PC Peripherals Budget HTPC - Done

superczar

Skilled
Here is where the whole quest started:

So here is another HTPC question.

My current system (AMD 64-3200+ Geforce 6800, Win XP) seems to be doing a good job handling DVDs and HD rips but

a) Is really noisy

b) tends to lose A/V sync in 1080p

c) Looks ugly in its beige box setup next to my AV equipment

So I decided to build a new HTPC that should:

a) handle 1080p videos without issues

b) Run cool & quiet

c) look good

CPU: E2160 - Any other chips that run cooler and can handle 1080p?

MoBo Jetway IN73M2 ( North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 7100, South Bridge nForce 630i)

RAM 1 GB

GPUI dunno...would the onboard 7100 be sufficient for 1080p..thats the cooles and least noisy option, else folks have recommended the 2400/2600XT in another thread I started

Cabby I dunno..plz recommend

Here is what I ended up doing, and when I totalled up the expenses, it was far less that what I had though I'll end up spending, hence the title :p

I am posting this since this may serve as a decent HTPC build guide for others

CPU : E2160 - A decent and amazing VFM CPU..chosen for its low TDP , power consumption and price

I havent been able to tax it over 40% on any HTPC application as yet which means this may be the perfect HTPC CPU (given its low power consumption)

MoBo: a nf7050 LGA 775 Mobo. I got one from Zebronics, thanks to Rahul, though others may be better off picking an equivalent Asus/Jetway/Biostar for better support

RAM 2 Gigs is the minimum needed these days so picked a basic Transcend 2GB stick. Saiyan recommended 2X1 GB (for dual channel) but since I was working off a micro-ATX mobo, I decided on a single stick to retain the flexibility to add more RAM if needed

GPU Picked a 8600GT, though a 8500GT will do as well. Ati cards are difficult to get hold of in Chennai.

I was apprehensive about a 8600GT since Ati AVIVO (on the HD 2xxx/3xxx series) is supposed to handle HD better than nVidisa's purevideo HD (from the info floating around on various forums)

Thankfully, the new 169.25 forceware drivers from nVidia have resolved Purevideo HD issues and a nvidia 8500/8600is as good a buy as any other for HTPCS apps now

HDD Using my existing HDD and ODD though the new single platter 320/500 from Seagate are supposed to run cooler & quieter than the older ones.

The raptors are not suited for a HTPC if you are picky about noise.

CPU Cooler I couldnt find any low CFM CPU coolers in Ritchie so postponed it for later..seems like I'll not be needing it anymore though..read on for why

Casing I was planning to pick a Antec NSK 2400 which (thankfully) wasn't available

After some bit of looking around, Kamal (Delta peripherals) recommended a Zebronic Pro Cube Cabby which we ended up picking

All I can say is it turned out to be an excellent buy

It is essentially a SilverStone Sugo SG01 (black) clone

There are two chambers inside with the 1st chamber swivelling away to reveal the lower chamber for the Mobo

The top chamber takes the HDDs (In a removable bracket), the PSU and the ODD

Thw lower chamber takes the Mobo/CPU/Cards

The lower chamber has low CFM inlet and exhaust fans while the upper chamber has one low CFM inlet

The chassis damping is very good and the notorious Intel Fan on the E2160 cannot be hard from outside :O

The only noise that the system now makes is the PSU fan which I guess I will replace with a low CFM one

As for the looks, it's subjective, but I find it OK..It doesnt look great, neither does it draw attention to itself on account of ugliness

In any case, it gels much better with my Marantz Amp and AVR as compared to any ATX tower

Sound My Existing M-Audio USB board

Software

I was planning to use Vista but the M-Audio card still has only beta Drivers for whicih in which SPDIF passthrough is broken so I am using XP

Video : After much troubleshooting, I was able to enable near flawless 1080p videos at CPU utils as low as 20-25% and 720p at 10-15%

The playback software being used is MPlayer for Windows and the GFX drivers are nvidia Forceware 169.25

The audio output for movies is SPDIF passthrough for AC3/DTS and PCM 2-channel 24bit for regular

Audio My favorite UI for audio is iTunes and my favorite player for SQ is Foobar in ASIO mode

I am getting the best of both worlds with iTunes as the front-end using foobar as the background player (Using Multi-plugin)

Phew...bored of typing...I'll add pics and TV setup details later

sure sir..will do that tonight...

I should have clicked the pics of the Cabby innards while building,,anyway, will post the finished setup pics tonight

superczar said:
Here is where the whole quest started:

GPU Picked a 8600GT, though a 8500GT will do as well. Ati cards are difficult to get hold of in Chennai.

I was apprehensive about a 8600GT since Ati AVIVO (on the HD 2xxx/3xxx series) is supposed to handle HD better than nVidisa's purevideo HD (from the info floating around on various forums)

Thankfully, the new 169.25 forceware drivers from nVidia have resolved Purevideo HD issues and a nvidia 8500/8600is as good a buy as any other for HTPCS apps now

CPU Cooler I couldnt find any low CFM CPU coolers in Ritchie so postponed it for later..seems like I'll not be needing it anymore though..read on for why

gpu card

well nice 8600 gt DDR3 card for happy gaming :rofl:

cpu cooler

if you want small cooler running 24/7 you need some powerful cooler

i heard many 1080 p need aveg 50-80 % cpu usage

so the cpu might heat up

CPU Cooler Charts 2008, Part 3 - Are Box Coolers any Good? | Tom's Hardware

there are variety of fan you can purchase from usa site

you need some good cooler thermalright ultra 120 mm i recommend for running 24/7 without oc or /oc litte extra or there are different brand of cooler

can run at 60-70 % usage or full loading using 1080 p

at 24/7

remember i met you few day ago :huh:

well nice 8600 gt DDR3 card for happy gaming

Arun, there iis actually no gaming involved, neither do I intend to OC it :)

perhaps a once in a blue moon round of NFS (which is also doubtful)

remember i met you few day ago

of course I do!

That was on Saturday when I & Saiyan were hunting around for a casing

nice nice!!!!, budget HTPC but where is the budget????? and the pics please, btw congratulations on the purchase.

The total expense was sub 15K IIRC

another question: wud a geforce 8400 or shud it be an 8500 series only? be able to handle the same? looking for a similar setup for a friend :) (might get an E2140 for the job, i might just give him mine :) )

Also, he wants HDMI. so any NVIDIA cards out there with an HDMI-out?

Good solution. Waiting for pics.

Do you keep the PC in standby or boot it up everytime you want to use the m/c?

My friend came to me today morning and asked me about a fast bootup OS for HTPC. I told him to look at geexbox. But I'm really not sure on a a fast bootup OS for HTPC.

techie_007 said:
another question: wud a geforce 8400 or shud it be an 8500 series only? be able to handle the same? looking for a similar setup for a friend :) (might get an E2140 for the job, i might just give him mine :) )

Also, he wants HDMI. so any NVIDIA cards out there with an HDMI-out?

Any of the below cards supports UVD and Purevideo:

Purevideo: All 8x00 and 9x00 series cards from nVidia except the 8800 Ultra/GTX/GTS640/GTS320

UVD: ATi HD 3xx0/2x00 series

That's it.

:)

Payne

Looking forward for the pics of the setup...

Also... The added bonous would be if one could easily operate the whole setup just by a remote and not with a keyboard and a mouse... There was a thread today which had a pic with something on similar lines...

P.S. You can atleast share the pic of the silverstone cabby whose clone you have picked up for the time being...

Switchyboy, here is a pic of the silverstone

silverstone_sg01-black.jpg

I am planning to setup a remote receiver for this that can utilize the Marantz universal learning remote that I currently use to control the TV/TataSky/AV receiver/Amp/subwoofer/AC in my AV room

I'll have to play around with the remote sensor on the Pinnacle Tuner/capture card else I'll have to build a winLIRC receiver (sub Rs. 100 but meesa too lazy to hunt for components) since nothing seems available off the shelf

@Techhead: I am still using the PSU from my old Athlon setup ..It's one of those old Zebronics PSUs that were a step up from the generic ones that come in basic Zebronics cabinets..It's not an Overclockers' PSU but the E2160/8600GT seem to be happily chugging along on it

(For all I know, they need less power than a Winchester + 6800)

Now thats not expected from you... Get off your ass and hunt down the last component you need for making that remote to work...

As i am sensing it looks like you are gonna have one complete room... Nice work there SC...

P.S. I think you forgot to attach the pic :p or i need to get my eyes/browser checked :S

Back