Buy 4th gen mobo or upgrade to new gen?

laraibsidd

Disciple
My msi Z97 motherboard died.
I am having difficulty finding a motherboard for my i5 - 4690k, htat supports m2 and high frequency ram.
So i am stuck with buying a motherboard like h81-m. It doesn't have m2 slot and 1600 mhz ram support.
Should i switch too a new gen mobo+combo like 10400f+B460MDS3H 20500 or get the h81-m.
I am on a tight budget but can manage the combo.
I am confuse because the processor is good and i didn't face any issues.
And intel 12th gen is gonna launch too which will make the prices go lower for the others.

P.S: If anyone has a motherboard that supports the following do ping me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on a tight budget but can manage the combo.
And intel 12th gen is gonna launch too which will make the prices go lower for the others.
You have your answer in your statement. Buy the new generation and sell off your old stuff here or somewhere else.
Don't wait for 12th gen as it's going to be a buggy mess a few months initially.

The Galax H81M is probably the only name-brand 4th gen motherboard that you can buy new these days.

I don't think haswell processors can support higher than 1600 Mhz ram speed.

Haswell Refresh 4X90 processors can, the i5 4590/4690 on Z97 runs memory at 1866MHz at default bios settings.

Should i switch too a new gen mobo+combo like 10400f+B460MDS3H 20500 or get the h81-m.

That's actually a good price for that combo, I was going to suggest a H410 but the pricing wouldn't be much lower. You'll also need to account for DDR4 memory for this upgrade though.

I had msi z97 guard pro

Do you know how the motherboard died?

The Galax H81M is probably the only name-brand 4th gen motherboard that you can buy new these days.

Haswell Refresh 4X90 processors can, the i5 4590/4690 on Z97 runs memory at 1866MHz at default bios settings.

That's actually a good price for that combo, I was going to suggest a H410 but the pricing wouldn't be much lower. You'll also need to account for DDR4 memory for this upgrade though.

Do you know how the motherboard died?
I am just thinking of selling my pc parts sold the gpu and cabinet.
Already have a cabinet in place.
Thinking of selling the processor on ram if i find suitable buyers.
My mobo died because a rat pissed on the IC.

Back