : 25 K

i listened to this in a place and really liked the punch and clarity of these speakers.

any suggestions are welcome.

The sub doesn't go with the speakers at all. The Pro is very, very sluggish and the Chorus is almost the opposite.

Why do you need a sub with the Chorus? The floorstanders go down to 40Hz, so you can expect in-room response down to about 35. Do you listen to a lot of very bass-heavy music? I suggest starting with the speakers alone, then add the sub if you feel there's something missing. Normally the response in your room will be totally different from the showroom.

Chaos said:
Err instead of spending 25k on a so so sub, rather get speakers worth 100k. What amp are you getting?

chorus has got another model which has got four drivers instead of 2 in these.

currently have a yamaha AMP , but planning to buy a new DENON.

suggestions for AMP are welcome.

2. please suggest a better SUB , i would need it to be added to another system.

bollywood said:
chorus has got another model which has got four drivers instead of 2 in these.
currently have a yamaha AMP , but planning to buy a new DENON.
suggestions for AMP are welcome.

2. please suggest a better SUB , i would need it to be added to another system.

Whats your total budget? Putting a good pair of speakers like Focal Chorus on a cheapie like yamaha is sacrilege.

I would be partial to a pair of Dynaudio Focus, they're standmounts I know but absolutely brilliant at that price point (70-75K, add 25K for good stands), with all the bass you'll ever need in medium-sized rooms.

Dali also has a very good floorstander, I think the Ikon, at roughly the same price. It's modelled on their top-end Helicon series, with slightly cheaper cabinetry but with some excellent drivers. Very accurate bass.

I agree with the comments on the amp. You should let us know your total budget so a proper recommendation can be made. Don't consider the Yamaha or the Denons, we can do much better here.

If it's about 100K, I would put about 30K into a C370 or CA640, and put the rest into one of the above speakers. If it's 70K, the split would be 25/45, and the choices would be different.

Subs: What is this 'other' system you speak of, in what room and for what kind of music/movies? Give us a little more info so we can point in the right direction. I'm not much of a sub guy but have heard quite a few in the last couple of weeks.

Funny, I thought the DSW was one of the tightest subs I have heard (not to be confused with Polk PSW which has very flabby and pedestrian bass)

Problem with subs is you need to spend a lot (and I mean a lot) of time before you get the setup just right

sangram said:
I would be partial to a pair of Dynaudio Focus, they're standmounts I know but absolutely brilliant at that price point (70-75K, add 25K for good stands), with all the bass you'll ever need in medium-sized rooms.

Dali also has a very good floorstander, I think the Ikon, at roughly the same price. It's modelled on their top-end Helicon series, with slightly cheaper cabinetry but with some excellent drivers. Very accurate bass.

The Focus 140 is an excellent speaker but is it still 75k? I thought it was more towards 100k and at that price, the Be718 is a significantly better speaker. Infact I recently managed to compare the Usher Be-718 to a Contour 1.3SE and it bested the contour in just about everything.

I'm not a big fan of the Dali to be honest. It has some sweet highs from that dual tweeter configuration but the midrange is a bit muffled. At slightly less, one can get the Monitor Audio RS6 which is far more refined. There's also the Usher X718 bookshelf for 55k or so which I had for a week and half and that was very nice for the price.

Another option is buying a used factory refurbished pair of Cadence Electrostats. I hear they go for around 85k for the Amaya MKII. Those are top class speakers.

When I heard the Ikon they were driven by a pair of tube monoblocks, so no complaints on the midrange from me. I did feel the bass a little light but I don't pay much attention to bass in auditions - the room usually matters more than the speakers.

I think you can get the 140 near 80 with some haggling.

Not heard the Monitor Audio so can't comment, same for the Ushers. They do make decent drivers, so hopefully the speakers are good.

The Cadence would be excellent, I'd like to hear where one can pick them up. My mains need replacing.

^^This thread should help you out

FYI: Cadence latest price list, Stereo - HIFI-FORUM

I heard the Ikon 6 side by side with a Monitor Audio RS6 and an Usher 6311. The RS6 was the most revealing of the lot but the Usher sounded the most balanced with very good bass and imaging. They were driven by the Odyssey Candela+Stratos combo. The Ikon frankly I didn't particularly care about. It sounded congested when I tried Stravinsky's Royal March and then midrange seemed to have a false sense of fullness which muddied up the sound when I tried Rebecca Pidgeon's version of Spanish Harlem and also Solitaire from Carpenters.

Another interesting speaker around 80-90k is the Odyssey Syren, the smaller brother of the Odyssey Lorelei which essentially is a copy of the Symphonic Line Legato Floorstander.

thanks to all for helping. my total budget is around 100 k with a +- factor of 10-15 K. that includes AMP and speakers.

if possible also guide me where to buy the suggestions from ?

Back