Storage Solutions Bittorrent shortens hard disk life

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
like others said, why not use a USB drive for downloading, and use disk caching, if your client allows

sudhanshu123

Adept
Mar 17, 2011
New Delhi
@raksrules,any explanation as to how the seedbox would upload at far far better speeds(assuming ,when compared to a traditional desktop setup),because AFAIK, in India we get fixed speeds?how can the seedbox exceed this limit...(considering a normal PC would also be able to reach the UL speeds a seedbox can...,i think),and @OP,i also have the same connection from MTNL,but due to some fault in their system,they have been providing me 4mbps DL speed at no extra cost(since close to 1 year now,hehe)...(the UL speed has not been affected).

Last edited by a moderator:

varkey

Skilled
Sep 8, 2006
Bengaluru / Cochin
www.varkey.in
^ What @raksrules meant by a seedbox is a dedicated server/vps in some data-center with really good up/down speeds. You just add the torrents to client installed on the server which downloads and seeds on your behalf.

You can easily achieve speeds in MB/s easily.

It is not a computer/laptop attached to your MTNL or Indian broadband connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

DigitalDude

Skilled
Apr 20, 2008
Chennai
raksrules,any explanation as to how the seedbox would upload at far far better speeds(assuming ,when compared to a traditional desktop setup),because AFAIK, in India we get fixed speeds?how can the seedbox exceed this limit...(considering a normal PC would also be able to reach the UL speeds a seedbox can...,i think),and @OP,i also have the same connection from MTNL,but due to some fault in their system,they have been providing me 4mbps DL speed at no extra cost(since close to 1 year now,hehe)...(the UL speed has not been affected).
seedbox will mostly be in Europe. I was also using a seedbox to get good ratios. now I just download away to glory :D (from seedwave.net was started by some TE members only.... dunno if they are still around)
also in certain private trackers (like bitme, IPT etc) we have to inform the mods that we are using a seedbox and also provide it's IP address so that they don't consider it as suspicious activity.

_

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
Dec 31, 2007
New Delhi
My Verbatim hard drive (I think it was a Toshiba drive inside) connected to my pogoplug also died recently, but I suspect that had more to do with the poor quality of the drive than anything else.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
seedbox will mostly be in Europe. I was also using a seedbox to get good ratios. now I just download away to glory :D (from seedwave.net was started by some TE members only.... dunno if they are still around)
also in certain private trackers (like bitme, IPT etc) we have to inform the mods that we are using a seedbox and also provide it's IP address so that they don't consider it as suspicious activity.

_

Former seedwave member here. In fact i was one of the first to join. And yes it all started here with zanderzone and akshay doing all the initial stuff including helping noobs like me to do all setups.
Had a lovely time when i had upload almost 2+TB on the planet earth 1080p bluray :p
I bought seedbox only because the chinese started throttling my connection on torrents and on 2 Mbps i used to get less than 10 kBps downloads even on private trackers.
Later on i left the seedbox as they screwed with the direct download speeds over the seedbox too. Don't know how they do that.

In fact i strongly recommend seedbox for a limited time if you are not keen on spending much. You can bump the ratio very fast and then use that ratio to keep downloading.
Recently i got a warning on IPT about 35 hit and runs and i zapped all of them using my points. ;)

But the stupid people at BWT disabled my account due to inactivity and now asking 10$ to reinstate it again. Not paying as of now at least.

Arjun

Skilled
Oct 21, 2005
Delhi
I have a seagate IDE 7200.10 bought 5 years back running utorrent 24/7 , still running , HD sentinel shows power on time 1735 days = 4.75 years

3esxgbP.png

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
Dec 31, 2007
New Delhi
So I need to buy a new external 2.5" drive for 24*7 torrent usage on the pogoplug. Which one should I go for? Or are failure rates similar across all companies? Does any company give a 5 year warranty on 2.5" drives?

rads

Adept
Feb 16, 2012
Few links and more information please :)

Sure.. what do you want to know ??

Link ? go to LowEndTalk/Box.com

On topic,

24x7 hard disk usage definitely shortens the life span, but doesn't mean it will die after a year or so.
Mine, usb hdd runs almost 24x7 .. and its been doing so for last 1.5 years .. no probs what so ever.

My suggestion is to secure your setup first.. sudden power failure and power surges are the biggest disk killer IMO.

And if want to simply seed tors.. then just get a seedbox , its cheap enough these days.

Chao !

axeman

Ye Olde Systems Breaker
Skilled
Apr 28, 2009
Asleep 1-4
www.torrentleech.org
In your torrent downloader, there will be an option - cache/ disk write out interval/ flush interval - set it to as high as possible looking at the amount of RAM you have on the downloader like 128 mb etc. Then it will write to disk only when it has filled a buffer of 128 mb in ram, this may help you reduce the number of write cycles. Problem: in case of power failure, you may lose upto 128 mb of downloaded data, and same will be downloaded afresh.

raja_mastana

Adept
Apr 9, 2006
I guess, those settings are there in windows based clients only. I haven't seen such settings in web clients like transmission